IGNORED

The Kingdom Of Heaven Parables in Matthew 13.

Marilyn C

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  266
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  13,184
  • Content Per Day:  3.50
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  10/06/1947

3realms.jpg

Hi Ezra,

As regards the `tares & wheat,` we see that Jesus told the people of Israel that the sorting out would be ` at the time of harvest.` (Matt. 13: 30) That certainly is not at the rapture is it bro! That is the great white throne.

Then as to `all that defiles will be cast out` in the millennium, (as you said) we know from scripture that is not so. Remember –

- Those who do not go up to Jerusalem to celebrate the feast of Tabernacles will have no rain in their country. (Zech. 14: 16 – 16)

- People will still die. (Isa. 65: 20)

- Rebellion by Satan & rebellious of the world. (Rev. 20: 7 – 10)

- Death is the final enemy. (1 Cor. 15: 26)

Also after Christ`s second coming to the earth to deliver Israel & judge the nations, it is NOT the time of the New Jerusalem coming down out of heaven. We know from scripture, that is later, at the end of the millennium. And that is exactly what scripture says –

`Then comes the end, when he delivers the kingdom to God the Father, when He puts an end to all rule & all authority & power. For He must reign till He has put all enemies under His feet. The last enemy that will be destroyed is death.` (1 Cor. 15: 24 – 26)

I think you know all that Ezra.

Hi Ezra,

Now to the parable of the `leaven.` You said -

Also the parable of the leaven (always a metaphor for corruption) indicates how false doctrine has crept into the churches and now false Christianity predominates true Bible Christianity.

Here are my thoughts -

Parable 4. The Leaven.

`Another parable he spoke to them: “The kingdom of heaven is like leaven, which a woman took & hid in three measures of meal till it was all leavened.` (Matt. 13: 33)

Jesus reminds Israel of the promise to Abraham & Sarah.

`Then the Lord appeared to him (Abraham) by the terebinth trees of Mamre, as he was sitting in the tent door in the heat of the day. So he lifted his eyes & looked, & behold, three men were standing by him; & when he saw them, he ran from the tent door to meet them, & bowed himself to the ground, & said,

“My Lord, if I have now found favour in your sight, do not pass on by your servant. Please let a little water be brought, & wash your feet, & rest yourselves under the tree. And I will bring a morsel of bread, that you may refresh your hearts. After that you may pass by, inasmuch as you have come to your servant.”

And they said,”Do as you have said.” So Abraham hastened into the tent to Sarah & said, “Quickly, make ready three measures of fine meal; knead it & make (bread) cakes.”

....(the Lord said) “I will certainly return to you according to the time of life, & behold, Sarah your wife shall have a son.” (Gen. 18: 1 – 10)

So here we see it is the time when the Lord came to Abraham to tell him that he would have a son. The occasion was marked by the 3 bread cakes Sarah made for the 3 visitors. The leaven went into the bread cakes & eventually permeated the whole bead cakes. Similarly God told Abraham that –

`...in you all the families of the earth shall be blessed.` (Gen. 12: 3)

Although the nations of Israel started off small it would one day be a universal blessing to all nations. The Lord said to Abraham -

`...in blessing I will bless you & in multiplying I will multiply your descendants as the stars of the heaven & as the sand on the sea-shore; & your descendants shall posses the gate of their enemies.

In your seed all the nations of the earth shall be blessed...` (Gen. 22: 17 & 18)

The stars, symbolises a prominent place in the heavens, (but not the predominant place) & the sand of the sea- shore symbolises the predominant ruling position on earth.

This parable shows distinctly that it is God who is the designer of the rulership of the heavenlies. He told Abraham about it & also miraculously started it through an elderly couple – Abraham & Sarah.

`Abraham....waited for the city which has foundations, whose builder & maker (designer) is God.` (Heb. 11: 10)

Marilyn.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.36
  • Days Won:  20

1 hour ago, Marilyn C said:

You say they are the same, while I say they are not.

Marilyn:

All one has to do is compare Matthew 13 with Mark 4 and Luke 8 to confirm that the Kingdom of Heaven and the Kingdom of God are interchangeable terms.

He answered and said unto them, Because it is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it is not given. (Mt 13:11)

And he said unto them, Unto you it is given to know the mystery of the kingdom of God: but unto them that are without, all these things are done in parables: (Mk 4:11)

And he said, Unto you it is given to know the mysteries of the kingdom of God: but to others in parables; that seeing they might not see, and hearing they might not understand. (Lk 8:10).

