markdohle

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  77
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  641
  • Content Per Day:  0.22
  • Days Won:  0

Jesus was in the stern, sleeping on a cushion.
The disciples woke him and said to him,
"Teacher, don't you care if we drown?" Mark 4:38

All I want is to figure things out, give me the bottom line!

Dealing with self-talk

A small group here in the Monastery is meeting and talking about “Non-Violent-Communication”.   It is a book of 14 chapters and I have enjoyed it very much.  Br. Cassian, who was a teacher before he came to the Monastery, leads our study group and because of his talent as a teacher, it is turning out to be very worthwhile. 

This morning we talked about how we can through the cycle of ‘self talk’ trip ourselves up in our walk with the Lord.  Negative thinking, especially if it is not fully conscious can cause serious problems for the one who is caught up in its web. 

There are times when we can’t always figure out why our inner lives are the way they are, or why we can have strong emotional reactions.  Fear, anger and anxiety can drive the one experiencing them to seek distraction, which can lead to addictions in some cases.  Not just the major addiction, like drugs or alcohol, but with food, work etc. 

I have found that I will not be able to figure myself out; that there are times when all that can be done is to stay with the emotional upset and sit with it before God in prayer and mediation. Which allows it to live out its short life-time permitting things to settle down once again.  Once this is discovered, that we don’t always have to deal with our inner storms, but we can just sit it out in a conscious prayerful manner, the feeling of being driven lessens over time   I believe it is called “waiting on the Lore”.

Sometimes the bottom-line will not be found but we can discover that we will get through it and next time not to be afraid of the inner pain.  That it will end on its own.  To set with ourselves and not to seek to escape it is form of fasting.  From destructive thought patterns as well as seeking relief in ways that will only delay having to eventually face ones inner chaos and allow grace to do its work. 

When we allow ourselves to sit in the craft, with Jesus often sleeping in the stern of the boat, we will find that we make it to the further shore.  We are never alone, once that is embraced and experienced; our emotions and feelings no longer have the power to drive us.  We find the freedom that Christ Jesus wishes to impart to us.  Not to fear life, but to embrace all it entails. The joyful and the painful, the successes and the failures, all are brought out for the best for those who love and trust Jesus Christ. 

Edited by markdohle

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.36
  • Days Won:  20

38 minutes ago, markdohle said:

Fear, anger and anxiety can drive the one experiencing them to seek distraction, which can lead to addictions in some cases. 

Negative and destructive emotions and thoughts (as above) must not be tolerated by Christians, neither should they seek relief through drugs, alcohol, or entertainment.

The one thing which God has given to us is absolute control over our emotions and thoughts. Therefore it is a matter of changing our focus deliberately and consciously (Philippians 4:8).

Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if  there be any praise, think on these things.

We would not be given this exhortation if we were incapable of following it.

Guest bonnieschamberger

This is exactly what I was feeling and thinking today but I couldnt put it into words ...I knew there was a reason for me to read this.I was moved to start fasting this past week but I felt it entailed much more than food or drink and I couldnt put my finger  on it and then I was lead to read this..wow...I work retail and I work late night retail and usually Im so exhausted I cant make it to church every sunday but I felt God talking to me this weekend while I was at work about this He said he would help me and I dont feel nearly as exhausted tonight as I usually do after work.

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,990
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,688
  • Content Per Day:  11.83
  • Days Won:  226

It is all about the lack of faith.

On 8/27/2016 at 8:05 PM, Ezra said:

Negative and destructive emotions and thoughts (as above) must not be tolerated by Christians, neither should they seek relief through drugs, alcohol, or entertainment.

The one thing which God has given to us is absolute control over our emotions and thoughts. Therefore it is a matter of changing our focus deliberately and consciously (Philippians 4:8).

Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if  there be any praise, think on these things.

We would not be given this exhortation if we were incapable of following it.

I believe that many of our 'thought patterns' are picked up from our past.  They are like a movie being replayed in our minds with just different characters.  Not sure they are real personal thoughts, but yes, they have power if not surrendered to Christ.  

On 8/28/2016 at 0:27 AM, missmuffet said:

It is all about the lack of faith.

I disagree but only a little ;-).  I think it is a lack in 'trust'.  Also these kinds of 'thoughts' when powerful are talking to us, we need to talk back and not fight them.  You can push them under but they are still there.  They manifest I believe through our emotions and moods.  To not fear them, or fight them is what weakens them.  Our faith and trust in Christ's love for us allows us to not fear them or hate them.  To know that we are seen and loved to our very depths.  Nothing is hidden.....praise God for that.

On 8/27/2016 at 11:38 PM, bonnieschamberger said:

This is exactly what I was feeling and thinking today but I couldnt put it into words ...I knew there was a reason for me to read this.I was moved to start fasting this past week but I felt it entailed much more than food or drink and I couldnt put my finger  on it and then I was lead to read this..wow...I work retail and I work late night retail and usually Im so exhausted I cant make it to church every sunday but I felt God talking to me this weekend while I was at work about this He said he would help me and I dont feel nearly as exhausted tonight as I usually do after work.

What a powerful witness my friend.  We are never alone, even when Jesus seems to be sleeping ;-).

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,990
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,688
  • Content Per Day:  11.83
  • Days Won:  226

5 hours ago, markdohle said:

I disagree but only a little ;-).  I think it is a lack in 'trust'.  Also these kinds of 'thoughts' when powerful are talking to us, we need to talk back and not fight them.  You can push them under but they are still there.  They manifest I believe through our emotions and moods.  To not fear them, or fight them is what weakens them.  Our faith and trust in Christ's love for us allows us to not fear them or hate them.  To know that we are seen and loved to our very depths.  Nothing is hidden.....praise God for that.

I think trust and faith go hand and hand.

1 hour ago, missmuffet said:

I think trust and faith go hand and hand.

Yes, I understood, just teasing you ;-)

49 minutes ago, Davida said:

What an instruction manual and therapist the Bible & GOD is if we seek after Him and His Truth, Grace, Wisdom, Mercy & Love. The Bible essentially it tells us it is possible and desirable to Renew our Minds and to Change our minds whereas it is the opposite of what the world/ Psychologists/Counsellors tell clients to do as mostly they explore negative emotions and sit with them and notice if when they change. 

I think faith, to be rooted in Christ Jesus is the important thing.  I do think growth in humility, which is really about not being afraid of the truth about ourselves can be deepened by the study of psychology, which is the study of the soul.  When that was lost and psychologist become atheistic, then problems start to happen.  Thank you.