• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  74
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0

1 Peter 3:15

“But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:”

I have a friend who is an atheist; I met him when he was a Christian, or so claimed to be. He was very zealous..knew a lot about the Bible, and seemed to be strong in his faith.

About a year ago, he started saying things that made me wonder about his views, and before long, he was emphatically stating that he is an atheist.

Of course, I have been praying for him and I talk with him when I can. But he is very hostile to anything Christian (or, even any religion at all). I have had to mostly cut ties with him because he is so bitter about it, and he attacks my faith and writes these really long, intellectual comments about how flawed Christianity is; and why he is an atheist.

I don't always have an answer for what he asks, or states..and I wonder: Do I have to always have an answer? Is there a point where you just stop trying and pray instead? He's very smart, and I'm nowhere near his level. So I find it difficult to not only answer in an articulate way, but to find an answer as well.

What could I do better to witness to him? I hope this is in the correct forum.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,224
  • Content Per Day:  3.34
  • Days Won:  30

Rev 12:10 WEB  I heard a loud voice in heaven, saying, “Now the salvation, the power, and the Kingdom of our God, and the authority of his Christ has come; for the accuser of our brothers has been thrown down, who accuses them before our God day and night.  Rev 12:11  They overcame him because of the Lamb’s blood, and because of the word of their testimony. They didn’t love their life, even to death.

He has succumbed to the lies of satan, the father of lies.  Yes, there comes a time that you do need to stop arguing.  Instead just share what God has done in you life and is doing in your life--the word of your testimony.  Ignore his mental gymnastics.  Just love him as he is, with compassion.  And pray that his heart will not be hardened by the deceitfulness of sin.  He may have been a Christian intellectually or philosophically; but I doubt if he was a true born again, fully surrendered Christian.  

Heb 10:28  ESV   Anyone who has set aside the law of Moses dies without mercy on the evidence of two or three witnesses.  Heb 10:29  How much worse punishment, do you think, will be deserved by the one who has trampled underfoot the Son of God, and has profaned the blood of the covenant by which he was sanctified, and has outraged the Spirit of grace?

Pray that God might call him back to Himself.  He is without hope if he continues to reject God's voice and call.

1 hour ago, Willa said:

Rev 12:10 WEB  I heard a loud voice in heaven, saying, “Now the salvation, the power, and the Kingdom of our God, and the authority of his Christ has come; for the accuser of our brothers has been thrown down, who accuses them before our God day and night.  Rev 12:11  They overcame him because of the Lamb’s blood, and because of the word of their testimony. They didn’t love their life, even to death.

He has succumbed to the lies of satan, the father of lies.  Yes, there comes a time that you do need to stop arguing.  Instead just share what God has done in you life and is doing in your life--the word of your testimony.  Ignore his mental gymnastics.  Just love him as he is, with compassion.  And pray that his heart will not be hardened by the deceitfulness of sin.  He may have been a Christian intellectually or philosophically; but I doubt if he was a true born again, fully surrendered Christian.  

Heb 10:28  ESV   Anyone who has set aside the law of Moses dies without mercy on the evidence of two or three witnesses.  Heb 10:29  How much worse punishment, do you think, will be deserved by the one who has trampled underfoot the Son of God, and has profaned the blood of the covenant by which he was sanctified, and has outraged the Spirit of grace?

Pray that God might call him back to Himself.  He is without hope if he continues to reject God's voice and call.

Thank you, Wilma.

I do try to share what God has done in my life, but he then turns it into an intellectual thing or just decides to change the subject.

At this point, I feel like I should just pray for him. He knows who I am. He knows what the Bible says, and he knows he is wrong. It just breaks my heart for him.

I think you may very well be right that he was just an intellectual Christian, because before he was a Christian, he had tried out all different kinds of religion. After he went to atheism, he talked about how he had tried out a lot of different religions and they were all bad.

I will continue to give my testimony to him when I speak with him, but for now, I guess I should just hold off.

God Bless,

Adara

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  138
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Birthday:  12/15/1941

I agree. It's sad to see Christians fail to witness when the opportunity is right in front of them. Yes, we all need to be ready.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.36
  • Days Won:  20

On 8/19/2016 at 11:37 AM, Adara said:

Do I have to always have an answer?

No you don't. When the Lord Jesus Christ was asked by what authority He did the things He did, He turned around and asked a question which stumped His adversaries. You can do the same.

