missmuffet

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

Liberal doctrine and theology. Watering down Scripture.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  281
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Days Won:  1

Horrid absence of the Holy Ghost

The Emergent Church is quite popular today. So is the Charismatic Church. :unsure:

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,204
  • Content Per Day:  3.35
  • Days Won:  30

The emergent church sometimes throws off all ties to the creeds and foundations of the church.  It often puts an emphasis on experiences, even occult experiences and eastern meditation.  Sometimes it reverts to amillennialism.  Sometimes it maintains fairly orthodox teaching.  But most often it discards the Bible as man's writings, Paul's ideas, and out of touch with today's society.  It often has a lot of support groups.  In one the pastor curses and uses vulgar language thinking that is how to reach out to unbelievers. Some of the leaders got together in southern California and tossed out scriptures from the Bible that they didn't think were authentic or appropriate.  

If anything can be said about it that I could ascertain, they are greatly divergent and are trying to reinvent the church.  My opinion?  It's a bunch of hogwash! 

17 minutes ago, Yowm said:

'Emergent Church' strange name since they don't like labels or the name 'church'...usually are called 'campuses'.

Hmmm...that is interesting. Taking the label of Church away.

The Vineyard Church movement is a network of Charismatic Churches. They are into tongues,healing and casting out demons.

• Group:  Royal Member *
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  91
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  10,596
  • Content Per Day:  3.73
  • Days Won:  25

23 minutes ago, Yowm said:

'Emergent Church' strange name since they don't like labels or the name 'church'...usually are called 'campuses'.

I think this might not be a bad way to go.  Too many people try to put too many restrictions on "church".  Just found out today that some people think it is wrong to eat at church.  My old Southern Baptist running mates will not be happy to hear that.  :P

• Group:  Royal Member *
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  91
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  10,596
  • Content Per Day:  3.73
  • Days Won:  25

11 minutes ago, missmuffet said:

The Vineyard Church movement is a network of Charismatic Churches. They are into tongues,healing and casting out demons.

My Mother-In-Law has been going to a Vineyard for 15 year or so, they do amazing work in the city they are in.  Say what you want about them, but they walk the walk and dont just talk about it

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,784
  • Content Per Day:  6.23
  • Days Won:  58

What is wrong with it? Everything. They reinvent Jesus. They bring a false gospel. 

Here are some quotes from various emergent church leaders. (Let me be clear: these are the beliefs of the emergent church leaders. These are not my beliefs.)

“We do not think this [Emerging Church Movement] is about changing your worship service. We do not think this is about…how you structure your church staff. This is actually about changing theology. This is about our belief that theology changes. The message of the gospel changes. It’s not just the method that changes.” –Tony Jones

“We should consider the possibility that many, and perhaps even all of Jesus’ hell-fire or end-of-the-universe statements refer not to postmortem [after death] judgment but to the very historic consequences of rejecting his kingdom message of reconciliation and peacemaking. The destruction of Jerusalem in A.D. 67-70 seems to many people to fulfill much of what we have traditionally understood as hell.” –Brian McLaren

“For Jesus, heaven and hell were present realities. Ways of living we can enter into here and now. He talked very little of the life beyond this one…” –Rob Bell

"Going to heaven is like going to Philadelphia... There are many ways...It doesn't make any difference how we go there. We all end up in the same place." Tony Campolo

"Yes, I find a character named God who sends a flood that destroys all humanity except Noah's family, but that's almost trivial compared to a deity who tortures the greater part of humanity forever in infinite eternal conscious torment, three words that need to be read slowly and thoughtfully to feel their full import." Brian McLaren

"Some people today may find it compelling that some Great Cosmic Transaction took place on that day 1,980 years ago, that God's wrath burned against his son instead of me. I find that version of atonement theory neither intellectually compelling, spiritually compelling, nor in keeping with the biblical narrative." Tony Jones

Guest shiloh357
1 hour ago, Out of the Shadows said:

My Mother-In-Law has been going to a Vineyard for 15 year or so, they do amazing work in the city they are in.  Say what you want about them, but they walk the walk and dont just talk about it

The Mormons hide their false teachings behind humanitarianism and charity and such things, all of the time, as well.