IGNORED

The Kingdom Of Heaven Parables in Matthew 13.

Marilyn C

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  265
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  13,128
  • Content Per Day:  3.50
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  10/06/1947

This topic came up recently & I thought it would be interesting to discuss – the

kingdom of heaven parables of Matthew 13: 1 – 52.

I think it is important to see them in context to the whole book of Matthew. Now I believe that Christ is depicted in Matthew as the kinsman – king based on –

`God told Moses - You shall surely set a king over you whom the Lord your God chooses, one from among your countrymen...”` (Deut. 17: 15)

We are shown Christ`s genealogy from –

`son of Abraham` - therefore a country man of Israel,

`son of David,` - therefore from the kingly tribe. (Matt. 1: 1)

Then in Matt. 2: 6 there is a quote from the prophet Micah confirming that Bethlehem is the town where –

`from you (Bethlehem) one will go forth for me to be ruler in Israel.` (Micah 5: 2)

We see that the wise men came to worship the `King of the Jews.` (Matt. 2: 1 & 2)

And God, Himself Anointed Him with the Spirit saying, -

`This is My Son, the Beloved.` (Matt. 3: 17) (Chosen of the Father)

When the High Priest asked Jesus –

`Tell us whether You are the Christ, (Messiah/King) the Son of God.` Jesus says, “You have said it yourself.` (Matt. 26: 63 & 64)

Then Jesus being Israel`s king, reminds the people that the kingdom which God promised them is, the kingdom of heaven, the Messiah`s rule from the heavenlies. (Matt. 13)

Jesus used the parables in Matthew 13 to highlight the promises of God to Israel. I will do a summary & leave the details for the discussion.

In the Matthew 13 parables, I believe that the Lord Jesus Christ was reminding the people of Israel of God`s promises to them as a nation. He quoted the prophets to stir up the people to remembrance.

God had told Daniel that the Gentile rulership would come to an end & then –

`the God of heaven will set up a kingdom which shall never be destroyed;...` (Dan. 2: 44)

GOD`S PROMISES TO ISRAEL.

Parable 1. The Sower & the Seed – receiving the word of the kingdom.

God`s promise - A humble heart receives righteousness from God.  (Ps. 24: 4 & 5)

Jesus quotes Isaiah`s prophecy to explain the situation. (Matt. 13: 14 – 17 & Isa. 6: 9)

Parable 2. The Fruit of this Faith (in what God promised Israel) was obedience resulting in righteousness.

God`s promise - Only the righteous may enter, while the unrighteous are judged & condemned. (Ps. 24: 3 & 4   Dan. 12: 2) 

Jesus quotes Daniel`s prophecy. (Matt. 13: 41 – 43    Dan. 12: 2 & 3)

Parable 3. The Mustard seed. Israel the foremost rule over all the nations.

God`s promise - He would exalt Israel to be the ruling nation in the kingdom. (Gen. 12: 1 – 3    Isa. 2: 1- 3)

There would be two aspects to the kingdom: heavenly & Earthly.

Israel would reign:

`as stars` - prominent position in the heavens &

`as sand,` - predominant position on the earth. (Gen. 15: 5    13: 16     22: 17)

& inherit the land of Canaan. (Gen. 12: 7    13: 15     15: 18 – 21   17: 8)

Jesus quotes Ezekiel`s prophecy. (Matt. 13: 32    Ez. 17: 22 – 24)

Parable 4. The Leaven.

God`s promise -  Israel would be a universal blessing to all the nations.  (Gen. 12: 3   22: 18)

Jesus reminds Israel of the promise to Abraham & Sarah. (Matt. 13: 33    Gen. 18: 6 – 14)

Parable 5. The Hidden Treasure. Israel is to be a holy nation that has access to God & the nations. They are to be a kingdom of priests.

God`s promise – Israel would rule as a kingdom of Holy Priests forever.

Jesus reminds Israel that they are the `special treasure.` (Matt. 13: 44    Ex. 19: 5 & 6)

Parable 6. The Pearl of Great Price. Israel is to be ruled by the wisest king.

