• Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.95
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

On 12/15/2016 at 3:53 PM, Guest BacKaran said:

Exactly KP

Like the Roman Catholic Church who resacrifices over and over again to no avail.

I learned that the animal blood was never removed or washed out of them tabernacle, and was a stark testimony to sinners that they're sins are not forgiven by animal blood, but by the blood of the coming Lamb of God.

And the smell...I can't even imagine being a priest in there...a stark reminder of sins.

Well, not exactly.

blood from the temple

Asked 3 years, 9 months ago
Viewed 7k times

According to the Mosaic Law, blood was to be sprinkled on the altars, before the curtains and other places in the temple.

This would result in many places, especially the curtains, being blood stained if not cleansed regularly.

Is there any mention of if and how the temple was cleaned in The Bible, Jewish literature, or elsewhere?

Share a link to this question
Copy link

|improve this question
BDSa0.png?s=32&g=1
Double AA
87.3k66 gold badges209209 silver badges469469 bronze badges
asked Feb 3 '16 at 9:47
7de38505b098370de00f2bbacc1112d0?s=32&d=
למה זה תשאל לשמילמה זה תשאל לשמי
29922 silver badges44 bronze badges

•  
    Peli, a belated welcome to Mi Yodeya, and thanks for posting this interesting question! I look forward to seeing you around. – Isaac Moses Mar 6 '16 at 3:02

3 Answers 3

It is logical to think that the priests were careful, so that the blood only landed on the floor, and not on the actual curtains.

Regarding Beit HaMikdash, the whole place was covered with aqueducts and water channels from the surrounding rivers/lakes. These would lead the blood (and other remains) outside.

For example, the Mishna in Yoma 5, 6 talks about the blood flowing away and outside into the Kidron river, and even sold to farmers as fertilizer.

Similarly, the Malbim on Vayikra 16, 14 explains the passuk that says "והזה באצבעו על-פני הכפרת", in which it may seem that sprinkling is actually on the כפרת. Mainly:

מלות "על פני" הוא לפעמים על גבו של דבר ממש... ולפעמים הוא נגד גב הדבר... בא ללמד שלא יזה על צד מערב הכפורת, ממש על גבה, רק על פני היינו נגד הגב. ובזה מטה ההזיה לצד קדם, כנגד הכפורת, והטיפים נופלים בארץ.‏

There's also a book by Menasheh Harel, with a whole section discussing "המים לטהרה, להיגיינה ולפולחן בבית המקדש בירושלים" (the water for purification, hygiene and worship in Beit HaMikdash in Jerusalem), in which he discusses this as well.

Share a link to this answer
Copy link

|improve this answer
answered Feb 3 '16 at 10:58
q8Pjo.jpg?s=32&g=1
CauthonCauthon
3,62611 gold badge88 silver badges1717 bronze badges

•  
    There must have been an awful lot of channels, and pretty wide ones. At the dedication of the Temple, Solomon had 22,000 oxen and 120,000 sheep sacrificed - that's a LOT of blood to drain! – Gary Feb 3 '16 at 14:31
  •  
    @Gary Indeed, the mentioned book quotes Josephus who said the number of Pesach sacrifices was 255,600. The book goes on to mention the famous Mishna in Avot about the miracles of no flies, etc. He brings sources of the slopes and channels, if you're interested. – Cauthon Feb 3 '16 at 14:46

To supplement, not supplant, Cauthon's good answer, I'll note that the mishna (Midos chapter 3) says that the altar and its ramp would be cleaned every Friday with a cloth, because of the blood. (This is Rabi's statement, but the commentaries note that he's explaining and not arguing on the other rabbi in the mishna.)

(It's not completely clear to me whether this was a mere wiping or the application of whitewash, though it seems to have been the former. The mishna there discusses "whitening" with whitewash (lime) twice yearly with a trowel, and "whitening" weekly with a cloth. It's possible, as the Sefaria translator seems to think, that the weekly cleaning was whitewashing also, but I see no indication of such in the commentaries on the mishna and don't assume so; indeed, the Rav says "היו מקנחים אותן במפה", which doesn't sound like they used any substance.)

Copy link

|improve this answer
answered Feb 3 '16 at 15:58
78a50094ca87aaed01e076f4c8808ed8?s=32&d=
msh210msh210
68.4k1111 gold badges100100 silver badges305305 bronze badges

In addition to the other answers, we have some evidence that blood did land on the veil in the Holy of Holies when the Kohein Gadol (High Priest) sprinkled it there on Yom Kippur, and that they weren't too good about cleaning it.

