• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,990
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,688
  • Content Per Day:  11.83
  • Days Won:  226

1 hour ago, Sister said:

I think that's a really good answer Kwikphilly.  I agree. 

We are not aware of time ticking when we are dead, we know nothing.  When we are awoken, I guess it will just seem as if we took a nap, or blinked an eye.  We will recall our last moments clearly as if it was a second ago, ..maybe we won't even know we've been dead?

What do you think happens to the soul immediately after death Sister?

• Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  50
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,727
  • Content Per Day:  1.04
  • Days Won:  5

58 minutes ago, missmuffet said:

What do you think happens to the soul immediately after death Sister?

This; what Kwikphilly said, I agree with her;

we may have died & knew nothing for hundreds of years.

Our souls contain all our works, the works are the fruits of our spirit, of what type it was...the soul contains all the information of everything we did during our lifetime.  When the body dies, the soul is not dead, but preserved.  When something is preserved, it is not thrown away, but kept for later. The scriptures say that when we are dead, we are dead, we can't do anything in the grave, we can't love or even hate.  This doesn't mean that the soul is dead, but it is unable to operate because the power has been turned off for a while.  When the power comes back on, that soul will live again, and have a share in everything done under the sun.

And if we are dead and don't know it, because nothing is working for a while, then what's to worry about?  Being dead has no record of time, and it knows nothing.  Learning this made it easier for me to accept death when the time comes, as death will only seem like a blink of an eye, so short, nothing to worry about,....and will feel shorter than me writing this post.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  1,261
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Days Won:  0

On 9/8/2016 at 7:39 AM, Ezra said:

Short Answer: Yes for those who are in Christ and saved by God's grace. See Acts 7 and 8 regarding Stephen's martyrdom.

Agreed.

Adding the "Mount of Transfiguration" here. Elias and Moses are certainly not in their grave, soul sleeping awaiting or awaiting for Christ to wake them.

Mark 9:2-4
(2)  And after six days Jesus taketh with him Peter, and James, and John, and leadeth them up into an high mountain apart by themselves: and he was transfigured before them.
(3)  And his raiment became shining, exceeding white as snow; so as no fuller on earth can white them.
(4)  And there appeared unto them Elias with Moses: and they were talking with Jesus.

I'm also of the side that "Lazaraus and the rich man" with the rich man's interaction with Abraham was not a parable, but in fact a "reality." So including them also.
No mention of the word "parable" by our Lord, only the mention of "personal nouns."
The rich man's father's house with his still "living" five brothers were "real men" too.
The word "parable" is not brought up here at all as it was when our Lord spoke on parables in many other places in Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John.

Luke 16:19-31
(19)  There was a certain rich man, which was clothed in purple and fine linen, and fared sumptuously every day:
(20)  And there was a certain beggar named Lazarus, which was laid at his gate, full of sores,
(21)  And desiring to be fed with the crumbs which fell from the rich man's table: moreover the dogs came and licked his sores.
(22)  And it came to pass, that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels into Abraham's bosom: the rich man also died, and was buried;
(23)  And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.
(24)  And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.
(25)  But Abraham said, Son, remember that thou in thy lifetime receivedst thy good things, and likewise Lazarus evil things: but now he is comforted, and thou art tormented.
(26)  And beside all this, between us and you there is a great gulf fixed: so that they which would pass from hence to you cannot; neither can they pass to us, that would come from thence.
(27)  Then he said, I pray thee therefore, father, that thou wouldest send him to my father's house:
(28)  For I have five brethren; that he may testify unto them, lest they also come into this place of torment.
(29)  Abraham saith unto him, They have Moses and the prophets; let them hear them.
(30)  And he said, Nay, father Abraham: but if one went unto them from the dead, they will repent.
(31)  And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead.

On a quick side note, amazing that even if Lazaraus came back from the dead, some, because of the hardness of their hearts. would still refuse to believe...

Edited by B3L13v3R
spelling typo

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.36
  • Days Won:  20

10 hours ago, Sister said:

The scriptures say that when we are dead, we are dead, we can't do anything in the grave, we can't love or even hate. 

This is what happens when we fail to take all the Scriptures into account, particularly after the resurrection of Christ. "When we are dead we are dead" is an Old Testament concept which related to the souls ans spirits of the righteous going to Abraham's Bosom in Hades.

Until the resurrection of Christ this was a virtual prison. But at the resurrection, Christ took "captivity captive" and all the OT saints were taken to the New Jerusalem and are now in Heaven (Heb 12:22-24).

Since the resurrection of Christ, Christians are very much alive in the presence of Christ.  Stephen was very much alive when his soul and spirit were received by Christ that very instant, even though his body was "asleep".

So "when we are dead we are dead" in no longer applicable, neither is soul sleep (both false doctrines). The body "sleeps" in the grave while the souls and spirits are rejoicing in Heaven. At the Resurrection/Rapture, bodies, souls, and spirits will be reunited within glorious, immortal bodies.