God`s promise  - King David`s throne would be established with his greater Son ruling forever. (Gen. 12: 3    17: 6, 16     2 Sam. 7: 13     Matt. 22: 42 – 45)

Jesus reminds Israel of God`s promise. Note -`wisdom is above that of pearls.` (Job 28: 18 NAS)

(Ref. Matt. 13: 45 & 46    Prov. 8: 12 & 15     1 Kings 10: 23    Matt. 12: 42    Jer. 23: 5 & 6)

Parable 7. The Dragnet. The wicked & the righteous sorted out.

God`s promise – After judgment, there would be a new heavens & a new earth, in which the righteous kingdom would be established. (Isa. 66: 16 & 22)

Jesus reminds Israel again of the prophecy of Daniel. (Matt. 13: 49 & 50    Dan. 12: 2 & 3)

SUMMARY

The kingdom of heaven is the rulership of God through Israel from the New Jerusalem, in the heavenlies & over the earth.

What are your thoughts?

Marilyn.

Edited by Marilyn C

12 minutes ago, inchrist said:

Marilyn,

I'm really glad you posted this.

Christ stated the following in Matthew 13

34 Jesus spoke all these things to the crowd in parables; he did not say anything to them without using a parable. 35 So was fulfilled what was spoken through the prophet:

“I will open my mouth in parables,
    I will utter things hidden since the creation of the world.”

This is fundamentally important to understanding our eschatology as Christ mainly spoke in parables concerning events leading up to his second coming.

This is a great topic as I believe we have never truly discussed all the parables in lengths on this forum.

My question to you, well you rightly observe Israel in view regarding Matthew 13, you dont see the church?

Hi inchrist,

Thank you for your encouragement bro. And you read me right - I don`t see the church, the Body of Christ in relation to what Christ is saying to Israel at that time.

regards, Marilyn.

Hi inchrist,

Just to clear up a matter. The topic here is what Jesus said to the people of Israel in the parables of Matthew. You may not have realised but you have gone to another subject - is the church apart of Israel. From what you said.

`So the church and Israel specifically to the House of Ephrayim are actually interchangeable as Ephrayim is destined to become Christianized as well as the gentile nations.`

I would therefore suggest that you start a thread on that topic. Note strongly, I wont be discussing it here or entering into any discussion about your previous thread.

Thank you, in anticipation Marilyn.

Edited by Marilyn C

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  208
  • Topic Count:  60
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  8,651
  • Content Per Day:  1.18
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  03/04/1943

On 9/17/2016 at 7:31 PM, Marilyn C said:

This topic came up recently & I thought it would be interesting to discuss – the

kingdom of heaven parables of Matthew 13: 1 – 52.

I think it is important to see them in context to the whole book of Matthew. Now I believe that Christ is depicted in Matthew as the kinsman – king based on –

`God told Moses - You shall surely set a king over you whom the Lord your God chooses, one from among your countrymen...”` (Deut. 17: 15)

We are shown Christ`s genealogy from –

`son of Abraham` - therefore a country man of Israel,

`son of David,` - therefore from the kingly tribe. (Matt. 1: 1)

Then in Matt. 2: 6 there is a quote from the prophet Micah confirming that Bethlehem is the town where –

`from you (Bethlehem) one will go forth for me to be ruler in Israel.` (Micah 5: 2)

We see that the wise men came to worship the `King of the Jews.` (Matt. 2: 1 & 2)

And God, Himself Anointed Him with the Spirit saying, -

`This is My Son, the Beloved.` (Matt. 3: 17) (Chosen of the Father)

When the High Priest asked Jesus –

`Tell us whether You are the Christ, (Messiah/King) the Son of God.` Jesus says, “You have said it yourself.` (Matt. 26: 63 & 64)

Then Jesus being Israel`s king, reminds the people that the kingdom which God promised them is, the kingdom of heaven, the Messiah`s rule from the heavenlies. (Matt. 13)

Jesus used the parables in Matthew 13 to highlight the promises of God to Israel. I will do a summary & leave the details for the discussion.

:thumbsup:

Sometimes Parables, Sometimes Not So Much

The same day went Jesus out of the house, and sat by the sea side. And great multitudes were gathered together unto him, so that he went into a ship, and sat; and the whole multitude stood on the shore.