The gemara in Meilah 17b quotes the sage R' Elazar Bar R' Yose as having seen the curtain in the treasury in Rome, and it had specks of blood on it. This doesn't preclude the possibility of it being cleaned occasionally, but we see that it wasn't wiped away immediately. (The Temple was destroyed 10 months after the last time the Yom Kippur service was preformed.)

Of course, it's natural that this curtain wouldn't be cleaned much, if ever, as no-one else is ever allowed into the Holy of Holies.

Copy link

|improve this answer
answered Feb 3 '16 at 16:08
40119dd76422b3d9c696051014ae6ff3?s=32&d=
ScimonsterScimonster
22k44 gold badges4545 silver badges102102 bronze badges

•  
    Indeed on further reading, this seems to be a broader machloket, if the blood should touch the parochet, kaporet, etc., or not. – Cauthon Feb 3 '16 at 16:47
  •  
    Note that they may not have had the means of removing bloodstains from the curtain completely. (I don't know how good various methods are at it.) – msh210 Feb 3 '16 at 20:39
  •  
    Remember the medrash about Titus stabbing the curtain and that it bled. I also remember that there is an aggadah that talks about workmen being lowered into the Kodesh Kedoshim to repair things. – sabbahillel Feb 4 '16 at 14:18

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  277
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/23/1967

I think I might spend some time looking for and analyzing types from Scripture. Bible study has been discouraging for me lately because my ability to concentrate is really affected by health, life and likely medication right now. I can study types individually and in shorter segments. This might be just what I need right now. Yay...

• Loved it! 1

• 2 weeks later...

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  447
  • Content Per Day:  0.28

On 8/24/2016 at 7:37 PM, ayin jade said:

One of the upgrades managed to chop up my previous study on typology that I posted in this forum. So I am posting it again. Please ignore the 2010 thread. 

Typology

Scripture is rich in symbolism and of value to study. Images of Jesus (called types) can be seen throughout the Old Testament as well as in direct predictions and promises. Typology is the study of those images.

It is important not to go overboard with typology. While the bible is rich in symbolism of Christ in types, it is easy to get carried away and read too much into what the bible says. Therefore it is wise to take this caution to heart:

1) Do not seek types everywhere
2) Never press the teaching of the type to such an extent as to change the historical character or event in the bible.

The historical events are real but show a prophetic image of the future.

Type is defined as an action or occurrence in which one event, person, or circumstance is intended to represent another, similar to it in some respects but of more importance and generally future. Scripture describes a type as “a shadow of good things to come.” Hebrews 10:1 For the law having a shadow of good things to come, and not the very image of the things, can never with those sacrifices which they offered year by year continually make the comers thereunto perfect. Shadows are not exact resemblances, but only give a dark outline: yet with sufficient distinctness to convey some general idea of the body, especially when afterwards we have the body which to compare them. One distinction between a prophecy and a type is that a prophecy is a prediction by something said—a type usually by something done and presented to our sight. (This paragraph is condensed from All the Messianic Prophecies of the Bible by Herbert Lockyer )

Basically a type is a visual prophetic image, but not necessarily an exact image. The bible abounds with examples of this which will be explored in this study. 

What differentiates a type from a symbol? In all scripture types there is future prophecy. A symbol may represent something past present or future. A type always looks to the future.

Types of types (That’s not confusing lol.)

There are several classifications of types:
1) Types from people
Example: Adam and Christ
2) Types from prescribed offices
3) Types from historic events

Example: Moses and the bronze serpent
4) Types from religious rituals
5) Types from Levitical offerings
6) Types from feasts and festivals

I basically agree with what you say, although I think we should seek types everywhere.  We just need to make sure they are accurate and teach a spiritual truth.  IMO figurative language in the Bible  is a neglected subject.  Yet that is how Jesus taught(Jn 16:25).

The Bible also has allegories, metaphors, metonmy, simile, mysteries, and ever kind of figurative language we use in English today.

My favorite verse in this subject is Col 2:16-17

Love, peace, joy

• Loved it! 1

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  447
  • Content Per Day:  0.28

On 12/1/2019 at 12:04 AM, D-Dawn said:

I think I might spend some time looking for and analyzing types from Scripture. Bible study has been discouraging for me lately because my ability to concentrate is really affected by health, life and likely medication right now. I can study types individually and in shorter segments. This might be just what I need right now. Yay...

A good, helpful source is "Biblical Hermeneutics" by Milton S Terry.

Love, peace, joy

• Loved it! 1