• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  503
  • Content Per Day:  0.21
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/20/1948

34 minutes ago, shiloh357 said:

The Greek word refers to being conceited, puffed up, filled with pride.

It's not a question of what is capable of doing.   God used something debilitating to keep Paul from being conceited.  Paul called his thorn a messager of Satan.   He may have meant that in a euphemistic way, or Paul may have suffered spiritual attacks.  Either way, that is how God chose to hanldle it.

God uses everything for His purposes.  That's not logic.   That is how He reveals Himself in Scripture.

.So, how does that go with James 1:13-14 (KJV)

13 Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man:

14 But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed.

• Group:  Senior Member

1 hour ago, shiloh357 said:

The Greek word refers to being conceited, puffed up, filled with pride.

It's not a question of what is capable of doing.   God used something debilitating to keep Paul from being conceited.  Paul called his thorn a messager of Satan.   He may have meant that in a euphemistic way, or Paul may have suffered spiritual attacks.  Either way, that is how God chose to hanldle it.

God uses everything for His purposes.  That's not logic.   That is how He reveals Himself in Scripture.

It says conceited hey?  Good  Keep reading.

God used something debilitating to keep Paul from getting conceited....Wonderful   And He broke somebody's leg to teach him something, and He gave someone cancer so they would lean on Him more....That is a doctrine of demons.  God does not inflict bad upon anybody.

You are right about one thing though.....That's not logic, or truth, or sense.  God is a good God.  He does not put sickness, disease, poverty or anything else on His people.  His desire is to bless and what you claim is the opposite of blessing.

What you say God did to Paul would be like me giving you a car for your job, then so you won't mile it out, I put sugar in the tank.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  26
  • Topic Count:  35
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  6,734
  • Content Per Day:  2.78
  • Days Won:  21

On 9/2/2016 at 11:46 PM, WarriorforHim said:

But the Lord was more concerned with building Paul’s character and preventing pride. 

This one little thought is super powerful and gave me a lot to think on personally today. :) 

Thanks for this, WFH.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,224
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

Num 33:55  WEB “But if you do not drive out the inhabitants of the land from before you, then those you let remain of them will be like pricks in your eyes and thorns in your sides. They will harass you in the land in which you dwell.

2Co 12:7  LITV And by the superabundance of the revelations, that I not be made arrogant, a thorn in the flesh was given to me, a messenger of Satan, that he might buffet me, that I not be made haughty. 2Co 12:8  Beyond this I entreated the Lord three times, that it depart from me.   2Co 12:9  And He said to me, My grace is sufficient for you, for My power is perfected in weakness. Therefore, I will rather gladly boast in my weaknesses, that the power of Christ may overshadow me. 2Co 12:10  Because of this, I am pleased in weaknesses, in insults, in dire needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for the sake of Christ. For when I may be weak, then I am powerful.

2Co 11:23  WEB Are they servants of Christ? (I speak as one beside himself) I am more so; in labors more abundantly, in prisons more abundantly, in stripes above measure, in deaths often. 2Co 11:24  Five times from the Jews I received forty stripes minus one. 2Co 11:25  Three times I was beaten with rods. Once I was stoned. Three times I suffered shipwreck. I have been a night and a day in the deep. 2Co 11:26  I have been in travels often, perils of rivers, perils of robbers, perils from my countrymen, perils from the Gentiles, perils in the city, perils in the wilderness, perils in the sea, perils among false brothers; 2Co 11:27  in labor and travail, in watchings often, in hunger and thirst, in fastings often, and in cold and nakedness. 2Co 11:28  Besides those things that are outside, there is that which presses on me daily: anxiety for all the assemblies.

I find it hard to believe that Paul still needed more to keep him humble.  Some assume his "thorn" might have been his poor vision because at the latter part of his life it he signed off one book remarking that the farewell was written with his own hand.  There are references to evil in people being used of satin to accomplish God's purposes, such as when Joseph's brothers sold him into slavery.   "You meant it for evil but God meant it for good."  It might have been a evil guard that he was chained to in prison.  All is speculation.                                                                                                                                                         

We know that it had to have been God's grace and the power of the Holy Spirit that kept him going and motivated him.  In his flesh he would have given up after being left for dead the first time.  

• Brilliant! 1

Guest shiloh357
30 minutes ago, Denadii said:

.So, how does that go with James 1:13-14 (KJV)

13 Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man:

14 But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed.

Paul didn't say he was tempted by the thorn.  So James 1: 13-14 has nothing do with this.

4 minutes ago, Denadii said:

It says conceited hey?  Good  Keep reading.

God used something debilitating to keep Paul from getting conceited....Wonderful   And He broke somebody's leg to teach him something, and He gave someone cancer so they would lean on Him more....That is a doctrine of demons.  God does not inflict bad upon anybody.

God doesn't inflict bad on anybody? 

• God sent a global flood that killed almost every person on earth.
  • God sent 10 plagues on Egypt, including killing all of the first born
  • God sent poisonous asps to kill the children of Israel
  • God caused Herod Agrippa to be eaten alive by worms
  • God killed Annias and Sapphira (Christians) on the spot.

There are more examples if you like.

You are right about one thing though.....That's not logic, or truth, or sense.  God is a good God.  He does not put sickness, disease, poverty or anything else on His people.  His desire is to bless and what you claim is the opposite of blessing.

Sounds like you drink the Kenneth Copeland/Kenneth Hagin/Joyce Meyer kool-aid.    Read Deut. 28:15-68 about what God would do to His covenant people if they failed to obey Him.  God wasn't making idle threats.   Those teachers are the ones with doctrines of demons.

What you say God did to Paul would be like me giving you a car for your job, then so you won't mile it out, I put sugar in the tank.

No, it's not like that at all.   God simply kept Paul from being conceited.

I'm Soooo glad God took my Lady and I out of churches....What a wondrous blessing!!

I took my daughters out of the school system to teach them myself, because I wanted them to have an education. 

Then God took us out of churches because He wanted to teach us Himself so we would know the truth.   God is so loving!!

Guest shiloh357
4 minutes ago, Denadii said:

I'm Soooo glad God took my Lady and I out of churches....What a wondrous blessing!!

Makes it easier to cook up your own theology...

15 minutes ago, shiloh357 said:

Paul didn't say he was tempted by the thorn.  So James 1: 13-14 has nothing do with this.

God doesn't inflict bad on anybody? 

• God sent a global flood that killed almost every person on earth.
  • God sent 10 plagues on Egypt, including killing all of the first born
  • God sent poisonous asps to kill the children of Israel
  • God caused Herod Agrippa to be eaten alive by worms
  • God killed Annias and Sapphira (Christians) on the spot.

There are more examples if you like.

Sounds like you drink the Kenneth Copeland/Kenneth Hagin/Joyce Meyer kool-aid.    Read Deut. 28:15-68 about what God would do to His covenant people if they failed to obey Him.  God wasn't making idle threats.   Those teachers are the ones with doctrines of demons.

No, it's not like that at all.   God simply kept Paul from being conceited.

Sorry.....I shouldn't laugh, but if I don't .......

2 minutes ago, shiloh357 said:

Makes it easier to cook up your own theology...

It makes me much more accountable to Father.   You can go by the party line if you wish.  First amendment and all.

Guest shiloh357
1 minute ago, Denadii said:

Sorry.....I shouldn't laugh, but if I don't .......

Translation:  "I can't refute the biblical evidence that God did some horrible things to people, so I will  mask my inability to handle the truth, by laughing off the evidence."