And he spoke many things unto them in parables, saying,
Behold, a sower went forth to sow;
And when he sowed, some seeds fell by the wayside, and the fowls came and devoured them up:

Some fell upon stony places, where they had not much earth: and immediately they sprung up, because they had no deepness of earth:
And when the sun was up, they were scorched; and because they had no root, they withered away.

And some fell among thorns; and the thorns sprung up, and choked them:
But others fell into good ground, and brought forth fruit, some a hundredfold, some sixtyfold, some thirtyfold.

Who has ears to hear, let him hear.

And the disciples came, and said unto him, Why do you speak unto them in parables? He answered and said unto them, Because it is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it is not given. For whosoever has, to him shall be given, and he shall have more abundance: but whosoever has not, from him shall be taken away even what he has. Therefore speak I to them in parables: because seeing they see not; and hearing they hear not, neither do they understand.

And in them is fulfilled the prophecy of Isaiah, who said, By hearing you shall hear, and shall not understand; and seeing you shall see, and shall not perceive: For this people's heart has become gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes they have closed; lest at any time they should see with their eyes and hear with their ears, and should understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them.

But blessed are your eyes, for they see: and your ears, for they hear. For verily I say unto you, That many prophets and righteous men have desired to see those things which you see, and have not seen them; and to hear those things which you hear, and have not heard them.

Hear you therefore the parable of the sower. When any one hears the word of the kingdom, and understands it not, then comes the wicked one, and catches away that which was sown in his heart. This is he who received seed by the way side.

But he that received the seed in stony places, the same is he that hears the word, and immediately with joy receives it; Yet has he not root in himself, but endures for a while: for when tribulation or persecution arises because of the word, immediately he is offended.

He also that received seed among the thorns is he that hears the word; and the care of this world, and the deceitfulness of riches, choke the word, and he becomes unfruitful.

But he that received seed in the good ground is he that hears the word, and understands it; who also bears fruit, and brings forth, some a hundredfold, some sixty, some thirty.

Another parable put he forth unto them, saying, The kingdom of heaven is likened unto a man who sowed good seed in his field: But while men slept, his enemy came and sowed tares among the wheat, and went his way. But when the plant was sprung up, and brought forth fruit, then appeared the tares also.

So the servants of the householder came and said unto him, Sir, did you not sow good seed in your field? from where then has it tares? He said unto them, An enemy has done this. The servants said unto him, Will you then that we go and gather them up?

But he said, Nay; lest while you gather up the tares, you root up also the wheat with them. Let both grow together until the harvest: and in the time of harvest I will say to the reapers, Gather you together first the tares, and bind them in bundles to burn them: but gather the wheat into my barn.

Another parable put he forth unto them, saying, The kingdom of heaven is like to a grain of mustard seed, which a man took, and sowed in his field: Which indeed is the least of all seeds: but when it is grown, it is the greatest among herbs, and becomes a tree, so that the birds of the air come and lodge in the branches thereof.

Another parable spoke he unto them; The kingdom of heaven is like unto leaven, which a woman took, and hid in three measures of meal, till the whole was leavened.

All these things spoke Jesus unto the multitude in parables; and without a parable spoke he not unto them: That it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophet, saying, I will open my mouth in parables; I will utter things which have been kept secret from the foundation of the world.

Then Jesus sent the multitude away, and went into the house: and his disciples came unto him, saying, Declare unto us the parable of the tares of the field.

He answered and said unto them, He that sows the good seed is the Son of man; The field is the world; the good seed are the children of the kingdom; but the tares are the children of the wicked one; The enemy that sowed them is the devil; the harvest is the end of the world; and the reapers are the angels.

As therefore the tares are gathered and burned in the fire; so shall it be in the end of this world. The Son of man shall send forth his angels, and they shall gather out of his kingdom all things that offend, and them which do iniquity; And shall cast them into a furnace of fire: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth.

Then shall the righteous shine forth as the sun in the kingdom of their Father. Who has ears to hear, let him hear.

Again, the kingdom of heaven is like unto treasure hid in a field; which when a man has found, he hides, and for joy thereof goes and sells all that he has, and buys that field.

