Struggle with relationship

• Group:  Newbie
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

I am 22 years old and honestly not the closest with God but I am trying anyways so a few years ago I met this girl at a formal ball and we all know that feeling of love at first sight well this was it. I found out a day later after our meeting that she lived 3 hours from me but we both talked about it and I was hesitant but we started a relationship and fell in love. It lasted around 2 years and she ended it due to the distance and during me talking to her about not giving up I admitted that I wanted to talk to her father about marrying her. I was not at all active to go see her and that is my biggest regret. I knew on our last night together when she was staying with her sister that something was wrong because before she left she just held onto me and cried a little. Later on I found out that she knew it was our last time together and it hurt her. Of course we all have our struggles and things but she told me that she doesn't date people who cuss and I did. I did my best to quit because she challenged me spiritually to be the man that I should be. No  other girl since has challenged me to be the man I should be since then. It has been 2 years since we actually had a good conversation and just looking at her picture makes me nervous and I get that butterfly feeling inside. It takes all that I have in me to look at her Facebook profile because I know for a fact that I still have feelings for her and it very well may be true that I love her still but not to the same degree of course. I have began to pray to God asking him to reveal to me what I should do but I have an awful time trying to separate my feelings from His answer. I am currently deployed and I wrote her a letter and I am awaiting her letter that I was told is being sent to me. My question is should I just give up and accept we will never be together again or continue to pray and talk to her in the hopes that we could be together again. No other girl I know challenged me to be the man I should be nor pushed me to be closer to God. There isn't a girl on this earth that I would rather be with and one that calms the storm within me. Ever since this girl I have not been able to make it into a successful relationship or make it past maybe 1 or 2 dates. One thing that I loved about her was that she was waiting until marriage for sex and I am doing the same thing, its the small things and her beliefs that also largely attract me to her.

Edited by Life Learner

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  56
  • Topic Count:  1,664
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  19,763
  • Content Per Day:  2.39
  • Days Won:  28

I'm posting this for Willa :)

The answer is to put God first in your life and seek Him and His Kingdom with all your being.  Confess your sin to God and ask Him to help you to stop cussing, then ask Him to forgive you.   Trust that God will forgive you because He sent His only Son Jesus to earth to die in your place for your sinful nature so that His nature might live in you by His Holy Spirit.  Only He can give you the power to live the Christian life.  You need God's help.

You are attracted to this girl because you see the Spirit of Christ living in her.  He produces love, joy peace patience kindness goodness long-suffering, faithfulness and self control.  Not that we all have those qualities all of the time, but they are produced by the Holy Spirit living in us.  And as we grow in Christ we become more like Him.  Your girl friend is looking for a godly man to be her husband and be a godly example for her children.  So ask God to make you into the kind of person He wants you to be.    Meanwhile, just tell God you want to be a strong Christian and ask for His help.  

We are not supposed to marry unbelievers according to the Bible, because we don't have much in common with them--we are heading in opposite directions in regards to heaven and hell.  We are supposed to marry someone who seeks the Kingdom of God and His righteousness.  So my advice is to become a believer--turn away from sin by asking for forgiveness and God's help; believe that God only forgives because of Jesus' sacrifice on the cross for our sins; tell others you have asked for God's forgiveness and help to avoid bad attitudes and lifestyles;  then read the Bible, pray and be baptized.  

Rom 10:9 ESV because, if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.  Rom 10:10  For with the heart one believes and is justified, and with the mouth one confesses and is saved.  

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  155
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,464
  • Content Per Day:  1.02
  • Days Won:  57
  • Birthday:  12/12/1952

On 9/16/2016 at 4:16 AM, Life Learner said:

I am 22 years old and honestly not the closest with God but I am trying anyways so a few years ago I met this girl at a formal ball and we all know that feeling of love at first sight well this was it. I found out a day later after our meeting that she lived 3 hours from me but we both talked about it and I was hesitant but we started a relationship and fell in love. It lasted around 2 years and she ended it due to the distance and during me talking to her about not giving up I admitted that I wanted to talk to her father about marrying her. I was not at all active to go see her and that is my biggest regret. I knew on our last night together when she was staying with her sister that something was wrong because before she left she just held onto me and cried a little. Later on I found out that she knew it was our last time together and it hurt her. Of course we all have our struggles and things but she told me that she doesn't date people who cuss and I did. I did my best to quit because she challenged me spiritually to be the man that I should be. No  other girl since has challenged me to be the man I should be since then. It has been 2 years since we actually had a good conversation and just looking at her picture makes me nervous and I get that butterfly feeling inside. It takes all that I have in me to look at her Facebook profile because I know for a fact that I still have feelings for her and it very well may be true that I love her still but not to the same degree of course. I have began to pray to God asking him to reveal to me what I should do but I have an awful time trying to separate my feelings from His answer. I am currently deployed and I wrote her a letter and I am awaiting her letter that I was told is being sent to me. My question is should I just give up and accept we will never be together again or continue to pray and talk to her in the hopes that we could be together again. No other girl I know challenged me to be the man I should be nor pushed me to be closer to God. There isn't a girl on this earth that I would rather be with and one that calms the storm within me. Ever since this girl I have not been able to make it into a successful relationship or make it past maybe 1 or 2 dates. One thing that I loved about her was that she was waiting until marriage for sex and I am doing the same thing, its the small things and her beliefs that also largely attract me to her.

You have only had two dates.  You need a lot more time to know what you want.  You are 22 and have a lot of time.  Don't rush.  Making a mistake in marriage is not good, and there are a lot more important things in marriage other then sex.  Think about it.