• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

1 minute ago, Out of the Shadows said:

Perhaps instead of assuming (we all know what that does) you should point it out when it is taking place.  To be silent about it, or to start a thread like this, does not allow the other person to know that you feel they are purposely trying to push your buttons or what have you.  I have found the direct approach to be the best, beating around the bush assuming the other person will take the hint does not work as well.

Who is beating around the bush? What is your point?

• Group:  Royal Member *
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  91
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  10,596
  • Content Per Day:  3.73
  • Days Won:  25

1 minute ago, missmuffet said:

Who is beating around the bush? What is your point?

This whole thread seems to be some "around the bush" way of letting someone know they were pushing your buttons.  The point is, that this is not a good way to do such a thing.  

2 minutes ago, Out of the Shadows said:

This whole thread seems to be some "around the bush" way of letting someone know they were pushing your buttons.  The point is, that this is not a good way to do such a thing.  

No, this thread is how to deal with toxic people on a Christian message board. I disagree. I think this is a good way to ask other members how to deal with this kind of person.

Just now, missmuffet said:

No, this thread is how to deal with toxic people on a Christian message board. I disagree. I think this is a good way to ask other members how to deal with this kind of person.

Why not deal directly with the person?  Is that not what the Bible calls us to do?

Guest shiloh357
6 hours ago, Out of the Shadows said:

What if we move away from football and say there is a Christian Marine fighting in a war.  Are they sinning if they do not show meekness in the middle of a fire fight?  

I say kindness is a great attribute and should be our general nature.  But sometimes kindness is just not called for.   Calling a group of people a brood of vipers is not kind

Kindness being a sin or not, depends on the motives.  Parents have to be unpleasant and in a sense, "unkind" when they discipline children, but that is to make them better.

Jesus was unkind, but He was not trying to be a jerk, but it was from a motive of wanting to make people better and to bring them to repentance.,

Being unkind just because you take pleasure in being a jerk makes that unkindness a sin due to impure motive.

And as far as meekness goes,  meekness isn't weakness.   Meekness, biblically speaking is living in fully submitting and trusting God.  

Back in the day, when men rode horses into battle, a "meek" horse would run through fire and not buck its rider because the horse was trained to trust the rider.

9 minutes ago, Out of the Shadows said:

Why not deal directly with the person?  Is that not what the Bible calls us to do?

Give me an example of how you would do this.

Just now, missmuffet said:

Give me an example of how you would do this.

Ok, let's pretend I felt you were going out of your way to push my buttons just to annoy me.

I would then wait for you to do it in a thread and then quote that post and ask you why you said what you did. I would tell you that I felt you were purposely trying to annoy me and ask you to please explain your actions.   If you could not give me an adequate explanation I would ask you to stop doing it.  If you did not stop I would then turn to the Mods of the forum and ask them to intervene. 

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  521
  • Content Per Day:  0.17
  • Days Won:  0

On 8/28/2016 at 9:08 PM, missmuffet said:

Do you think members on Worthy try to push other member's buttons? What is the best Christian approach to this?

Not sure if it's intentional or people just have strong opinions at times, and it might come across that way. A Christian approach to this would be to perhaps ask what the person means by what they're stating to you, in a post. If after a reasonable response to the person, if you feel you're not getting anywhere, just taking a break from that topic or thread might help. I accept that everyone has different ways of debating and discussing, and that helps, too.

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.37
  • Days Won:  20

2 hours ago, Out of the Shadows said:

Good point. Always go directly to the source. That is what the Bible teaches.

2 hours ago, Out of the Shadows said:

Ok, let's pretend I felt you were going out of your way to push my buttons just to annoy me.

I would then wait for you to do it in a thread and then quote that post and ask you why you said what you did. I would tell you that I felt you were purposely trying to annoy me and ask you to please explain your actions.   If you could not give me an adequate explanation I would ask you to stop doing it.  If you did not stop I would then turn to the Mods of the forum and ask them to intervene. 

Shadows why are you so confrontational?