Again, the kingdom of heaven is like unto a merchant man, seeking fine pearls: Who, when he had found one pearl of great price, went and sold all that he had, and bought it.

Again, the kingdom of heaven is like unto a net, that was cast into the sea, and gathered of every kind: Which, when it was full, they drew to shore, and sat down, and gathered the good into vessels, but cast the bad away.

So shall it be at the end of the world: the angels shall come forth, and sever the wicked from among the just, And shall cast them into the furnace of fire: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth.

Jesus said unto them, Have you understood all these things? They say unto him, Yea, Lord.

Then said he unto them, Therefore every scribe who is instructed concerning the kingdom of heaven is like unto a man that is a householder, who brings forth out of his treasure things new and old.

And it came to pass, that when Jesus had finished these parables, he departed from there. And when he came into his own country, he taught them in their synagogue, so that they were astonished, and said, From where has this man this wisdom, and these mighty works?

Is not this the carpenter's son? is not his mother called Mary? and his brothers, James, and Joses, and Simon, and Judas? And his sisters, are they not all with us? from where then has this man all these things?

And they were offended in him. But Jesus said unto them, A prophet is not without honor, except in his own country, and in his own house. And he did not many mighty works there because of their unbelief. Matthew 13 (King James 2000)

~

Wonderful Thread~!

Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another. Proverbs 27:17 (New American Standard Bible)

~

Be Blessed Beloved Daughter Of The KING

The LORD bless thee, and keep thee:
The LORD make his face shine upon thee, and be gracious unto thee:
The LORD lift up his countenance upon thee, and give thee peace.

And they shall put my name upon the children of Israel; and I will bless them. Numbers 6:24-27 (King James Bible)

Love, Your Brother Joe

~

All your words are true; all your righteous laws are eternal. Psalms 119:160 (New International Version)

The Bible contains the mind of God, the state of man, the way of salvation, the doom of sinners, and the happiness of believers. Its doctrines are holy, its precepts are binding, its histories are true, and its decisions are immutable.

Read it to be wise, believe it to be safe, and practice it to be holy. It contains light to direct you, food to support you, and comfort to cheer you.

It is the traveler’s map, the pilgrim’s staff, the pilot’s compass, the soldier’s sword and the Christian’s charter. Here too, Heaven is opened and the gates of Hell disclosed.

Christ is its grand subject, our good its design, and the glory of God its end. It should fill the memory, rule the heart and guide the feet. Read it slowly, frequently and prayerfully.  It is a mine of wealth, a paradise of glory, and a river of pleasure.

It is given you in life, will be opened at the judgment, and be remembered forever. It involves the highest responsibility, rewards the greatest labor, and will condemn all who trifle with its sacred contents.

From The Inside Of My Gideon New Testament

Hi FresnoJoe,

That`s great that you have written out the scriptures. Thank you. It will so help us as we work through the 7 parables & see what Jesus was saying to the people of Israel.

God bless you,

Marilyn.

Parable 1. The Sower & the Seed.

Here we read that Jesus was telling the people of Israel what sort of heart they needed to receive God`s word of the kingdom – the rule of God through Israel. Jesus used the illustration of different types of conditions – stony, sun scorched, thorns, no root, birds eating the seed etc. These show that preparation is needed for the truth of God`s promise to Israel, to be received.

Jesus had previously explained that it was not just obeying the law, outwardly but that the people of Israel needed to have the right heart motivation. That is why Jesus said –

“For I say to you, that unless your righteousness exceeds the righteousness of the scribes & Pharisees, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven.` (Matt. 5: 20)

King David knew this & said –

`Who may ascend the hill of the Lord? Or who may stand in His holy place?

He who has clean hands & a pure heart,

Who has not lifted up his soul to an idol, nor sworn deceitfully.

He shall receive blessing from the Lord, & righteousness from the God of his salvation.` (Ps. 24: 3 – 5)

Jesus quotes Isaiah`s prophecy to explain the situation. (Matt. 13: 14 – 17 & Isa. 6: 9)

`...the heart of this people has grown dull....` (Matt. 13: 15)

Only the people of Israel who had humble hearts, who obeyed God`s law outwardly & from the heart, only those people would understand & receive the message that the God of heaven would set up His rule through Israel over the nations, in the future. When they believed that it was accounted to them a right standing with God – righteousness.