Once you have acknowledged that you are on the wrong track here, we might go further. Perhaps you might want to revise your entire take on these parables.

Hi Ezra,

I am so glad you pointed that out. It is a very important point that needs clarification -  Is the term `Kingdom of Heaven,` & `Kingdom of God,` interchangeable? (Matthew 13, Mark 4 & Luke 8) I believe they are not interchangeable.

Now when we look at scripture I believe we need to think about the bigger context & God`s purposes. Thus we see that God has set forth a four-fold presentation of His Son, the Lord Jesus Christ in the four books, Matthew, Mark, Luke & John.

Matthew – This presentation of the Lord reveals Him as Israel`s King – His lineage, son of David, son of Abraham; His great teachings on God`s promises to Israel of their rulership in the kingdom of heaven. The rulership of Israel over the nations from the heavenlies. That term Kingdom of heaven, (the heavenlies) is specifically for Israel.

Mark – This presentation of the Lord reveals Him as Heir. His heirship entitles Him to the revenue from the crown lands & he came to collect it. The Leaders said, “This is the heir; come, let us kill Him.”` (Mark 12: 7)

The style of writing is suited to make an appeal to the Roman mind, with its capacity for action & administration. The Roman mind was trained to regard brevity, authority & forcefulness as qualities to be admired & aimed for. Christ is therefore reported in the strenuousness of His service, prompt in obedience, & efficient in His work.  

The phrase `the kingdom of God,` is used to describe the Roman relationship to God. They were rulers in Christ`s time but they will not be the rulers of the rulership of the heavenlies. They can be citizens, however of God`s great kingdom.

Note there is no mention in Mark of the parables 3 – 7 of Matthew. This is because those parables are specifically reminding Israel of God`s promise to them as rulers.

Luke – This presentation of the Lord reveals Him as the Son of Man in His Mediatorship. Luke describes His universal regard; `all` is used over a hundred & fifty times in the message. He had regard for everybody – the handmaiden, the poor, the leper, the destitute, the blind, the deaf etc, etc. He was touched with the feelings of our infirmities. To demonstrate that He is touched, he touches the man full of leprosy, he touched the bier of the dead young man, He touched the ear of the servant of the high priest, etc etc

His title `Son of Man,` so familiar in Luke, is intended to extend our vision to the uttermost bounds of the universe for it includes the lesser titles `Son of Abraham,` `Son of David,` `King of Israel,` etc.

The term the `kingdom of God` is used as `all` are included in that kingdom which is over all.

Note there is no mention in Luke of the parables 3 – 7 of Matthew. This is because those parables are specifically reminding Israel of God`s promise to them as rulers.

Summing up I believe the term `the kingdom of heaven(lies),` is used solely in respect to God`s promises to Israel that they would be the rulers over the nations.

The term `kingdom of God,` is all inclusive of –

1. The kingdoms of this world. (Matt. 4: 8    Rev. 11: 15)

2. The kingdom of heaven(lies). (Matt. 3: 2 & numerous)

3. The kingdom of the Lord Jesus Christ. (seat of power) (Eph 5: 5   Col. 1: 13 & others)

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.36
  • Days Won:  20

8 hours ago, Marilyn C said:

I believe they are not interchangeable.

Well since you are prepared to bend Scripture to fit your preconceptions, I will say "Adios".

Hi Ezra,

Till next time, bro. Thank you for the discussion.

regards, Marilyn.

• Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  6,571
  • Content Per Day:  1.07
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  10/28/1957

On September 17, 2016 at 8:32 PM, Marilyn C said:

In the Matthew 13 parables, I believe that the Lord Jesus Christ was reminding the people of Israel of God`s promises to them as a nation. He quoted the prophets to stir up the people to remembrance.

God had told Daniel that the Gentile rulership would come to an end & then –

`the God of heaven will set up a kingdom which shall never be destroyed;...` (Dan. 2: 44)

GOD`S PROMISES TO ISRAEL.

Parable 1. The Sower & the Seed – receiving the word of the kingdom.

God`s promise - A humble heart receives righteousness from God.  (Ps. 24: 4 & 5)

Jesus quotes Isaiah`s prophecy to explain the situation. (Matt. 13: 14 – 17 & Isa. 6: 9)

Parable 2. The Fruit of this Faith (in what God promised Israel) was obedience resulting in righteousness.

God`s promise - Only the righteous may enter, while the unrighteous are judged & condemned. (Ps. 24: 3 & 4   Dan. 12: 2) 

Jesus quotes Daniel`s prophecy. (Matt. 13: 41 – 43    Dan. 12: 2 & 3)

Parable 3. The Mustard seed. Israel the foremost rule over all the nations.