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,990
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,688
  • Content Per Day:  11.83
  • Days Won:  226

12 hours ago, Sister said:

This; what Kwikphilly said, I agree with her;

Our souls contain all our works, the works are the fruits of our spirit, of what type it was...the soul contains all the information of everything we did during our lifetime.  When the body dies, the soul is not dead, but preserved.  When something is preserved, it is not thrown away, but kept for later. The scriptures say that when we are dead, we are dead, we can't do anything in the grave, we can't love or even hate.  This doesn't mean that the soul is dead, but it is unable to operate because the power has been turned off for a while.  When the power comes back on, that soul will live again, and have a share in everything done under the sun.

And if we are dead and don't know it, because nothing is working for a while, then what's to worry about?  Being dead has no record of time, and it knows nothing.  Learning this made it easier for me to accept death when the time comes, as death will only seem like a blink of an eye, so short, nothing to worry about,....and will feel shorter than me writing this post.

That absolutely makes no sense to me according to what scripture says. It sounds like you are another "soul sleeper" believer.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  306
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,130
  • Content Per Day:  4.63
  • Days Won:  327

So glad y'all know exactly what I am saying......it is refreshing!I was really hoping no one would get too nit picky & make much ado aboout nothing when ya simply share some thoughts.....lovely thread,praise Jesus.    Love,Kwik

7 hours ago, missmuffet said:

That absolutely makes no sense to me according to what scripture says. It sounds like you are another "soul sleeper" believer.

missmuffet,

If you can show me something that says we go straight to heaven when we die, and that there is life beyond the grave before the resurrection, I'd be interested in looking at it.

Ezra

This is what happens when we fail to take all the Scriptures into account, particularly after the resurrection of Christ. "When we are dead we are dead" is an Old Testament concept which related to the souls ans spirits of the righteous going to Abraham's Bosom in Hades.

You lost me here?

Until the resurrection of Christ this was a virtual prison. But at the resurrection, Christ took "captivity captive" and all the OT saints were taken to the New Jerusalem and are now in Heaven (Heb 12:22-24).

Yes death is not forever for those who believe.  It's a promise we will live again beyond the grave, but it doesn't say straight away....for the resurrection has not happened yet?  Your reasoning says that we live again before Christ comes with his reward?  How does that work out?  Death is conquered at the resurrection, when Christ returns and we live again, on this day.

Since the resurrection of Christ, Christians are very much alive in the presence of Christ.  Stephen was very much alive when his soul and spirit were received by Christ that very instant, even though his body was "asleep".

That's called being alive in the "spirit",...being awake to Christ, hearing him, doing all he commanded, whilst we live. 

Can you give me that scripture about Stephen please.

So "when we are dead we are dead" in no longer applicable, neither is soul sleep (both false doctrines). The body "sleeps" in the grave while the souls and spirits are rejoicing in Heaven. At the Resurrection/Rapture, bodies, souls, and spirits will be reunited within glorious, immortal bodies.

Matthew 16:27   For the Son of man shall come in the glory of his Father with his angels; and then he shall reward every man according to his works.

Revelation 11:18   And the nations were angry, and thy wrath is come, and the time of the dead, that they should be judged, and that thou shouldest give reward unto thy servants the prophets, and to the saints, and them that fear thy name, small and great; and shouldest destroy them which destroy the earth.

Everything is done in order.  Be patient, it will come when we are woken out of our sleep.  If we don't know we are dead, we are not missing out on anything.  Everything has to take it's course.  We will be woken up at the resurrection, and this is when we will be conscious again of our surroundings.

8 hours ago, missmuffet said:

missmuffet

I found it strange in the first place that you would even care what my thoughts were on this subject, seeing as you said we have nothing in common.  And yes, I guess you could say I am just another soul sleeper, because the soul is just preserved for later, not killed.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  336
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  11/12/1953

On 9/6/2016 at 7:17 PM, JulieTX said:

Does a person go straight to Heaven as soon as they die, or is it like they are asleep until the time that God comes back and reawakens them and remakes the world?  I have always wondered that.  I tend to think when you die that it is like you are in a deep sleep.  I know we talk about people in Heaven looking down on us.  However, how can they be happy in Heaven if they can see us suffering down here?  Also, wouldn't they miss us?  Makes no sense.  My opinion is that the dead know nothing.  It is just like it was before you were born.  You knew nothing before you were born.  I think death is the same way.

John 1:18 (NET)

No one has ever seen God. The only one, himself God, who is in closest fellowship with the Father, has made God known.

Jesus himself tells us that there is no one who has ever seen God. This means no one is in heaven except God. He also Joseph in Luke 16:22 that the beggar Lazarus died and went to be with Abraham in Paradise, not God in Heaven. When Jesus was crucified he said to the thief that believed in him in Luke 23:43; “I tell you the truth, today you will be with me in paradise.”

If we are believers when we die, we go to paradise and we wait for Jesus to return. Once he returns and we are resurrected we reign with him on Earth for a thousand years and after that there is a new Heaven and a new Earth and we will live with Jesus and God on the new earth, in the New Jerusalem, for eternity. :)