GoodFruit

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  138
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

I was curious to know what faith denomination those you here are.  I just thought it would be interesting to see all the different backgrounds y’all come from.  Please do not misunderstand; I’m by no means trying to be judgmental about your personal beliefs.  I have been reading a lot of posts from different people and it just got me to wondering what your doctrinal backgrounds are to help me get a better grasp on the lens thru which you view scripture.  A lot of times, people interpret scriptures based upon a particular denomination’s teachings. 

I’m not promoting one denomination over another but reading posts from multiple people with differing belief concepts can be confusing to me.  Sometimes I’d just like to know where someone’s particular thought/belief/interpretation originates.

Myself, I was raised in the Lutheran faith, Missouri Synod, which is on the conservative end of the spectrum (Wisconsin Synod is ultra-conservative, ELCA is ultra-liberal).  However, as I have aged and matured in my faith, I am not totally sold on the LCMS doctrine and I have some serious issues with some (not all) of it, particularly infant baptism and that baptism saves (although it is not taught outright, it is implied).  A couple years ago I decided to start “church shopping” after having a heavy heart about the LCMS teachings and went to a couple non-denominational churches, which didn’t have any substance and were more about socializing than teaching the truth of God’s word.  I then started attending a Bible Church that has been in my tiny little town for 125 years.  On a good day, there might be a total of 30 people in attendance but the teaching is solid truth right out of the Bible.  I do still attend the Lutheran church once or twice a month out of respect for my parents.  My mother is a very active member of the church and it is her joy to have her children worshipping with her.  As long as she is alive, I will honor her and not bring any grief or hurt to her by completely walking away from my church roots.  Even if I don’t completely agree with the doctrine.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,990
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,688
  • Content Per Day:  11.83
  • Days Won:  226

10 minutes ago, GoodFruit said:

I was curious to know what faith denomination those you here are.  I just thought it would be interesting to see all the different backgrounds y’all come from.  Please do not misunderstand; I’m by no means trying to be judgmental about your personal beliefs.  I have been reading a lot of posts from different people and it just got me to wondering what your doctrinal backgrounds are to help me get a better grasp on the lens thru which you view scripture.  A lot of times, people interpret scriptures based upon a particular denomination’s teachings. 

I’m not promoting one denomination over another but reading posts from multiple people with differing belief concepts can be confusing to me.  Sometimes I’d just like to know where someone’s particular thought/belief/interpretation originates.

Myself, I was raised in the Lutheran faith, Missouri Synod, which is on the conservative end of the spectrum (Wisconsin Synod is ultra-conservative, ELCA is ultra-liberal).  However, as I have aged and matured in my faith, I am not totally sold on the LCMS doctrine and I have some serious issues with some (not all) of it, particularly infant baptism and that baptism saves (although it is not taught outright, it is implied).  A couple years ago I decided to start “church shopping” after having a heavy heart about the LCMS teachings and went to a couple non-denominational churches, which didn’t have any substance and were more about socializing than teaching the truth of God’s word.  I then started attending a Bible Church that has been in my tiny little town for 125 years.  On a good day, there might be a total of 30 people in attendance but the teaching is solid truth right out of the Bible.  I do still attend the Lutheran church once or twice a month out of respect for my parents.  My mother is a very active member of the church and it is her joy to have her children worshipping with her.  As long as she is alive, I will honor her and not bring any grief or hurt to her by completely walking away from my church roots.  Even if I don’t completely agree with the doctrine.

I am a non denominational born again "Christian". I attended the Lutheran Church Missouri Synod for 25 years. I did not grow as a Christian in that Church so I left.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.96
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Raise in a Lutheran Missouri Synod church that had many congregants who where influenced by the Charismatic and/or Jesus Movement. My beliefs tended to favor the Charismatic side of things. When I was in high school, we left that church for a newly formed Evangelical Charismatic church. I've been sticking with that persuasion, although I am accepting that there are faults and pitfalls with the theology and the way they tend to operate - mainly for lack of a suitable alternative church to go to.

Guest shiloh357
5 hours ago, GoodFruit said:

I was curious to know what faith denomination those you here are.

I am a Preslyterian.   We base our theology on the life and songs of Elvis Presley.

:P

19 minutes ago, shiloh357 said:

I am a Preslyterian.   We base our theology on the life and songs of Elvis Presley.

:P

ROFL!

As for my "denomination", I guess I'd be a five dollar bill. :P

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,990
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,688
  • Content Per Day:  11.83
  • Days Won:  226

You guys are taking that poor person's thread and tearing it apart :unsure:

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  266
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  13,182
  • Content Per Day:  3.49
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  10/06/1947

Hi GoodFruit,

I am fourth generation Apostolic Denomination. This came from the Welsh revival in 1917. My grandparents brought the teachings to Australia & New Zealand in the 1940`s. I don`t think it ever took off in America but is mainly in the UK & the Commonwealth. You will see many of my posts are different from the usual eschatological teaching, & that is because we have some differences from Pentecostal teachings.

Actually our denomination was called the Anglicans of the Pentecostals as we were more `formal.`

We are not the `New Apostolic Reformation` (NAR) denomination as their teaching are dominionism. (we take over the world).

The difference between the Pentecostal churches & Apostolic teaching is that we believed in the 5 fold ministries of the ascended Lord & operated in them. A hall mark of my early days was wonderful prophetic words extolling & lifting up the Lord Jesus Christ. Today I see that the Apostolic denomination has taken on a lot of `Pentecostal` teachings & has become quite institutionalised. (like most)

I am now not an organisational person but relate in a `network` of relationships that are outward reaching. And finally there is a teaching on the `eternal purposes` that I learned in Apostolic meetings & Bible School, that has yet to be understood across the Body.

regards, Marilyn.

Edited by Marilyn C

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  904
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,642
  • Content Per Day:  2.03
  • Days Won:  9

Chunked 'em all.

2 Peter 1:20–21 (AV)
20 Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.
21 For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.

...sent me down a different path.

What fuels and divides denominations are the traditions of men.  Mark 7:7-13 essentially says the traditions of men nullify the Word of God.

Matthew 16:13-23 contrasts the things of God with the things of man (which is the theme of the passage). People often lose track of this chasing down who is Petra and Petros or of Peter is the first Pope missing entirely the point Jesus was making. Things of God = truth correctness things of man = wrong wrong wrong and are of the devil which is why Jesus called Peter Satan.

The Church since the hostile Roman take over (by Emperor Constantine) had been bogged down and diluted with human tradition for 1700 years.  Most denominations are variations of Roman Catholicism. The Southern Baptist Seminary adopted atheist teachings in Higher Spiritual Criticism of the scriptures, probably employ atheist professors by now, were definitely more concerned with $$$ in the 1980's than souls won to Christ.

Nearly all other denominations are the same.

This is why God never set out to build another religion / denomination / hierarchy of man. We are all priests before God (1 Peter 2:3-9, Revelation 1:6, Revelation 5:10). 

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.81
  • Days Won:  44

19 hours ago, GoodFruit said:

I was curious to know what faith denomination those you here are. 

Hiya Goodfruit!

I grew up Southern Baptist. I currently attend a Bible church that has loose affiliations with Southern Baptists still. That said, the most important thing to me is that a local church follows the teachings of the Bible. I also realize I'm never going to agree 100% with any church I'm a part of and that's okay. It's all about bringing God honor and letting others know the wonderful news of Jesus Christ in the Gospel! :) 

God bless,

GE

• Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,064
  • Content Per Day:  7.97
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

I attend a Independent Baptist Church & my Love is God's Word . • . I want to know what God has said! Not what someone thinks He has saidexclamation smiley.jpg