God`s promise - He would exalt Israel to be the ruling nation in the kingdom. (Gen. 12: 1 – 3    Isa. 2: 1- 3)

There would be two aspects to the kingdom: heavenly & Earthly.

Israel would reign:

`as stars` - prominent position in the heavens &

`as sand,` - predominant position on the earth. (Gen. 15: 5    13: 16     22: 17)

& inherit the land of Canaan. (Gen. 12: 7    13: 15     15: 18 – 21   17: 8)

Jesus quotes Ezekiel`s prophecy. (Matt. 13: 32    Ez. 17: 22 – 24)

Parable 4. The Leaven.

God`s promise -  Israel would be a universal blessing to all the nations.  (Gen. 12: 3   22: 18)

Jesus reminds Israel of the promise to Abraham & Sarah. (Matt. 13: 33    Gen. 18: 6 – 14)

Parable 5. The Hidden Treasure. Israel is to be a holy nation that has access to God & the nations. They are to be a kingdom of priests.

God`s promise – Israel would rule as a kingdom of Holy Priests forever.

Jesus reminds Israel that they are the `special treasure.` (Matt. 13: 44    Ex. 19: 5 & 6)

Parable 6. The Pearl of Great Price. Israel is to be ruled by the wisest king.

God`s promise  - King David`s throne would be established with his greater Son ruling forever. (Gen. 12: 3    17: 6, 16     2 Sam. 7: 13     Matt. 22: 42 – 45)

Jesus reminds Israel of God`s promise. Note -`wisdom is above that of pearls.` (Job 28: 18 NAS)

(Ref. Matt. 13: 45 & 46    Prov. 8: 12 & 15     1 Kings 10: 23    Matt. 12: 42    Jer. 23: 5 & 6)

Parable 7. The Dragnet. The wicked & the righteous sorted out.

God`s promise – After judgment, there would be a new heavens & a new earth, in which the righteous kingdom would be established. (Isa. 66: 16 & 22)

Jesus reminds Israel again of the prophecy of Daniel. (Matt. 13: 49 & 50    Dan. 12: 2 & 3)

SUMMARY

The kingdom of heaven is the rulership of God through Israel from the New Jerusalem, in the heavenlies & over the earth.

What are your thoughts?

Marilyn.

Shalom, Marilyn.

These are parables about the KINGDOM. Since the Kingdom of God or the Kingdom of Heaven (the two terms are synonymous), then we must look to see what that Kingdom is, first.

The Kingdom is NOT a "heavenly kingdom," not even in ONE "aspect!" The term "Kingdom of heaven" means a "kingdom that comes from the sky!" It's because the "KING HIMSELF comes from the sky" when He returns, and the Kingdom is intimately connected to the King! His offer of the Kingdom to Israel during His first advent was a LEGITIMATE OFFER! And, when He left this earth, He took the offer with Him! The offer was temporarily rescinded until a future time.

When He returns, He will bring the Kingdom with Him!

Luke 19:11-15
11 And as they heard these things, he added and spake a parable, because he was nigh to Jerusalem, and because they thought that the kingdom of God should immediately appear.
12 He said therefore,
A certain nobleman went into a far country to receive for himself a kingdom, and to return.
13 And he called his ten servants, and delivered them ten pounds, and said unto them, Occupy till I come.
14 But his citizens hated him, and sent a message after him, saying, We will not have this man to reign over us.
15 And it came to pass, that when he was returned, having received the kingdom, then he commanded these servants to be called unto him, to whom he had given the money, that he might know how much every man had gained by trading.

KJV

The key to the parables of Matthew 13 is in the ELEMENTS that are defined and the ACTIONS that the parable performs with those elements. Here are some of the parables' elements and actions:

I. THE SOWER (verses 3-9, 18-23)

Matthew 13:3
3 And he spake many things unto them in parables, saying,
Behold, a sower went forth to sow;
KJV

I.A. Elements of the parable
I.A.1. Seed = the word of the kingdom
I.A.2. Birds = the wicked one
I.A.3. Stony places = starts off good but is easily turned off
I.A.4. Thorns = hears the word but is easily distracted by everyday events
I.A.5. Good soil = hears, profits by it, and is profitable
I.B. Action of the parable
I.B.1. Seed is sown = the word of the kingdom is broadcast
I.B.2. Ground receives seed = message is heard
I.B.3. Seed sprouts and grows = message is applied

