• Followers:  57
  • Topic Count:  1,546
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  10,320
  • Content Per Day:  1.41
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  11/05/1951

Just now, Sojourner414 said:

And so do I. I think for many of us, the thorns we have end up tripping us up.

Well, perhaps, as with Paul, the Lord can use them to teach us humility!

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  133
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,864
  • Content Per Day:  0.62
  • Days Won:  2

Denadii,

I think you are misunderstanding what we have been saying....the thorn was not given for the purpose of causing a temptation to happen...NOT at all. It was to PREVENT it from ever taking place. Paul never directly said what the thorn was; only its purpose....to prevent him from having pride. The thorn was simply a reminder that he was NOT greater than anyone else; or that he had risen above the need to be totally reliant on Gods grace. NOR is there any mention of God removing the reminder.

We aren't promised a life free of problems. But we are promised that through it all God's love and salvation is guaranteed to us. God's grace is enough to get us through life. We do not have to strive to be something we are not or think greater of ourselves than we are. If we had perfect bodies, perfect jobs, etc. . . we would not rely on God to be there for us. That is what Paul is talking about... What God does for us .

• Thumbs Up 2

• Steward

• Group:  Steward
  • Followers:  110
  • Topic Count:  10,465
  • Topics Per Day:  1.26
  • Content Count:  27,764
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  128
  • Birthday:  09/21/1971

On 10/6/2017 at 8:34 PM, Denadii said:

Here you guys go blaming God for that again.   Where does it say Paul had to keep that thing?  Where does it say God allowed or put that thing on him?   Chuchy doctrine reads that in.   You need to seek Gods wisdom for that. You might learn something new.

You may realize that talking down to people -- is an issue of pride.  :)  Let's remember how the Lord instructs us to teach --

2Ti 2:24  And the Lord's servant must not be quarrelsome but kind to everyone, able to teach, patiently enduring evil, 
2Ti 2:25  correcting his opponents with gentleness. God may perhaps grant them repentance leading to a knowledge of the truth, 
2Ti 2:26  and they may come to their senses and escape from the snare of the devil, after being captured by him to do his will. 

God bless,

George

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  395
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Days Won:  0

In regards to Saul's conversion: (Acts 13:9 Then Saul, who was also called Paul,...) It's funny how the name change simply replaced the first letter S for P.

I just learnt about the Otiot from a referral by our brother in Christ. The Otiot has a reference that shows a pictograph for S is a thorn; and P is a mouth. Paul's thorn is his old nature.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,064
  • Content Per Day:  7.97
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

This has been a wonderful example of disregard for hermeneutics and allowing one's own logic and interpretation govern what the Bible actually says... hope all who read this thread come away with the need of Godly teachers to direct the True Biblical path for our feet! And to do so in Love... Thanks Shiloh, Omega and George for your dedication to The Lord here!  Love, Steven

1 Cor 12:28-13:1
28 And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues.
29 Are all apostles? are all prophets? are all teachers? are all workers of miracles?
30 Have all the gifts of healing? do all speak with tongues? do all interpret?
31 But covet earnestly the best gifts: and yet shew I unto you a more excellent way.
13 Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.
KJV
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 1

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.35
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

3 hours ago, Yowm said:

It may be safer to say ONE meaning, but different applications. If God's Word opens up to many meanings there will be nothing solid to stand on.

Yowm I just wrote this so many could see what you posted again on it.   AMEN .

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  306
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,130
  • Content Per Day:  4.63
  • Days Won:  327

You're welcome Abby, that is the context of what I was referring to about " different meanings at different times" I was hopeful that someone would Receive what was said- Praise Jesus!

There are those that will take one single verse of Scripture, out of context, to support their personal interpretation.... That is in direct opposition of the Word of God... Scripture will ALWAYS confirm Scripture and then there are those that will walk in Spirit & in Truth , communing with God in Christ that do Receive personal Revelation that is " for them" it does not alter the Scriptures so you must Discern by the Power of Holy Spirit ... He Will Help us to try the spirits..... Sometimes the Word is given us " for us" sometimes for edification and at times for others

We may be going into an entirely different Topic now, lol

Anyway, thank you for your reply and hopefully that may help to clarify the 2 sentences I wrote that were taken out of context by others......Pauls " thorn" has been different things for me at different times and in different situations....Ive encounteredcthis many times

Love you, Kwik

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Loved it! 1

• 5 years later...

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  60
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,249
  • Content Per Day:  1.97
  • Days Won:  20

This thread from almost 6 years ago is what I needed to read today as the Holy Spirit was leading me to a study of the "thorns of flesh" we all tend to have in our lives at different times.  Mine today is the death of my husband of 40 years.  It's been almost 9 months and I still have not found the firm footing I was hoping for after nine months.  Last week the Spirit spoke to me about new birth and 9 months.  It was a good reminder that it is a new birth for me as I have not been a single woman in over 50 years. I have always had another human being in the household to assist, nurture and commune with.  Now it is me and my two kitty's.

My thoughts have been that Paul's torment could have been his eyesight as so many have speculated but again that is just speculation. Of course, the road to Damascus, brilliant light, the blindness, the scales could have caused his eyesight to fail him in the days to come but we will not know that while on this earth.  It's surely a possibility but we have no facts. We do know that whatever it was caused him torment for the rest of his life.  It was at the forefront of his life on a daily basis, but he continued on in the spreading of the gospel of Jesus Christ.  It wasn't bad enough to stop him, only bad enough to keep him humble before the Lord and ever on his knees graciouly thanking the Lord for saving him and showing him the truth of salvation through Jesus Christ and the promise of eternal life. 

In this thread from all these years ago there was bickering and torment going on through the thoughts and words of one to another.  It was a good reminder of the thorns we can place in the lives of others by our own words and actions.  When Jesus was silent during confrontation, I believe it was so that he could set an example of how we should react when we are placed in the same kind of setting.  There actually are times when silence is golden.  Then there are other times when others do need to be reminded of the facts, the certainty, the history, the truth.  If someone choses to refute those, you are not going to win them with words.  I'm pretty sure that is a proven fact.  :whistling:

Anyway, thank you to those who are still here now (@Willa @kwikphilly @enoob57 @Marathoner @missmuffet @George @Omegaman 3.0 @appy and whoever I missed) who posted something in this old thread for me to read over today.  I consider all things and sift appropriately.

Edited by debrakay
  • Praise God! 1