Atheism is one of the most irrational beliefs that exist. You can ask this question: "Can anything create itself?" That should stump every atheist.

Guest Robert

Adara, you also don't have to answer every question right then and there. It's okay to tell someone "I don't know, but let me research that for you".
Also keep in mind: we may not be the one to reach certain people. One plants, another waters, but it is God who gives the increase. We may just be one step the Lord uses in a series to bring someone to Himself.

16 hours ago, Ezra said:

No you don't. When the Lord Jesus Christ was asked by what authority He did the things He did, He turned around and asked a question which stumped His adversaries. You can do the same.

Atheism is one of the most irrational beliefs that exist. You can ask this question: "Can anything create itself?" That should stump every atheist.

Thank you, Ezra! I will remember that one.

15 hours ago, RobertS said:

Adara, you also don't have to answer every question right then and there. It's okay to tell someone "I don't know, but let me research that for you".
Also keep in mind: we may not be the one to reach certain people. One plants, another waters, but it is God who gives the increase. We may just be one step the Lord uses in a series to bring someone to Himself.

Very true, Robert. I guess I would like to be the one to point him back to God, but I would love it of God just used me a little to help bring him back. Anyway, thanks for the input!

• Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  155
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,464
  • Content Per Day:  1.02
  • Days Won:  57
  • Birthday:  12/12/1952

On 8/19/2016 at 0:37 PM, Adara said:

“But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:”

I have a friend who is an atheist; I met him when he was a Christian, or so claimed to be. He was very zealous..knew a lot about the Bible, and seemed to be strong in his faith.

About a year ago, he started saying things that made me wonder about his views, and before long, he was emphatically stating that he is an atheist.

Of course, I have been praying for him and I talk with him when I can. But he is very hostile to anything Christian (or, even any religion at all). I have had to mostly cut ties with him because he is so bitter about it, and he attacks my faith and writes these really long, intellectual comments about how flawed Christianity is; and why he is an atheist.

I don't always have an answer for what he asks, or states..and I wonder: Do I have to always have an answer? Is there a point where you just stop trying and pray instead? He's very smart, and I'm nowhere near his level. So I find it difficult to not only answer in an articulate way, but to find an answer as well.

Hi Adara,

The best thing you can do for him is just what you are doing.  Pray first.  We can only give them the truth and the Holy Spirit does the rest. 

Being smart is not going to get you into Heaven. Don't try to out think him just give him the Gospel.  I knew a girl like that.  I could only share Jesus with her, she rejected until the end.  I felt horrible but finally realized I had done all I could do. Tracy knew the truth, she was responsible for it.  Knowing she went into a Godless eternity was her choice.  Free will, some people don't use it wisely.  

You don't always have the answer, and something tells me he already has the answer but is unwilling to accept it and is trying to trap you.  Sounds to me like your on the right track.

Blessings, RustyAngeL

• 3 weeks later...

• Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  2,352
  • Content Per Day:  0.63
  • Days Won:  1

Hi Adara,

I think there is mostly good advice here. I would add that the response, “I don’t know, but I am happy investigate it further and ask God” is an answer. When I question weaknesses of secular scientific models, they are more than happy to say, “We don’t know yet know all the answers. That is the nature of scientific investigation. But that doesn’t mean we are wrong”. You also have permission to not have all the answers without having to surrender your position or faith.

The Bible teaches;

Isaiah 55:9

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,

So are My ways higher than your ways,

And My thoughts than your thoughts."

So we will never know all the answers. Needing to know all the answers before considering Jesus’ offer of salvation is a wilful act of arbitrary rejection. Knowing all the answers is an impossible expectation. Therefore to require such is unreasonable – indicating that the person has no intention of fairly, thoughtfully, objectively considering your answers anyway.

Be wise enough to not give unnecessary offense. But otherwise, I would encourage you to keep engaging on some level – for your own faith. I have found that discovering answers to challenging questions (or questions I hadn’t previously considered) adds confidence to my faith. And who knows the plans of God? For all you know God is using your fellowship and discussions to impact this person’s life (and maybe others around) towards salvation. Faith is the evidence of things not seen (Hebrews 11:1).

With regards to 1 Peter 3:15, you are encouraged to have a “reason for the hope that is in you” – not necessarily an answer for every possible objection to the Christian faith.

• 3 years later...

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  447
  • Content Per Day:  0.27

On 8/19/2016 at 1:37 PM, Adara said:

"Do what the verse you quoted says---give  to those who ask.

While you wait, pray he will ask