• Followers:  208
  • Topic Count:  60
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  8,651
  • Content Per Day:  1.17
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  03/04/1943

On 8/28/2016 at 9:53 PM, Out of the Shadows said:

I think a lot of what is called "pushing buttons" is people actually being called out on what they said and asked to support it....
People are used to making comments and most people are too polite....
to make them explain or defend their positions....

But a few of us are not....

:thumbsup:

Beloved, I Have But One Defense

For I determined not to know any thing among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified. 1 Corinthians 2:2

And It Is He That Holds

He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake. Psalms 23:3

Me Up

Set a watch, O LORD, before my mouth; keep the door of my lips. Psalms 141:3

~

Be Blessed Beloved Of The KING

The LORD bless thee, and keep thee:
The LORD make his face shine upon thee, and be gracious unto thee:
The LORD lift up his countenance upon thee, and give thee peace.

And they shall put my name upon the children of Israel; and I will bless them. Numbers 6:24-27

Love, Your Brother Joe

~

All your words are true; all your righteous laws are eternal. Psalms 119:160 (New International Version)

The Bible contains the mind of God, the state of man, the way of salvation, the doom of sinners, and the happiness of believers. Its doctrines are holy, its precepts are binding, its histories are true, and its decisions are immutable.

Read it to be wise, believe it to be safe, and practice it to be holy. It contains light to direct you, food to support you, and comfort to cheer you.

It is the traveler’s map, the pilgrim’s staff, the pilot’s compass, the soldier’s sword and the Christian’s charter. Here too, Heaven is opened and the gates of Hell disclosed.

Christ is its grand subject, our good its design, and the glory of God its end. It should fill the memory, rule the heart and guide the feet. Read it slowly, frequently and prayerfully.  It is a mine of wealth, a paradise of glory, and a river of pleasure.

It is given you in life, will be opened at the judgment, and be remembered forever. It involves the highest responsibility, rewards the greatest labor, and will condemn all who trifle with its sacred contents.

From The Inside Of My Gideon New Testament

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,696
  • Content Per Day:  2.46
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

24 minutes ago, Out of the Shadows said:

I am being petty?  Please explain what I did that was petty.

I think you both are being confrontational, and bickering, neither of you are completely innocent, nor completely at fault. You are being confrontational here...she's getting personal and border line name calling...

Of course, im not innocent here either, my last post, was a bit sarcastic, which just fuels the fire, and doesn't really help much. But, it is driving home a point, and that is, quite frankly, people do get on each other's nerves a lot, some people do need to put more grace in the way they speak, and some people need to learn to extend some, and in many cases, both.

I can list several examples of people who have said something on here that got me all riled up, where I sent them a pm and said hey what's up with this" and they explained and we worked it out peaceably. Often it was just a combination of a failure to communicate and a failure to take time to fully understand. And being in private, things went smoother because that took away the stress of having to prove ones point.

Of course, that doesn't always work, hasn't always worked for me in the past, but it has proven to have a higher success rate then "why do people do this?" Type posts.

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven

On 8/29/2016 at 7:41 PM, Out of the Shadows said:

This whole thread seems to be some "around the bush" way of letting someone know they were pushing your buttons....
The point is, that this is not a good way to do such a thing.... 

:emot-heartbeat:

Beloved, Nevertheless Looking Under

But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy. James 3:17

And Around The Bush

To speak evil of no man, to be no brawlers, but gentle, shewing all meekness unto all men. Titus 3:2

May Be A Start

And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient, In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth; And that they may recover themselves out of the snare of the devil, who are taken captive by him at his will. 2 Timothy  2:24-26

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven

On 8/29/2016 at 1:48 PM, Out of the Shadows said:

What if we move away from football and say there is a Christian Marine fighting in a war....
Are they sinning if they do not show meekness in the middle of a fire fight.... 

I say kindness is a great attribute and should be our general nature.....
But sometimes kindness is just not called for....

Calling a group of people a brood of vipers is not kind....

:sherlock:

Well Of Course Not

For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places. Ephesians 6:12

Or Is

Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it. John 8:44

It

But whoso shall offend one of these little ones which believe in me, it were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and that he were drowned in the depth of the sea. Matthew 18:6

Hum....

Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord. Romans 12:19

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Content Count:  521
  • Content Per Day:  0.17
  • Days Won:  0

12 hours ago, The_Patriot2016 said:

How to deal with it, is to follow mathew 5:18. And go to the person who is aggrevating you, and discuss it with them in private. That is the scriptural approach. 