II. THE MAN WHO SOWED GOOD WHEAT (verses 24-30, 37-43)

Matthew 13:24
24 Another parable put he forth unto them, saying,
The kingdom of heaven is likened unto a man which sowed good seed in his field:
KJV

II.A. Elements of the parable
II.A.1. Sower = Son of man
II.A.2. Field = the world
II.A.3. Good seed = children of the kingdom
II.A.4. Tares = children of the wicked one
II.A.5. Enemy = the devil
II.A.6. Harvest = the end of the world
II.A.7. Reapers = the angels
II.A.8. Barn = the kingdom of their Father
II.B. Action of the parable
II.B.1. Sower sows good seed in his field = The Son of man sows the children of the kingdom in the world
II.B.2. Enemy sows tares among the wheat = The devil sows children of the wicked one among the children of the kingdom
II.B.3. The reapers notice the tares among the wheat = The angels notice the children of the wicked one among the children of the kingdom
II.B.4. The reapers ask the sower if they want them to pull up the tares = The angels ask the Son of man if He wants them to pull up the children of the wicked one
II.B.5. The sower replied to the reapers, “No or you may pull up the wheat with the tares; let both grow together until the harvest, and in the harvest I will say to the reapers, ‘First gather together the tares and tie them in bundles to burn them, but gather the wheat into my barn.’” = The Son of man replied to the angels, “No or you may pull up the children of the kingdom with the children of the wicked one; let both grow together until the end of the world, and in the end of the world I will say to the angels, ‘First gather together the children of the wicked one and tie them in bundles to burn them, but gather the children of the kingdom into my barn (a place of safety and preservation).’” They shall throw them in a furnace of fire; there shall be wailing and grating of teeth, but then shall the righteous shine forth as the sun in the kingdom of their Father.

III. THE KERNEL OF MUSTARD SEED (verses 31-32)

Matthew 13:31
31 Another parable put he forth unto them, saying,
The kingdom of heaven is like to a grain of mustard seed, which a man took, and sowed in his field:
KJV

III.A. Elements of the parable
III.A.1. A grain (kernel) of mustard seed = The kingdom of heaven
III.A.2. Other herbs = unknown; irrelevant
III.A.3. Birds of the air = unknown; irrelevant
III.B. Action of the parable
III.B.1. The kernel starts out small and insignificant = The kingdom of heaven starts out small and insignificant
III.B.2. The kernel becomes the largest of herbs and becomes a tree = The kingdom of heaven becomes the largest and most significant of governments
III.B.3. So much so that it provides nesting spots among its branches for the birds of the air = The kingdom of heaven provides safe dwelling places among its branches

IV. THE LEAVEN (verse 33)

Matthew 13:33
33 Another parable spake he unto them;
The kingdom of heaven is like unto leaven, which a woman took, and hid in three measures of meal, till the whole was leavened.
KJV

IV.A. Elements of the parable
IV.A.1. The leaven (yeast; baking powder; substance to encourage bread to rise) = The kingdom of heaven [NOTE: The leaven is NOT sin!]
IV.A.2. Woman = unknown; irrelevant
IV.A.3. Three measures of meal (flour) = unknown; irrelevant
IV.B. Action of the parable
IV.B.1. Leaven is hidden in three measures of meal (flour) = The kingdom of heaven starts out hidden, insignificant, and in low concentration
IV.B.2. Leaven soon permeates the whole amount of flour = The kingdom of heaven ends up obvious, very significant, and in high concentration

V. THE BURIED TREASURE (verse 44)

Matthew 13:44
44 Again, the kingdom of heaven is like unto treasure hid in a field; the which when a man hath found, he hideth, and for joy thereof goeth and selleth all that he hath, and buyeth that field.
KJV

V.A. Elements of the parable
V.A.1. The buried treasure = The kingdom of heaven
V.A.2. The man = unknown; irrelevant; possibly anyone
V.A.3. The field = unknown; irrelevant
V.B. Action of the parable
V.B.1. Treasure is found = The kingdom of heaven is discovered
V.B.2. Treasure is re-hidden = The kingdom of heaven is re-hidden from others
V.B.3. Field is bought (with all of its natural resources and contents) = That which contains the kingdom of heaven is purchased
V.B.4. Treasure is claimed = The kingdom of heaven is claimed

VI. THE MERCHANT MAN (verses 45-46)

Matthew 13:45
45 Again, the kingdom of heaven is like unto a merchant man, seeking goodly pearls:
KJV

