IGNORED

More Than 20,000 Rescued, 6 Dead From Catastrophic Louisiana Floods; Federal Emergency Declared

WorthyNewsBot

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.96
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

9 hours ago, other one said:

Neb, I haven't seen these stories, even on my facebook feed....   I've looked for them but no one I have found is mentioning them....  I heard  Donald talking about how the people were helping each other but not a lot of stories that I assumed would be happening.

Here you go:

- - - - - - - - 

Lionel Rainey III

Micro-Aggression vs. Macro-Affection

This is why one of the worst natural disasters in a decade isn't being covered by national news outlets: the story of Louisiana doesn't fit their click-crazed, micro-aggression narrative. The story of Louisiana isn't playing out like the case of Alton Sterling, when the media was able to throw gas on the fire by dividing us into their ratings-driven boxes: skin color, gender, sexual orientation, age, economic status. The story of Louisiana isn't one of micro-aggressions, hashtags and quick sound bites. The story of Louisiana is neighbors from different backgrounds, different religions, different ethnicities, from all across our state coming to the aid of people they never met, and would likely never see again. It's the shelters that can't take any more donations because of the incredible outpouring of support from the same people whose homes were underwater. It's the men and women of all shapes, sizes, colors and creeds getting in a boat, going into unknown neighborhoods, and helping their fellow man. It's macro-affection from people who've been through floods, hurricanes and oil spills, yet pick themselves up, dust themselves off, and continue helping others. It's people who don't care for the fame or glory, but for the lady down the street who can't get out of her house. It's one of the most beautiful stories I've ever seen - and after four years in the U.S. Coast Guard, I've seen some good ones. So who cares if Fox News or MSNBC has satellite trucks and newsmen parked here for days...the story of Louisiana wouldn't feed their desire for ratings anyway. Macro-Affection doesn't sell papers - it saves lives. I wasn't born here, but I'm as proud as ever to say the story of Louisiana is my story too.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  595
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,039
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

makes sense Neb.  I think we finally saw it on Hannity last night on Fox.

• Group:  Royal Member *
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  91
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  10,596
  • Content Per Day:  3.70
  • Days Won:  25

On 8/20/2016 at 2:28 PM, ayin jade said:

Three or four years ago, my area had a catastrophic flood. I have never seen flooding like that in all my decades in this state.

The governor called a state of emergency. Obama administration denied funding it. My state is still being punished by the feds for john mccain running against him. 

Do you mean the 2014 floods...

http://www.fema.gov/news-release/2014/11/06/president-declares-disaster-arizona

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  105
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,803
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Days Won:  2

If you haven't been here to see it, you wouldn't believe your eyes.

This spring, northern Louisiana was devastated by deadly floods and and now just months later, southern Louisiana is having the same nightmare.  Two "100-year" flooding episodes in same state in the same year. 

Back in March, in the northern flooding, I never saw rains and flooding like that - cemeteries vomiting up floating coffins, cars completely underwater, and displaced people left with nothing. And I've never seen people help each other like that. Ever.

On the night of the worst of it, my elderly mother's house began to leak and two rooms were really getting damaged. It was about 5:00 pm and she placed a call for help/tarping on Facebook. Within the hour men from her church were there with tarps and spent from 6:00 pm to 9:15 pm getting two tarps on her roof in the pouring down deluge and in the pitch black. She lives in the country and her outside light was out. Those men had spent the entire day sandbagging other people's homes - ALL day - and were dog tired before they even got to my mother's house.  Then to have to work when you can't see and torrential rains are knocking you down - all I can say I will forever be grateful.  My mother would have suffered much more loss than she did if no one had helped.

One of the men got a call that his own mother's house (where his bed-ridden brother lives) was going under. He had to leave, of course but his vehicle got stuck in my mother's yard which was a swamp by that point. By the time they got there no one could get close to her road - so a grandson swam there and got inside via a window and stayed with the elderly woman and her son until the rescue workers could get there and take them to the hospital. There house is now uninhabitable and the daughter will be taking her mother  in.

The bed-ridden brother passed away.

So much tragedy here then and all across northern Louisiana and now just months later - southern Louisiana. So many people are helping and have been helping.  Churches are cooking for workers, people are taking people in, and so many people giving so much.

We really don't care about politicians coming here for lip service and photo ops.  We are grateful for people who come here and pitch in like Samaritan's Purse.  They sent a group from New York who stayed here for two month back in the spring.

People up here in the north are still rebuilding, and those in the southern part of our state are still in shock.  Recovery will  happen, but it will be slow to complete.

As I said, if you haven't seen any of it - you wouldn't believe it.

Edited by Jayne

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,795
  • Content Per Day:  6.22
  • Days Won:  58

6 hours ago, Out of the Shadows said:

My mistake then. It was not flood. It was the yarnell hill fire. (Although I do recall a flood disaster that was denied, I cant find it.) 

http://archive.azcentral.com/news/politics/articles/20130913yarnell-fire-appeal-denied.html

I also found an article that showed that under dem or rep governors, the other party's states tended to be denied aid. 

http://www.pewtrusts.org/en/research-and-analysis/blogs/stateline/2013/08/23/disaster-declaration-denials-exasperate-governors