• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  75
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  10/06/1990

Is there anyone out there who has struggled with gluttony and weight loss but eventually overcame it?  I could really use some one on one encouragement/advice.  Years of failure is taking its toll on my faith on this issue and its starting to show in my life.  Thanks in advance.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  593
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  55,868
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

4 years ago I weighed 330 pounds.   One morning (Saturday) I got up and decided I'd had enough.....   i prayed for a week about it and then one Sunday morning I fasted for two days....   By fasting for two days, it let my stomach shrink and I could eat much less and still be full.  You must cut your calories down to lower that what you  burn.   I personally set my goal at 1000 calories a day.....  that is very low and vitimans are important to take to make sure you stay healthy.    I personally didn't eat enough protein and lost some of my hair (which came back when I got off my diet).

I lost about 75 pounds in 9 months and was doing well for I was swimming a mile 4 or 5 days a week and walking a mile in waist deep water in a lazy river at the YMCA.

Much of my eating was healthy frozen dinners for they have a wide selection of food types and no preservatives......   and you can count calories easily.   I could eat three of them a day and not get hungry and stay at about 1000 calories a day.

I fell and did some damage to my arm and had a couple of surgeries on it and the doctor asked me to get off my diet so I could be sure and have enough good stuff to heal properly.   After two surgeries three months apart and the healing it pretty much messed up my swimming.  couldn't get in the water.....   then three years of heavy travel has made it hard to get back into the swing of things, but maybe next summer.   I'm down to about 260 and stable now between 260 and 270.

Funny part of it was that I was almost never really hungry....     I did eat those frozen dinners very very slowly and with my stomach shrunk up, it really wasn't a problem......    Good exercise seemed to make the day go well also.     

Note this was after I retired.

As I remember the only time I was really hungry was the first two days when I was fasting on just water and coffee.

When we are on a travel we usually only eat two meals a day and that helps maintain....    walk as much as you can.  It is crucial to never overeat and stretch your stomach back out.....   when you get full feeling and eating slowly so your body can keep up with your blood sugar levels, it' will level things out so you feel good.   If you are married  good active sex is also helpful for it does things with your bodies hormones that help burn calories.

Praying to get really involved is important...

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

19 minutes ago, Tyler47 said:

Is there anyone out there who has struggled with gluttony and weight loss but eventually overcame it?  I could really use some one on one encouragement/advice.  Years of failure is taking its toll on my faith on this issue and its starting to show in my life.  Thanks in advance.

I did not have an issue with gluttony. You say gluttony and weight loss? You do not mean weight gain? Would you please explain that to me? I gained quite a few pounds due to a couple of medical complications. Those medical complications have stabilized and I have lost a bunch of weight. I don't want to lose very much more. We have to go to God for all of the storms that enter our lives. He is there for us. That is where the faith comes in.

36 minutes ago, other one said:

4 years ago I weighed 330 pounds.   One morning (Saturday) I got up and decided I'd had enough.....   i prayed for a week about it and then one Sunday morning I fasted for two days....   By fasting for two days, it let my stomach shrink and I could eat much less and still be full.  You must cut your calories down to lower that what you  burn.   I personally set my goal at 1000 calories a day.....  that is very low and vitimans are important to take to make sure you stay healthy.    I personally didn't eat enough protein and lost some of my hair (which came back when I got off my diet).

I lost about 75 pounds in 9 months and was doing well for I was swimming a mile 4 or 5 days a week and walking a mile in waist deep water in a lazy river at the YMCA.

Much of my eating was healthy frozen dinners for they have a wide selection of food types and no preservatives......   and you can count calories easily.   I could eat three of them a day and not get hungry and stay at about 1000 calories a day.

I fell and did some damage to my arm and had a couple of surgeries on it and the doctor asked me to get off my diet so I could be sure and have enough good stuff to heal properly.   After two surgeries three months apart and the healing it pretty much messed up my swimming.  couldn't get in the water.....   then three years of heavy travel has made it hard to get back into the swing of things, but maybe next summer.   I'm down to about 260 and stable now between 260 and 270.

Funny part of it was that I was almost never really hungry....     I did eat those frozen dinners very very slowly and with my stomach shrunk up, it really wasn't a problem......    Good exercise seemed to make the day go well also.     

Note this was after I retired.

As I remember the only time I was really hungry was the first two days when I was fasting on just water and coffee.

When we are on a travel we usually only eat two meals a day and that helps maintain....    walk as much as you can.  It is crucial to never overeat and stretch your stomach back out.....   when you get full feeling and eating slowly so your body can keep up with your blood sugar levels, it' will level things out so you feel good.   If you are married  good active sex is also helpful for it does things with your bodies hormones that help burn calories.

Praying to get really involved is important...