VI.A. Elements of the parable
VI.A.1. The merchant man looking for valuable pearls = The kingdom of heaven [NOTE: The pearl of great price ¹ The kingdom of heaven]
VI.A.2. Pearls (even the pearl of great price) = unknown; irrelevant
VI.A.3. All that the merchant has = unknown; irrelevant
VI.B. Action of the parable
VI.B.1. Merchant searches for valuable pearls = The kingdom of heaven searches for valuables
VI.B.2. Merchant finds a high-quality, very valuable pearl = The kingdom of heaven finds a high-quality valuable
VI.B.3. Merchant sells all that he has = The kingdom of heaven sells all that it has
VI.B.4. Merchant buys the pearl = The kingdom of heaven buys the high-quality valuable (makes wise investments and turns a profit)

VII. THE SEINING NET (verses 47-50)

Matthew 13:47
47 Again, the kingdom of heaven is like unto a net, that was cast into the sea, and gathered of every kind:
KJV

VII.A. Elements of the parable
VII.A.1. The seining net = The kingdom of heaven
VII.A.2. The good fish (good to eat) = The just (justified)
VII.A.3. The bad fish (not good to eat) = The wicked
VII.A.4. The fishermen = The angels
VII.B. Action of the parable
VII.B.1. Net was thrown into the sea around all the fish = The kingdom of heaven was thrown around all peoples within the kingdom’s time period
VII.B.2. When the net was full, the fishermen pulled it in = At the end of the world, the angels will gather all people in the kingdom for judgment
VII.B.3. The fishermen sat down and gathered the good fish into buckets to keep, but threw the bad fish away = The angels will come and separate the wicked from the just and shall throw the wicked into the furnace of fire; there shall be wailing and grating of teeth

VIII. THE HEAD OF THE FAMILY (verse 52)

Matthew 13:52
52 Then said he unto them,
Therefore every scribe which is instructed unto the kingdom of heaven is like unto a man that is an householder, which bringeth forth out of his treasure things new and old.
KJV

VIII.A. Elements of the parable
VIII.A.1. The man who is the head of a family = The scribe who is instructed unto the kingdom of heaven
VIII.A.2. The treasure = unknown; irrelevant
VIII.A.3. Things new = unknown; irrelevant
VIII.A.4. Things old = unknown; irrelevant
VIII.B. Action of the parable
VIII.B.1. Investigating the treasure of the household = Investigating the “treasure” of the kingdom of heaven
VIII.B.2. Discovers things new in the treasure = Discovers things new in the “treasure” of the kingdom of heaven
VIII.B.3. Discovers things old in the treasure = Discovers things old in the “treasure” of the kingdom of heaven

Hi Retrobyter,

Thank you for your thoughts. You know I think differently & as we`ve discussed the `heaven` topic before I will not here.

regards, Marilyn.

Parable 3. The Mustard seed. Israel the foremost rule over all the nations.

`Another parable He put forth to them, saying: “The kingdom of heaven is like a mustard seed, which a man took & sowed in his field, which indeed is the least of all the seed; but when it is grown it is greater than the herbs & becomes a tree, so that the birds of the air come & nest in its branches.”` (Matt. 13: 31 & 32)

Here Jesus is quoting Ezekiel`s prophecy, reminding the people of Israel of God`s promises to them. Specifically here, that Israel would be the ruling nation over the other nations of the world. Although they had `small` beginnings, God would exalt them above all the nations.

`Thus says the Lord God: “I will take also one of the highest branches of the high cedar & set it out. I will crop off the topmost of its young twigs a tender one, & will plant it on a high & prominent mountain. On the mountain height of Israel I will plant it; & it will bring forth boughs, & bear fruit, & be a majestic cedar. Under it will dwell birds of every sort; in the shadow of its branches they will dwell.

And all the trees of the field shall know that I, the Lord, have brought down the high tree & exalted the low tree, dried up the green tree & made the dry tree flourish; I, the Lord, have spoken & have done it.` (Ez. 17: 22 – 24)

The prophet Isaiah, by the Holy Spirit told Israel of their future rulership.

`Now it shall come to pass in the latter days that the mountain of the Lord`s house shall be established on the top of the mountains, & be exalted above the hills; & all nations shall flow to it.` (Isa. 2: 2)

There would be two aspects to the kingdom: heavenly & Earthly.

Israel would reign:

`as stars` - prominent position in the heavens &

`as sand,` - predominant position on the earth. (Gen. 15: 5    13: 16     22: 17)

& inherit the land of Canaan. (Gen. 12: 7    13: 15     15: 18 – 21   17: 8)