That's true. 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.81
  • Days Won:  44

On August 29, 2016 at 7:57 PM, Out of the Shadows said:

Ok, let's pretend I felt you were going out of your way to push my buttons just to annoy me.

I would then wait for you to do it in a thread and then quote that post and ask you why you said what you did. I would tell you that I felt you were purposely trying to annoy me and ask you to please explain your actions.   If you could not give me an adequate explanation I would ask you to stop doing it.  If you did not stop I would then turn to the Mods of the forum and ask them to intervene. 

This is a really good example. Seems to me to be what we should do if others annoy us. Seems that if a person is simply direct then that is the manner in which one posts is the issue. :) 

God bless,
GE

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  114
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,236
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  12/18/1970

I think maybe we should ask ourselves....."Am I pushing buttons?....What is the Christian approach I should have on the forums?"    

Twelve Ways to Humble Yourself- Chismar 2009

Routinely confess your sin to God (Luke 18:9-14).

All of us sin and fall short of the glory of God. However, too few of us have a routine practice of rigorous self-honesty examination. Weekly, even daily, review of our hearts and behaviors, coupled with confession to God, is an essential practice of humility.

Acknowledge your sin to others (James 3:2, James 5:16).

Humility before God is not complete unless there is also humility before man. A true test of our willingness to humble ourselves is willingness to share with others the weaknesses we confess to God. Wisdom, however, dictates that we do so with others that we trust.

Take wrong patiently (1 Peter 3:8-17).

When something is unjust we want to react and rectify it. However, patiently responding to the unjust accusations and actions of others demonstrates our strength of godly character and provides an opportunity to put on humility.

Actively submit to authority…the good and the bad (1 Peter 2:18).

Our culture does not value submission; rather it promotes individualism. How purposely and actively do you work on submission to those whom God has placed as authorities in your life? Doing so is a good way to humble yourself.

Receive correction and feedback from others graciously (Proverbs 10:17, 12:1).

In the Phoenix area, a local East valley pastor was noted for graciously receiving any negative feedback or correction offered. He would simply say “thank you for caring enough to share that with me, I will pray about it and get back to you.” Look for the kernel of truth in what people offer you, even if it comes from a dubious source. Always pray, “Lord, what are you trying to show me through this?”

Accept a lowly place (Proverbs 25:6,7).

If you find yourself wanting to sit at the head table, wanting others to recognize your contribution or become offended when others are honored or chosen, then pride is present. Purpose to support others being recognized, rather than you. Accept and look for the lowly place; it is the place of humility.

Purposely associate with people of lower state than you (Luke 7:36-39).

Jesus was derided by the Pharisees for socializing with the poor and those of lowly state. Our culture is very status conscious and people naturally want to socialize upward. Resist the temptation of being partial to those with status or wealth.

Choose to serve others (Philippians 1:1, 2 Corinthians 4:5, Matthew 23:11).

When we serve others, we are serving God’s purposes in their lives. Doing so reduces our focus on ourselves and builds the Kingdom of God. When serving another costs us nothing, we should question whether it is really servanthood.

Be quick to forgive (Matthew 18: 21-35).

Forgiveness is possibly one of the greatest acts of humility we can do. To forgive is to acknowledge a wrong that has been done us and also to further release our right of repayment for the wrong. Forgiveness is denial of self. Forgiveness is not insisting on our way and our justice.

Cultivate a grateful heart (1 Thessalonians 5:18).

The more we develop an attitude of gratitude for the gift of salvation and life He has given us, the more true our perspective of self. A grateful heart is a humble heart.

Purpose to speak well of others (Ephesians 4:31-32).

Saying negative things about others puts them “one down” and us “one up.” Speaking well of others edifies them and builds them up. Make sure, however, that what you say is not intended as flattery.

Treat pride as a condition that always necessitates embracing the cross (Luke 9:23).

It is our nature to be proud and it is God’s nature in us that brings humility. Committing to a lifestyle of daily dying to ourselves and living through Him is the foundation for true humility.

God Bless..Hip

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,990
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,688
  • Content Per Day:  11.83
  • Days Won:  226

13 minutes ago, Hippie333 said:

I think maybe we should ask ourselves....."Am I pushing buttons?....What is the Christian approach I should have on the forums?"    

Twelve Ways to Humble Yourself- Chismar 2009

Routinely confess your sin to God (Luke 18:9-14).