Sounds like you have some good suggestions oo. I shrunk my stomach as well. It was not intentional. I just went through a really rough time. A major storm. When I am stressed out I can't eat. Now I am a grazer. I do not eat big meals. I just eat 5 small meals a day. If I get too full my stomach feels horrible. Getting over 300 lbs. is dangerous. It can complicate diabetes,acid reflux, it can run havoc on your knees and back and hips plus other health complications.

Like you said exercise is essential. So a healthy low cal or carb diet plus exercise. I know a doc who went on a low carb diet and he lost a bunch of weight. He had to because of health complications. But he said that once a week he would allow himself to have whatever he wanted or he could not stay on that diet.

But you are a tall guy. You are 6ft.4in.You can take on more weight. I am only 5ft 1in. so in order to stay healthy I can not weigh that much. You have to be careful to not take off too much weight too fast. It can complicate things. Such as gallbladder problems....etc. Like you said it is essential that you take a good multi-vitamin everyday and get in your protein. The body does not heal without protein.

Active sex??? :24: You crack me up. A male can lose 100 calories per the sex act. Women 69 calories.So if you want to lose 500 calories :huh:

9 minutes ago, missmuffet said:

You say gluttony and weight loss? You do not mean weight gain? 

If I struggle in the effort of weight loss, you could say I struggle with weight gain in the literal since.  I am not always politically correct.  My apologies.

Just now, Tyler47 said:

If I struggle in the effort of weight loss, you could say I struggle with weight gain in the literal since.  I am not always politically correct.  My apologies.

Hey that is ok. I just wanted to make sure I was answering you correctly. :) Obesity is definitely a health problem in our world today.

32 minutes ago, other one said:

4 years ago I weighed 330 pounds.   One morning (Saturday) I got up and decided I'd had enough.....   .

I am at that point.  I am so angry with myself for my struggles.  I have lost up to 50 pounds multiple times over the past few years.  I have had success and I know exactly what to do and how to do it.  I almost feel like Peter walking on water when I lose that much weight, but then I take my eyes off of Jesus.  And I do it EVERY time.  Its not the physical part of the challenge that I fail at..  Its the mental/spiritual part, and that is why I beat myself up so bad about it.

27 minutes ago, Tyler47 said:

I am at that point.  I am so angry with myself for my struggles.  I have lost up to 50 pounds multiple times over the past few years.  I have had success and I know exactly what to do and how to do it.  I almost feel like Peter walking on water when I lose that much weight, but then I take my eyes off of Jesus.  And I do it EVERY time.  Its not the physical part of the challenge that I fail at..  Its the mental/spiritual part, and that is why I beat myself up so bad about it.

Don't be so angry with yourself it is counter productive. You need to give this whole thing to Jesus. Do you think their is a reason for your over indulgence? A psychological reason?If so have you ever been in therapy? God is in control. Stop trying to take on this struggle and give it to God and trust Him.

• Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  50
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,727
  • Content Per Day:  1.05
  • Days Won:  5

9 hours ago, Tyler47 said:

Hi Tyler.  I know what you are going through.  I love eating, and used eat all the wrong things.  You don't have to be hungry to eat, but we do it out of habit, boredom,...when sitting on the computer etc.  Sometimes it's hard to stop, but it tastes so good.

I lost 5 kilos in in 3 months with no exercise.  I found out about the ketosis diet from Dr Eric Berg's video's.  His method is to have 70% fat in your diet, with 20% protein and 10% carbs.  The fats are animal fats.  Choose the fattiest piece of steak, eat the skin on chicken, do everything they told you not to do, but cook with butter, coconut oil, olive oil, lard, and ghee.   Use cream instead of pastuerised milk, have cheese and nuts.  There are tons of keto recipes on the internet, even for sweets where you can use good sugar substitutes.  Look him up, he will explain better.

The typical breakfast I eat is bacon with all the fat, cooked in coconut oil, with eggs, and fried mushrooms, , with fried tomatoes and capsicum....oh and with half an avocado.  with a coffee no sugar with cream.  but skip the bread.

You will find this will keep you full for hours, and the fats will stop the sugar cravings.  I would eat macadamia's and almonds for snacks, or a piece of cheese with cold meat and olives etc.

If you do have a sugar craving, you can buy chocolate with sugar substitute, I got used to the taste real fast.

I didn't believe this would work, but tried this diet, and the fat melted off so fast.  All my complaints went away, ie. numb hands, heartburn, indigestion, bloating.   My skin has a better texture and I have more energy.  Wrinkles fading.  Feel wonderful fitting into old clothes.

In other words eliminate the starchy carbs like bread, rice, and potatoes.  I know it's hard, but you get used to it.  Every now and then have a "cheat" day if you must, then get back on to it.  Get sugar out of your diet and you will feel the difference.  Limit fruit as contains sugar just whilst your trying to lose weight, you can have again later.  Trust me this works, and when you start seeing the weight drop off, and feel good about yourself, food will not take over.

Edited by Sister
Dr Eric Berg. Corrected spelling.