• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  24
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/21/1989

Now I noticed this was debated already, but I want to know what everyone else thinks about that debate and express their views on the "Authority of a Husband." What is the biblical view of the husband and the wife?

Edited by Ariel16

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  208
  • Topic Count:  60
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  8,651
  • Content Per Day:  1.17
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  03/04/1943

:emot-heartbeat:

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.36
  • Days Won:  20

11 hours ago, Ariel16 said:

Now I noticed this was debated already, but I want to know what everyone else thinks about that debate and express their views on the "Authority of a Husband." What is the biblical view of the husband and the wife?

One would expect that given the clear teaching of Scripture, this was non-debatable.  But it is.  The short answer is that the husband is the authority over his wife, just as Christ is the authority over His wife (the Church).  See Ephesians 5. This is God-given authority, not to be abused but to be used to glorify God, and to provide the wife (and children) with the spiritual leadership within the home.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,224
  • Content Per Day:  3.34
  • Days Won:  30

I agree with Ezra.  This does not mean the wife should be silent and not voice her wisdom or input.  She was made to be his helper.  The husband deserves the last word and final decision.  Gen 2:20  And Adam gave names to all the livestock and to the birds of the air and to every [wild] beast of the field; but for Adam there was not found a helper meet (suitable, adapted, complementary) for him.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  596
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,043
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

if a husband is being a Christian husband and loving his wife as Jesus loved the Church there are very few women in this world that would not be submissive to him....     but the instructions go both ways and we shouldn't forget that in our discussions.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,402
  • Content Per Day:  0.99
  • Days Won:  28
  • Birthday:  04/26/1971

Yes, the biblical view I understand to be that the husband has authority over the wife.  Now, that said, does anyone know what the penalty is for the husband who fails to exercise his responsibility to do so?  

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  87
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,795
  • Content Per Day:  1.35
  • Days Won:  3

1 hour ago, gdemoss said:

, does anyone know what the penalty is for the husband who fails to exercise his responsibility to do so?  

Hell on earth, followed by divorce court., more or less.

Your NT says something very interesting regarding what makes a relationship work between a man and a woman, no matter if they are saved or lost.

It has more to do with the woman actually.....and its this.....She is to RESPECT her man.......and this is key, as a woman that does not respect her man, who has lost her respect for him, will not ever be happy with this male.

The man is to love-nurture the woman,  but the woman, the NT says, is to RESPECT her husband, and when this is gone the marriage is  a sinking ship if this cant be resolved.

The is why the man has to be the leader, as this is a position she can respect, and if he isnt, ......ouch.

Edited by Behold

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  87
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,795
  • Content Per Day:  1.35
  • Days Won:  3

13 hours ago, Butero said:

Hello Behold.  Your post makes a lot of sense.

Broken Trust and Lack of Respect. = Typical Marriage killers.

Some other popular items that kill marriages would be : 

money issues

too much family influence regarding the husband or wife, as this typically plays out as... "do we have to have them over so much"?...."do we have to go and see them so much"?...."do you need to talk to her 18 times a day"...."can we ever do anything without them"..."why are you always bringing your parents into our personal lives"".....etc.  =  someone in the marriage cant let go of their family at all and have an actual relationship with their mate.

Its also very common for completely incompatible people to get married, and one day someone wakes up and realizes that not only are they incompatible,  they are also strangers.

The reality is... if your mate is not your best friend, then something is WRONG.

Another very difficult marriage to sustain is one where the 2 are not from the same culture.  Online worldwide dating has created this problem in a lot of people's lives.

And i believe you asked me if my NT is different then the normal NT.. = nope.

i stay away from the NIV or the RSV or a Douay Rheims or the "Living".

Edited by Behold

45 minutes ago, Davida said:

1Peter 3:7  "Likewise, ye husbands, dwell with them according to knowledge, giving honour unto the wife, as unto the weaker vessel, and as being heirs together of the grace of life; that your prayers be not hindered."

I think that is significant! As opposed to the idea of some on here making the husband out to have a Dictator given position. I think the husband does have the final say but absolutely no decision can be made w/o having given consideration to the woman. I do not believe woman is to be dominated in the negative sense in which the pro-dictator in that debate said it. You can have authority on your head for certain but not in the way he said it. Imagine "I have decided to move us away from your mothers. What I think is what matters most. This is what I want and that's how it will be." I believe they were made to both have influence in single matter, not the man alone. That would just be inconsiderate of her own feelings and emotions. Although he has the right to make the decision, it would be an abuse of a power that's wielded in an unloving way. That text you quoted has a major place in the health of a marriage.

Edited by Ariel16

So what is everyone's interpretation on Genesis 3:16 which says,

To the woman He said,
“I will greatly multiply