Marilyn.

Parable 2.The Fruit of this Faith (in what God promised Israel) was obedience resulting in righteousness.

Here we read that Jesus is reminding the people of Israel that the result of believing in what God promised to Israel, would result in them being righteous, sons of God allowed to enter the rulership of God through Israel.

Jesus also told them that those who did not believe, although looked like the sons, would eventually be weeded out. (note – tares look like wheat but do not produce fruit. eg the Pharisees looked like they believed in God & looked like they obeyed Him, when in actual fact their heart motivation was for honour & prestige. (Matt. 23: 1 – 7)

Jesus refers to the prophetic word of Daniel concerning Israel`s endtime `harvest.`

`Let them both grow together until the harvest, & at the time of harvest I will say to the reapers, “First gather together the tares & bind them in bundles to burn them, but gather the wheat into my barn.”` (Matt. 13: 30)

`And many of those who sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, some to everlasting life, some to shame & everlasting contempt.` (Dan. 12: 2)   

This is concerning the people of Israel, those who believed God`s promise that He would set up His rulership through them, they go into the kingdom, rulership, while those who did not believe, will be cast into the `fire.`

The first two parables thus show us that the foundations of God`s rulership through Israel, in the New Jerusalem (stars) & on earth, (sand) is of God`s character – righteous. As this is pre-cross then their righteousness is based on believing God for His rulership through Israel & obedience of the law from the heart.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.37
  • Days Won:  20

On 9/17/2016 at 6:32 PM, Marilyn C said:

The kingdom of heaven is the rulership of God through Israel from the New Jerusalem, in the heavenlies & over the earth.

This is incorrect. The Kingdom of Heaven (also called the Kingdom of God) is the rule of God and Christ over this earth.  But the parables of the Kingdom reveal Christendom [both genuine Christians (the true Church) and false professors (the false Church)] as seen in Christianity today. 

Thus we have good soil and bad soil, tares and wheat, good fish and bad fish, the birds of the air, etc. to indicate the true children of the Kingdom vs the false. Also the parable of the leaven (always a metaphor for corruption) indicates how false doctrine has crept into the churches and now false Christianity predominates true Bible Christianity.

At present "the Kingdom of God is within you" because Christ has not literally established His rule over this earth. After the Second Coming, the Kingdom of God will prevail over the whole earth, and all that defiles will be cast out.

While the parables were addressed to the Jews (and primarily to the unbelieving Jews), they have universal application, and their meaning was disclosed only to the disciples.

Hi Ezra,

I`m so glad you have entered the discussion. Those points you have brought up are very important for us to look at. Many people have been told what you have written, however I was taught differently. I will address a few points at a time.

1. Is the kingdom of heaven the same as the kingdom of God?

You say they are the same, while I say they are not. Here are my reasons.

The kingdom of God is every realm – the third heaven, the universal heaven & atmospheric heaven around the earth. Three realms. (1 Cor. 15: 24 – 28)

The kingdom of heaven – is the heavenlies (universe & atmospheric heavens). In all related passages it is in the plural, literally meaning the kingdom of the heavenlies. It is from heaven, under heaven & over the earth. (Heb. 11: 16   Rev. 21: 20

2. Do the parables reveal Christendom?

You say yes, while I say they do not. Here are my reasons.

The requirement to enter the rulership of God from the heavenlies, is to have a righteousness based upon obeying the Law.

“For I say to you, that unless your righteousness exceeds the righteousness of the scribes & Pharisees, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven(lies).` (Matt. 5: 20)

The requirement of believers in the Body of Christ to have redemption is through Christ`s blood.

`He has delivered us from the power of darkness & translated us into the kingdom of the Son of His love in whom we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins.` (Col. 1: 13 & 14)

The Son`s kingdom rule, seat of power is in the third heaven from whence all other rulerships receive their authority & power.

I will give my thoughts on your other comments soon.

Edited by Marilyn C