IGNORED

Do you view life through the "either/or" or the "both/and" lens?

GoldenEagle

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.82
  • Days Won:  44

16 hours ago, Ezra said:

Fellowship means walking in God's light (1 John 1:1-10). God's light is not only His presence but also His written Word -- "thy Word is Truth" and "the entrance of thy Word giveth Light".  

If someone comes along and says Adam or Jonah were not real historical persons, or Moses was not really the writer of the Torah, in spite of what the Bible says, then they have departed from the truth. Therefore Christians cannot have fellowship with those who pick and choose what they will believe and what they will not.

We can engage in discussions but at some point there will be a parting of the ways. "Can two walk together, unless they be agreed?" (Amos 3:3). 

I doubt very much that there are millions who question the creation account if they are genuine believers. Even in the general population, most people do not really believe in evolution. And old earth creationists are probably a minority.

Hiya Ezra :) 

1. Is the "Word" here in reference to Jesus or the Bible in 1 John 1:1-10?

2. How do we know that Moses was the writer of the Torah?

Torah =  the law of God as revealed to Moses and recorded in the first five books of the Hebrew scriptures (the Pentateuch).

2. Doesn't everyone pick and choose what they will believe and what they will not to a certain extent? Take any of the following issues: End Times, Pre/Post/Mid/Pro Tribulation, Baptism, Speaking in Tongues, Gifts of the Holy Spirit, Predestination (Calvinism) vs Free Will (Armenianism)

4. How do we know if someone is a genuine Believer? Is Amos 3:3 not better interpreted with “Do two walk together, unless they have agreed to meet?" Seems to me that the passage in context in Amos 3 is dealing with contrasts. A lion doesn't roar without a prey. A bird doesn't fall into a trap without a trap being set in place. A snare doesn't spring up from the ground with a victim.

So, two people don't walk together unless they've agreed to meet makes more sense don't you think?

5. You'd be surprised to know that many people hold to the theory of evolution in the general population. Most of my friends who are not Christians believe in the theory of evolution in some form or fashion. You are including Christians and non-Christians right in "general population"?

God bless,
GE

2 hours ago, *Deidre* said:

Unfortunately, I back away from people a lot, without maybe giving them a fair chance to explain things. I’m getting better at that. I think it’s fair to avoid people who don’t treat us well, and it’s obvious that they never will. It’s not like they’re having a bad day or something, but their behavior is such that they treat us like doormats or are mean spirited. I have a few Christian friends who treat me poorly, while some of my atheist friends treat me far kinder. I’m learning that saying one is a Christian doesn’t mean much – if those words aren’t backed up, then I tend to steer clear of those people. If we cross paths, I’m kind…but I don’t think that we need to keep people in our lives who are toxic or destructive to our well being.

Hiya Deidre I can relate a lot to this... Yet don't mean or toxic people also need to know God's love and grace?

What about those who simply see things differently than we do?

God bless,
GE

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.37
  • Days Won:  20

40 minutes ago, GoldenEagle said:

Are those who believe differently than us simply to be discarded as wrong?

It is not a matter of believing "differently than us" as though Christianity boils down to mere opinions. Those who depart from Bible truth discard themselves. Scripture says "from such turn away". "Warm and fuzzy" is not a substitute for truth.

4 hours ago, Ezra said:

It is not a matter of believing "differently than us" as though Christianity boils down to mere opinions. Those who depart from Bible truth discard themselves. Scripture says "from such turn away". "Warm and fuzzy" is not a substitute for truth.

I believe it is. People who don't know the truth can only know the truth if they're taught. How will they teach if nobody will teach them? How will anybody teach them if they don't engage them?

Is someone who departs from certain teachings of the Bible to be discarded?

From what I read in Scripture God has tasked us to teach, reproof, correct, and train others. Further we are to speak graciously and seasoned with salt so that we might know how to answer people we come across. We are to restore others in a spirit of gentleness. We are to be tenderhearted and forgive one another as we have been forgiven so much by Jesus.

1 Tim. 3:16-17
All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God[may be complete, equipped for every good work.

Hebrews 4:12
For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart.

James 5:19
My brothers, if anyone among you wanders from the truth and someone brings him back, let him know that whoever brings back a sinner from his wandering will save his soul from death and will cover a multitude of sins.

Colossians 4:6
Let your speech always be gracious, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how you ought to answer each person.

Gal. 6:1
Brothers, if anyone is caught in any transgression, you who are spiritual should restore him in a spirit of gentleness. Keep watch on yourself, lest you too be tempted.

Ephesians 4:32
Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you.

Where do you read from such turn away? Do all of us not struggle with some form of sin in 2 Timothy 3 at some point in time?

God bless,

GE

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  521
  • Content Per Day:  0.17
  • Days Won:  0

7 hours ago, GoldenEagle said:

Hiya Deidre I can relate a lot to this... Yet don't mean or toxic people also need to know God's love and grace?

What about those who simply see things differently than we do?

God bless,
GE

I think we should always show God's love and grace to everyone, even those who aren't interested in the message of Jesus, but we don't need to accept abuse from people. (and I was also speaking in generalities lol, sorry I should have elaborated more) :)

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.37
  • Days Won:  20

3 hours ago, GoldenEagle said:

Is someone who departs from certain teachings of the Bible to be discarded?

As I already stated, they discard themselves.  No need for anyone to "discard" anyone else.

Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away. (2 Timothy 3:5).

@Ezra I'm not sure if you really want to have a discussion given you haven't responded to my questions here on this post so I'll just let things be as they are. I'm going to agree to disagree with your view.

@*Deidre* I see where you are coming from. I don't think anyone should subject themselves to abuse either.

God bless,
GE