All of us sin and fall short of the glory of God. However, too few of us have a routine practice of rigorous self-honesty examination. Weekly, even daily, review of our hearts and behaviors, coupled with confession to God, is an essential practice of humility.

Acknowledge your sin to others (James 3:2, James 5:16).

Humility before God is not complete unless there is also humility before man. A true test of our willingness to humble ourselves is willingness to share with others the weaknesses we confess to God. Wisdom, however, dictates that we do so with others that we trust.

Take wrong patiently (1 Peter 3:8-17).

When something is unjust we want to react and rectify it. However, patiently responding to the unjust accusations and actions of others demonstrates our strength of godly character and provides an opportunity to put on humility.

Actively submit to authority…the good and the bad (1 Peter 2:18).

Our culture does not value submission; rather it promotes individualism. How purposely and actively do you work on submission to those whom God has placed as authorities in your life? Doing so is a good way to humble yourself.

Receive correction and feedback from others graciously (Proverbs 10:17, 12:1).

In the Phoenix area, a local East valley pastor was noted for graciously receiving any negative feedback or correction offered. He would simply say “thank you for caring enough to share that with me, I will pray about it and get back to you.” Look for the kernel of truth in what people offer you, even if it comes from a dubious source. Always pray, “Lord, what are you trying to show me through this?”

Accept a lowly place (Proverbs 25:6,7).

If you find yourself wanting to sit at the head table, wanting others to recognize your contribution or become offended when others are honored or chosen, then pride is present. Purpose to support others being recognized, rather than you. Accept and look for the lowly place; it is the place of humility.

Purposely associate with people of lower state than you (Luke 7:36-39).

Jesus was derided by the Pharisees for socializing with the poor and those of lowly state. Our culture is very status conscious and people naturally want to socialize upward. Resist the temptation of being partial to those with status or wealth.

Choose to serve others (Philippians 1:1, 2 Corinthians 4:5, Matthew 23:11).

When we serve others, we are serving God’s purposes in their lives. Doing so reduces our focus on ourselves and builds the Kingdom of God. When serving another costs us nothing, we should question whether it is really servanthood.

Be quick to forgive (Matthew 18: 21-35).

Forgiveness is possibly one of the greatest acts of humility we can do. To forgive is to acknowledge a wrong that has been done us and also to further release our right of repayment for the wrong. Forgiveness is denial of self. Forgiveness is not insisting on our way and our justice.

Cultivate a grateful heart (1 Thessalonians 5:18).

The more we develop an attitude of gratitude for the gift of salvation and life He has given us, the more true our perspective of self. A grateful heart is a humble heart.

Purpose to speak well of others (Ephesians 4:31-32).

Saying negative things about others puts them “one down” and us “one up.” Speaking well of others edifies them and builds them up. Make sure, however, that what you say is not intended as flattery.

Treat pride as a condition that always necessitates embracing the cross (Luke 9:23).

It is our nature to be proud and it is God’s nature in us that brings humility. Committing to a lifestyle of daily dying to ourselves and living through Him is the foundation for true humility.

God Bless..Hip

I think that is a healthy and a Christian way to look at this. A Christian should take an honest look at themselves and ask if they are pushing buttons. They should ask God to search their heart on this issue and to help them take a Christian approach.

• Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.93
  • Days Won:  3

There are somethings that I just won't post about. I mean I have my own believes about something and unless someone else starts a topic about that subject, I think it is best to keep what I believe about a subject to myself. Because I know that it is going to get everyone all worked up!  Like lets just say for example the subject of hair length comes up. Now I have my own believes about rather or not  it is okay for a man should have long hair and women to have short hair. But I am not going to put that topic out there because I just know that it is going to end up like the debate about women and paints. That and I also feel confident in what I believe and see no reason to ask others if my believe is right. But if someone else would post such a topic about hair. I would most likely tell you how I feel about it. But I do think that for me to put that out would be me pushing buttons. So I am not going to start the topic of hair.

• Group:  Royal Member *
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  91
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  10,596
  • Content Per Day:  3.70
  • Days Won:  25

8 hours ago, missmuffet said:

I think that is a healthy and a Christian way to look at this. A Christian should take an honest look at themselves and ask if they are pushing buttons. They should ask God to search their heart on this issue and to help them take a Christian approach.

It seems to me that "button pushing" is more in the eye of the beholder than the one doing the action.  I asked what I felt was a polite request for clarification and I am told I am being confrontational (iow pushing buttons) and petty.   Would it not also be appropriate for a Christian to ask themselves "am I misunderstanding what this person is saying" or "am I being too defensive"?