IGNORED

Tent Cities Full Of Homeless People Are Booming In Cities All Over America As Poverty Spikes

nebula

• Group:  Royal Member *
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  91
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  10,596
  • Content Per Day:  3.70
  • Days Won:  25

13 hours ago, SavedByGrace1981 said:

That's part of it, but when it comes to what we see on a daily basis there is also advancing an agenda at play.

This is a website that promotes a Christian worldview - therefore I assume most of us here (myself included) have compassion for the poor and homeless.  Personally, we do what we can - through our church and privately - to help.  My criticisms, such as they are, are not directed to those here.

Many advocates for the poor and homeless however have ulterior motives - creating bigger government being one of them.

Back in the 80s when issues of the poor and homeless were gracing our TV screens daily, the purpose was at least in part to make Reagan and his calls for cutting government spending seem cruel and heartless.  Why do I say this?

Look at what happened.  Did the problems of poverty and the poor and homeless suddenly disappear with the election of Clinton and the democrats in the 90s?  Were the issues miraculously solved?  No - of course not.  But the media "moved on" to cover other things.  Since the establishment media generally favors Ds (because Ds generally favor bigger more centralized government) - when a D is in power the media will not cover anything that makes them look bad.

That's why you're not hearing as much about the homeless problem now.

Human misery - whether it takes the form of poverty, homelessness, addictions, whatever - is something we as Christians should care about and we should do what we can to alleviate suffering.  Christ did say "the poor, you will always have with you"; but at the same time He commands us to be compassionate.

My point isn't not to be caring or concerned about these issues.  My point is to be suspicious of groups or individuals who "use" people to advance an agenda.

Blessings,

-Ed

The problem as I see it is that the church in America has failed miserably to take care of the needy.   There is a book called "The hole in our gospel" that I would recommend everyone read. 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,990
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,688
  • Content Per Day:  11.83
  • Days Won:  226

1 minute ago, Out of the Shadows said:

The problem as I see it is that the church in America has failed miserably to take care of the needy.   There is a book called "The hole in our gospel" that I would recommend everyone read. 

I think you are right. I sure do not think God would support the Church ignoring the homeless and needy. Some people have no empathy what so ever and are very merciless regarding them.

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,923
  • Content Per Day:  0.61
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  03/22/1953

57 minutes ago, Out of the Shadows said:

I'm sure that in some cases that is true.  I just hesitate to paint with such a broad brush.

As I've mentioned before, I am a member of church of an evangelical Protestant denomination.  Our church is small - averaging between 40 to 45 attendees on any given Sunday.  I also happen to be the treasurer of our church, so I have knowledge of the church's finances and its giving.

Even though we are small, we are blessed to be able to give to our denomination's world mission funds, and to support three children overseas.  We have given to help local needs at times; and we give to a local teen crisis pregnancy center.

I don't mean to "toot our own horn" - indeed, I suspect if one were to examine the finances of many small churches like ours one would find similar examples of giving.

We can all cite examples of extravagance that seems to be all too common in some ministries.  That is what makes news.

Helping the poor and needy; following Jesus' commands - not so "newsworthy".

Blessings,

-Ed 

Edited by SavedByGrace1981

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  596
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,043
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

On 9/13/2016 at 1:30 PM, ayin jade said:

This is one glaring error right here. This tent city is a prison. Not a place where homeless reside. 

Well, they are kind of homeless    LoL.

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  596
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,043
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

16 hours ago, SavedByGrace1981 said:

The plight of the poor and the homeless was a  fixture on the nightly news back in the 80s when Reagan was POTUS, but not so much now.

Anyone care to speculate as to why?

Blessings,

-Ed

In central Oklahoma I would think it is because we take care of the homeless more than others seem to.   I live in Shawnee and Oklahoma City is the other large homeless population.   Her in Shawnee we only have a population of about 30 thousand people, but we have more than one feeding site for the homeless and places for them to go when it's really cold or hot.

When the state turns someone out of mental health care onto the streets they give them a one way bus ticket to either Shawnee, or Oklahoma City for they know that they will be taken care of.     I don't know of any church that is geared up to take care of permanent homeless people.    I don't know where the people who feed them get the finances, but I know that much of it is non government grants from private donations.

• Group:  Royal Member *
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  91
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  10,596
  • Content Per Day:  3.70
  • Days Won:  25

12 hours ago, SavedByGrace1981 said:

I'm sure that in some cases that is true.  I just hesitate to paint with such a broad brush.

As I've mentioned before, I am a member of church of an evangelical Protestant denomination.  Our church is small - averaging between 40 to 45 attendees on any given Sunday.  I also happen to be the treasurer of our church, so I have knowledge of the church's finances and its giving.

Even though we are small, we are blessed to be able to give to our denomination's world mission funds, and to support three children overseas.  We have given to help local needs at times; and we give to a local teen crisis pregnancy center.

I don't mean to "toot our own horn" - indeed, I suspect if one were to examine the finances of many small churches like ours one would find similar examples of giving.

We can all cite examples of extravagance that seems to be all too common in some ministries.  That is what makes news.

Helping the poor and needy; following Jesus' commands - not so "newsworthy".

Blessings,

-Ed 

There are pockets of people doing good things like your church, but this book looks at the numbers as a whole for the US, and they are actually embarrassing.   I applaud you and your church for the work they are doing, we need more to do this, but in my experience too many are too focused inwards and not outward. 

Edited by Out of the Shadows

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,923
  • Content Per Day:  0.61
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  03/22/1953

11 minutes ago, Out of the Shadows said:

There are pockets of people doing good things like your church, but this book looks at the numbers as a whole for the US, and they are actually embarrassing.   I applaud you and your church for the work they are doing, we need more to do this, but in my experience too many are too focused inwards and not outward. 

As to numbers as a whole for the US, I suspect you are correct.  

I'm reminded of Jesus' parable about the widow's mite.

Sometimes affluence is NOT our friend.

Blessings,

-Ed

Edited by SavedByGrace1981

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,795
  • Content Per Day:  6.22
  • Days Won:  58

Just to make that easier to read ...

The journey will be difficult. The road will be long. I face this challenge with profound humility, and knowledge of my own limitations. But I also face it with limitless faith in the capacity of the American people. Because if we are willing to work for it, and fight for it, and believe in it, then I am absolutely certain thatgenerations from now, we will be able to look back and tell our children that this was the moment when we began to provide care for the sick and good jobs to the jobless; this was the moment when the rise of the oceans began to slow and our planet began to heal; this was the moment when we ended a war and secured our nation and restored our image as the last, best hope on Earth. This was the moment - this was the time - when we came together to remake this great nation so that it may always reflect our very best selves, and our highest ideals. Thank you, God Bless you, and may God Bless the United States of America.

Obama's Nomination Victory Speech In St. Paul June 3, 2008.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.96
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Question: Did the first century church have programs to care for the entire poor population of their city, or just for the brethren?