IGNORED

Why is the Psalm 83 War considered a future event?

nebula

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.96
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Someone brought this up at a gathering I attended last night. 

For those that do not know, the Psalm 83 is about Israel being attacked by an alliance of the nations around it with the intent of destroying Israel completely. This has been interpreted to be a prophecy of an upcoming event.

The man at the meeting mentioned how he had recently watched a documentary on the 6-Day War in 1967, and from that believes that THIS event was the fulfillment of the Psalm 83 prophecy.

One point he noted is that Jerusalem, the City of God, is not mentioned in the prophecy - which makes sense for then because Jerusalem was not in the hands of the Jews when they were attacked then, but Jerusalem would be an issue now.

Evaluation?

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,990
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,688
  • Content Per Day:  11.83
  • Days Won:  226

According to the Psalm a coalition of nations and people that hate God have made a covenant against God and are conspiring against Israel to destroy her. This is prior to the rapture of the Church and the start of the tribulation.

1 minute ago, missmuffet said:

According to the Psalm a coalition of nations and people that hate God have made a covenant against God and are conspiring against Israel to destroy her. This is prior to the rapture of the Church and the start of the tribulation.

Where does this claim/interpretation come from?

I see nothing in Psalm 83 that even looks like a claim that this preceding the rapture nor anything that looks like if refers to preceding the Great Tribulation.

5 minutes ago, nebula said:

Where does this claim/interpretation come from?

I see nothing in Psalm 83 that even looks like a claim that this preceding the rapture nor anything that looks like if refers to preceding the Great Tribulation.

My brain :)

Enoob or George or Shiloh or Rick or anyone else who are Bible scholars. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Asaph’s prayer was that Israel’s current enemies will be just as soundly defeated as were the Midianites and the Canaanites, their armies scattered and their leaders executed. Should this be the case, Israel will become larger, not smaller, with the contention over the ownership of Gaza, the West bank and the Golan put to an end. Israel will become stronger, not weaker, its military reputation vastly enhanced. The divided land would be divided no more, and Jerusalem would remain a unified city. The controversial security fence could even come down, since the land borders on all three sides would be considered safe and the threat of terrorist attacks diminished. In most people’s minds 60 years of war will have finally ended. This has definitely not happened yet.

2 minutes ago, Rick_Parker said:

Asaph’s prayer was that Israel’s current enemies will be just as soundly defeated as were the Midianites and the Canaanites, their armies scattered and their leaders executed. Should this be the case, Israel will become larger, not smaller, with the contention over the ownership of Gaza, the West bank and the Golan put to an end. Israel will become stronger, not weaker, its military reputation vastly enhanced. The divided land would be divided no more, and Jerusalem would remain a unified city. The controversial security fence could even come down, since the land borders on all three sides would be considered safe and the threat of terrorist attacks diminished. In most people’s minds 60 years of war will have finally ended. This has definitely not happened yet.

How do you get this out of Psalm 83? 

And does being defeated mean that Israel conquers their lands?

The OT has many stories where those who attacked Israel were defeated and the armies scattered, but Israel never took over their land.

7 minutes ago, Rick_Parker said:

I remember a pastor discussing this a long time ago. Then I did some studying. That sounds right Rick :)About when would the 60 years be up according to your estimation?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  56
  • Topic Count:  1,664
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  19,763
  • Content Per Day:  2.39
  • Days Won:  28

http://www.lamblion.us/2013/06/war-of-psalm-83-dispelling-criticisms.html

Please read this Nebula and let me know what you think?

20 minutes ago, nebula said:

How do you get this out of Psalm 83? 

And does being defeated mean that Israel conquers their lands?

The OT has many stories where those who attacked Israel were defeated and the armies scattered, but Israel never took over their land.

No one that I know of sees any possible historical fulfillment even in Israel’s modern age. Some people or group of people have always been missing, the most obvious ones being the Palestinians who didn’t become an issue for Israel until after the major wars of 48, 67, and 73 had been fought. But they certainly are an issue today, as is Lebanon with its Hezbollah connection.

But everyone agrees that something has to happen to bring Israel into a perception of peace and safety before Ezekiel 38 can take place. Current realities make that hard to imagine until Syria, Hezbollah, Hamas, and the PLO are neutralized. And when Israel buries the dead from Ezekiel’s battle it will be in a place that belongs to the Palestinians today, although Ezekiel calls it Israel. (Ezek. 39:11)

I suppose the Palestinians could just go away or voluntarily re-unite with Israel, and Hamas and Hezbollah could decide to sit out the Battle of Ezekiel 38 along with Israel’s other next door neighbors who are all listed in Psalm 83 but missing from Ezekiel 38. But absent those possibilities some, myself included, see Psalm 83 as the missing link in Israel’s End Times Scenario.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  907
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  07/07/1866

So the rapture isn't as imminent as the pre-trib doctrine teaches