• Followers:  71
  • Topic Count:  340
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  16,834
  • Content Per Day:  4.73
  • Days Won:  81
  • Birthday:  04/02/2000

On 8/15/2016 at 6:34 PM, ayin jade said:

This is a second posting of this bible study. The first one got chopped up in one of the forum upgrades. The methodology and commentaries I used are listed at the end of the study.

Psalm 2

A Messianic psalm. The Messianic Psalms are 2, 8, 16, 22, 23, 24, 40, 41, 45, 68, 69, 72, 89, 102, 110, and 118. Many other Psalms also refer to Christ.

There is, however, every reason to suppose that David was the author; and by those who admit the authority of the New Testament this will not be doubted. The reasons for supposing that its authorship is to be traced to David are the following:

(a) It is expressly ascribed to him in Acts 4:25-26 who by the mouth of Your servant David has said, "Why did the nations rage and the people imagine vain things? The kings of the earth stood up, and the rulers were gathered together against the Lord and against His Christ."

(b) This is the common opinion respecting its origin among Hebrew writers.

It is not possible to ascertain the exact time when it was composed; nor can we now ascertain what was the occasion on which it was written. The probability would seem to be that the psalm was not designed to refer to anything which had occurred in the time of the author himself, but, that the writer intended to refer mainly to the Messiah

Literary construction
It naturally falls into four parts, of three verses each.

I. In the first Psa_2:1-3 the conduct and purposes of the raging nations are described.

II. In the second part Psa_2:4-6 the feelings and purposes of God are described.

III. In the third part Psa_2:7-9 the King himself, the Anointed One, speaks, and states the decree which had been formed in reference to himself, and the promise which had been made to him.

IV. In the fourth part Psa_2:10-12 the psalmist exhorts the rulers of the nations to yield to the claims of the Anointed One, threatening divine wrath on those who should reject him, and promising a blessing on those who should put their trust in him.

The second Psalm gives the order of the establishment of the kingdom in six parts:

1) The rage of the Gentiles, the vain imagination of "people", and the antagonism of rulers against Jehovah's anointed (Psa_2:1-3). The inspired interpretation of this is in (Act_4:25-28) which asserts its fulfilment in the crucifixion of Christ.

2) The derision of Jehovah (Psa_2:4) that men should suppose it possible to set aside His covenant (2Sa_7:8-17) and oath (Psa_89:34-37).

3) The vexation (Psa_2:5) (to be fully fulfilled more completely in the tribulation (Mat_24:29) which immediately precedes the return of the King).

4) The establishment of the rejected King upon Zion (Psa_2:6).

5) The subjection of the earth to the King's rule (Psa_2:7-9) and

6) the present appeal to the world powers. (Psa_2:10-12).

The main thought is pursued through the whole of it - the exalted claims and ultimate triumph of him who is here called “the Anointed;” the vanity of opposition to his decrees; and the duty and advantage of yielding to his authority. The psalm, in its construction, is one of the most perfect in the Book of Psalms, according to the special ideal of Hebrew poetry.

Some New Testament references
Acts 4 (above) and Acts 13 show the link with this psalm and the Messiah. Paul notes that it was a doctrine of the Old Testament that the Messiah was to rise from the dead. Acts 13:32-33 And we preach the gospel to you, the promise made to the fathers, this God has fulfilled to us their children, raising up Jesus, as also it is written in the second Psalm, "You are My Son, this day I have begotten You.” And again, the same passage is quoted by Paul to establish the exalted rank of the Messiah as being above the angels: Hebrews 1:5 For to which of the angels did He say at any time, "You are My Son, this day I have begotten You?" And again, "I will be to Him a Father, and He shall be to Me a Son?"

The psalm had an original and exclusive reference to the Messiah as shown by:

1) It is so applied in the New Testament, and is referred to in no other way.

In Act_4:24-27, the apostles quote the first verses of the psalm, and referring them to Christ: Acts 4:24-7 And having heard, they lifted up their voice to God with one accord and said, Lord, You are the God who made the heaven and earth, and the sea, and all that is in them; who by the mouth of Your servant David has said, "Why did the nations rage and the people imagine vain things? The kings of the earth stood up, and the rulers were gathered together against the Lord and against His Christ." For truly, against Your holy child Jesus, whom You have anointed, both Herod and Pontius Pilate, with the nations, and the people of Israel, were gathered together

Again, the psalm is quoted by Paul Act_13:32-33 as applicable to Christ, and with reference to the fact that it was a doctrine of the Old Testament that the Messiah was to rise from the dead: Acts 13:32-33 And we preach the gospel to you, the promise made to the fathers, this God has fulfilled to us their children, raising up Jesus, as also it is written in the second Psalm, "You are My Son, this day I have begotten You."

And again, in Heb_1:5, the same passage is quoted by Paul to establish the exalted rank of the Messiah as being above the angels: Hebrews 1:5 For to which of the angels did He say at any time, "You are My Son, this day I have begotten You?" And again, "I will be to Him a Father, and He shall be to Me a Son?"

2) In the older Jewish writings, the Talmud, etc., there is a variety of passages in which the Messianic interpretation is given to the psalm.

3) That it refers to the Messiah is manifest from the psalm itself.

a) It cannot be applied to David, or to any other earthly king; that is, there are expressions in it which cannot be applied with any degree of propriety to any earthly monarch whatever.

b) The psalm agrees with the account of the Messiah, or is in its general structure and details applicable to him.

Jesus was raised!

Jesus went through agony and torment and mockery for our sins.