IGNORED

Do you view life through the "either/or" or the "both/and" lens?

GoldenEagle

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.82
  • Days Won:  44

Sometimes people believe in the either/or.

Examples: I'm either right or I'm wrong. You are either right or wrong. If I'm right you must be wrong. If I'm wrong you must be right. It is either black or white. It is either believing in baptism by water or infant baptism. I can either be friends or enemies with a person. People are either speaking the truth or speaking lies.

Others believe that many things are both/and.

Examples: I can have one perspective and you can have another. We can both disagree and still have fellowship by the bond of Christ that unites us. I might be right and you might be right. We both might be wrong so we should study the topic or passage further.

Do you often view life through the either/or lens or the both/and lens? 

God bless,
GE

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  171
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  4,813
  • Content Per Day:  0.64
  • Days Won:  0

Good question.  I can disagree with anyone and still remain friendly and respectful and have no hard feelings, Christian or otherwise.   I think, sadly, that many cannot.   Love is reserved for those in agreement with each other.   They forget that love is a COMMANDMENT, not an option.  

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

You mean not open minded but narrow minded? I consider myself to be open minded. I can look at the whole picture and know what the word of God says and then make up my mind. I am not closed off from the beginning.I have to look at wisdom, good judgment,morals and values in my decision. But If I am considering a problem between two people I always need to see two sides of the story to make a correct opinion.

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  171
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  4,813
  • Content Per Day:  0.64
  • Days Won:  0

1 hour ago, missmuffet said:

But If I am considering a problem between two people I always need to see two sides of the story to make a correct opinion.

I like this and can relate.

I think it helps if we enter a discussion with the knowledge that  a) we don't know it all, and b) not a single one of us has everything right.  Some people become Christians, decide what they believe on certain issues, and never change their minds on any of them their entire lives.  I am subject to change my opinions on many issues in light of new information.    And, I often say, "I'm not sure..  I haven't thought about it yet".   Some people HAVE to have an opinion on everything.   And, like others have said, there are a few that I will not change on, basically the apostles creed.  

4 minutes ago, artsylady said:

I like this and can relate.

I think it helps if we enter a discussion with the knowledge that  a) we don't know it all, and b) not a single one of us has everything right.  Some people become Christians, decide what they believe on certain issues, and never change their minds on any of them their entire lives.  I am subject to change my opinions on many issues in light of new information.    And like others have said, there are a few that I will not change on, basically the apostles creed.  

I have heard a particular situation before based on one side of the story. Then I hear the whole story told by both parties and my opinion can change considerably.

2 hours ago, Yowm said:

Depends on the topic.

When it comes to for example, 'Jesus is the only way'...I am 'either/or'

When it comes to a more nebulous topic, like the topic of the timing of the rapture, I'm 'both/and'.

IOW there are some topics where there is no compromise. Period.

Yowm I think most Christians would agree that Jesus is the only way. That is a clear example of a good either/or proposition. :thumbsup: 

What other topics is there no compromise do you think?

God bless,
GE

5 hours ago, artsylady said:

Good question.  I can disagree with anyone and still remain friendly and respectful and have no hard feelings, Christian or otherwise.   I think, sadly, that many cannot.   Love is reserved for those in agreement with each other.   They forget that love is a COMMANDMENT, not an option.  

I would agree with you. I wonder why people cannot remain friendly and respectful without getting their feelings hurt? Love is not an option for those who follow Christ. That's a great reminder! :thumbsup:

God bless,
GE

2 minutes ago, GoldenEagle said:

I would agree with you. I wonder why people cannot remain friendly and respectful without getting their feelings hurt? Love is not an option for those who follow Christ. That's a great reminder! :thumbsup:

God bless,
GE

People can be honest and give their opinion. This can be done appropriately. I then would take a serious look at myself. I would not take it personally if it was done in love.

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.37
  • Days Won:  20

6 hours ago, GoldenEagle said:

Do you view life through the either/or lens or the both/and lens? 

Bible truth is generally either/or, so that's how it should be. For example we are either saved by grace through faith or we are saved by works or some other combination. People can't expect to sit on the fence and be consistent Christians. As Christ said to the Laodiceans, be either hot or cold.

2 hours ago, missmuffet said:

You mean not open minded but narrow minded? I consider myself to be open minded. I can look at the whole picture and know what the word of God says and then make up my mind. I am not closed off from the beginning. I have to look at wisdom, good judgment, morals and values in my decision. But If I am considering a problem between two people I always need to see two sides of the story to make a correct opinion.

I would agree with you here. :) 

God bless,
GE