• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,923
  • Content Per Day:  0.61
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  03/22/1953

Imagine someone standing on your door step, pounding and shouting, “Here I am!” Inside the house you go about your business. You do not send him away, nor do you invite him in. Instead you reply to your email, put away the laundry, get dinner on the table.

We ignore the pounding at our hearts because we would rather preserve the appearance of being dignified Christians than stand before the rebuke Christ’s love. We do not want to hear that we are wretched, pitiful, poor, blind and naked when the mirror tells us we are respectable, strong, rich, keen and able to acquire all we need. So we go about the business of the church, attending worship, and holding meetings. All the while the shouting continues, “Here I am!”

Listen for love’s rebuke. The love of Christ calls to us from outside the door of our self-sufficiency. Listen! That is the sound of the eternal I AM proclaiming, “Here I am”. Everything we have ever needed is waiting just outside the door.

Author: Shawna Songer Gaines

http://reflectinggod.com/2016/08/22/here-i-am-2/

This is from my wife's and my daily devotional today.  It generated a discussion which unfortunately we weren't able to pursue very long as she had to leave for work. I'm posting the devotional here in the hopes I may get input from other Christians.

What does it mean - in practical terms - to REALLY invite Jesus into our homes - our lives?

I've been a follower of Christ for over 35 years, but I wonder - are there times when I've relegated Him to the outside of my home - my life?  Of course I don't want to - don't mean to - do that.  I suppose I'm just looking for input from other mature Christians as to whether or not they at times have the same feelings.  If so, how do you deal with them?

Blessings,

-Ed

Edited by SavedByGrace1981

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  9
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

I think to really invite him in means that because you truly believe there is an omnipotent and loving God, you will live every moment from this belief and always desire to follow his will. So in practical terms that would mean being nothing but loving to all people, e.g. being forgiving and merciful and not getting unrighteously angry etc. And also, as I mentioned, following God in every moment in your life, meaning for every decision you make each day doing it for God the best you know how, and if you ever are unsure then pray about it and do your best to do what you think God wants.

Of course none of us can do this perfectly, we all have sin in us which causes us to be cruel to people at times even as simply as snapping at a loved one in anger etc. But we don't need to worry about these things provided we try our best because obviously the sacrifice of Christ has paid for these sins. And if you ever find you feel you are moving away from God - pushing him outside the door - then it's on us to reestablish our faith. That is why daily prayer is so important, to keep our relationship with God strong always

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  521
  • Content Per Day:  0.17

I think it means to invite Him in, and let Him heal us of our sins. Inviting Him in, without being fake about it, He will see us ...and all of our dark spots.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,224
  • Content Per Day:  3.34
  • Days Won:  30

Didn't Isaiah also respond to God's call with those words?.  

I also responded to God by surrendering every area of my life to Him in 1970.  That doesn't mean I haven't slipped from time to time, or have fallen flat on my face.  It does mean that I come to Him asking for help and forgiveness when I miss the mark.  It also means he has chastened me when I get uppity.   Starting with problem areas in my life, I asked God to take over.  When I saw how God had straightened out the problem areas as I obeyed and submitted to His Word, I just gave it all over to Him.  All I accomplished in my own wisdom was to make a mess of my life, so I surrendered it all to Him and have never regretted that decision.  The last thing to be surrendered was all the doubts and questioning about the Bible and God.  At the core was a lack of trust and a little rebellion.  Sin.  The love that God demonstrated in solving those problem areas of my life revealed His loving provision and just melted my heart.  

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  4,568
  • Content Per Day:  0.69

There can be no fellowship or communication if one doesn't open their hearts door and let Jesus in.

"Here I Am" is a biblical term as some have already mentioned.  Samuel kept hearing his name being called and he went to Eli every time and asked him what was it he wanted.  Finally Eli realized that it was the Lord who was actually calling Sameul.  Eli then instructed Samuel to go back to bed and if he heard the voice calling his name again the he was to answer and say "Here I Am Lord Send Me".  Samuel heard the voice again and he did respond to the voice as Eli had instructed him and the Lord gave the prophet Samuel a word to give to Eli in how the Lord was going to bring judgment upon his household as Eli did not discipline his sons as he should have. As a result his sons serving as priest in the temple done wickedness while serving in the temple.

Isaiah also heard the call of God and answered the Lord by saying "Here I Am Lord Send Me".  Both Samuel and Isaiah were called to be prophets or mouth pieces for God.  The Lord would give them message and send them out to whomever he would send them unto and deliver the "Thus saith the Lord" message from God.

Many hear the call of God but will not answer it.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Content Count:  6,570
  • Content Per Day:  1.07
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  10/28/1957

Shalom, SavedByGrace1981.

The answer is really quite simple. "Hiniy, Sh'laacheeniy." "Here, [Sir]. Send me." It's like a military attaché standing before a beloved general saying, "Reporting for duty, Sir!" There's nothing more important than to do the general's bidding.

In our circumstances, it's understanding that there's nothing more important than to do ADONAI'S bidding. Whatever He might order, it's our duty ... and our PRIVILEGE ... to follow those orders EXACTLY as ordered! It's an HONOR to follow His orders because of what He has already provided for us and because we love Him so!