IGNORED

The Kingdom Of Heaven Parables in Matthew 13.

Marilyn C

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  266
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  13,180
  • Content Per Day:  3.50
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  10/06/1947

Here is a summary of what I think of the kingdom of heaven parables (of Matt. 13) so far.

GOD`S CHARACTER – Righteous Father.

1. God`s word of Righteousness. (The Seed)

2. God`s Fruit of Righteous Sons. (The Wheat & Tares)

GOD`S ORIGIN – Planned & Fulfilled.

3. God`s Divine Planning. (The Mustard Seed)

4. God`s Divine Fulfilment. (The Leaven)

The last 3 parables, I believe concern –

GOD`S AUTHORITY –  A King & Priests.

5. God`s Holy Priesthood. (The Hidden Treasure)

6. God`s Anointed King. (The Pearl of Great price)

7. God`s Righteous Judgments. (The Net)

• Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  6,570
  • Content Per Day:  1.07
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  10/28/1957

29 minutes ago, Marilyn C said:

Hi Retrobyter,

Thank you for your thoughts. You know I think differently & as we`ve discussed the `heaven` topic before I will not here.

regards, Marilyn.

Shalom, Marilyn.

That's fine. However, you should know that this has more to do with the Jewishness of the Gospels than with the topic of "heaven." This Kingdom which was compared with all these things in the parables is the Kingdom that Yeshua` will reign over WHEN HE RETURNS!

Matthew 25:31-34
31 When the Son of man shall come in his glory, and all the holy angels with him, THEN shall he sit upon the throne of his glory:
32 And before him shall be gathered all nations: and he shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divideth his sheep from the goats:
33 And he shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left.
34 THEN shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:
KJV

Those are YESHUA`S words! I'd say that HE would know, wouldn't you?

So, why not listen to Him?

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  216
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  0

On 9/22/2016 at 7:52 PM, Marilyn C said:

“For I say to you, that unless your righteousness exceeds the righteousness of the scribes & Pharisees, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven(lies).` (Matt. 5: 20)

It would seem we disagree on what this verse is saying. Jesus is showing the need for a savior here, basically saying it is not possible to keep enough law to save ourselves. In hindsight we tend to look back and scoff at the Pharisees because for all their knowledge they did not recognize their savior, but they were considered righteous in their time.

Great  topic though and I thank you for it.

4 hours ago, Retrobyter said:

Shalom, Marilyn.

That's fine. However, you should know that this has more to do with the Jewishness of the Gospels than with the topic of "heaven." This Kingdom which was compared with all these things in the parables is the Kingdom that Yeshua` will reign over WHEN HE RETURNS!

Matthew 25:31-34
31 When the Son of man shall come in his glory, and all the holy angels with him, THEN shall he sit upon the throne of his glory:
32 And before him shall be gathered all nations: and he shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divideth his sheep from the goats:
33 And he shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left.
34 THEN shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:
KJV

Those are YESHUA`S words! I'd say that HE would know, wouldn't you?

So, why not listen to Him?

Hi Retrobyter,

Good that you have brought up these other parables concerning `the kingdom of heaven.` Those parables show the `timing` (as you said - when He returns) for the rulership of God through Israel on earth in the Millennium. And as we know that it will be later when there is the New Heavens & New Earth, that the `city` will come down & some in Israel will be the rulership of the heavenlies there, over the earth.   

It would be good to look at those parables in detail but I wont here as this thread is just on the Matthew 13 parables.

regards, Marilyn.

2 hours ago, Flsnookman said:

It would seem we disagree on what this verse is saying. Jesus is showing the need for a savior here, basically saying it is not possible to keep enough law to save ourselves. In hindsight we tend to look back and scoff at the Pharisees because for all their knowledge they did not recognize their savior, but they were considered righteous in their time.

Great  topic though and I thank you for it.

Hi Flsnoolman,

What a fish! My hubby & I have caught big barramundi & mackerel but never that big. What is it?  Just asked my father-law how big was his catch - he caught a Murray Cod (years ago - have to throw them back now as they are breeders) & it was 72 pounds. Whew!  

Now concerning what you say, I can understand looking from our post cross perspective, however let`s look at bit closer from Israel`s perspective.

The Pharisees & Scribes were considered righteous by the people BUT NOT by Jesus.

`Then Jesus spoke to the multitudes & to His disciples, saying: "The scribes & the Pharisees sit in Moses` seat, " therefore whatever they tell you to do observe, that observe & do, BUT DO NOT do according to their works, for they say, & do not do.".

Woe to you, scribes & Pharisees, hypocrites! ....(8 times)

Serpents, brood of vipers! How can you escape the condemnation of hell!" (Matt. 23)

I think that is pretty clear, ay, what Jesus thought of them - outwardly obeying the laws but inwardly `full of dead men`s bones & all uncleanness.` (v. 27)   

So the righteousness that exceeds the righteousness of the scribes & Pharisees, is for the people of Israel to do the works with the right heart motivation. If they didn`t keep some part of the law they could make a sacrifice of a bird or animal etc with a humble heart. 

For I say to you, that unless your righteousness exceeds the righteousness of the scribes & Pharisees, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven(lies).` (Matt. 5: 20)

Thanks for the encouragement about the thread. Marilyn.

2 minutes ago, Marilyn C said:

Hi Retrobyter,

Good that you have brought up these other parables concerning `the kingdom of heaven.` Those parables show the `timing` (as you said - when He returns) for the rulership of God through Israel on earth in the Millennium. And as we know that it will be later when there is the New Heavens & New Earth, that the `city` will come down & some in Israel will be the rulership of the heavenlies there, over the earth.   

It would be good to look at those parables in detail but I wont here as this thread is just on the Matthew 13 parables.

regards, Marilyn.

Shabbat shalom, Marilyn.

But, don't you see? The Matthew 13 parables ARE about this "rulership of God through Israel on earth in the Millennium" (and BEYOND)! Don't think that these parables are about or for today! They are not about the "church" or about "heaven"; they are about His COMING Kingdom! The ONLY one of the parables that might be about this current time period would be the FIRST parable, the parable about the Sower, but then the MESSAGE that is sown by the Sower is "the good news about the Kingdom," not some nebulous, general, Christian message! That good news is what was heralded by "John the Baptist" and then by Yeshua` IMMEDIATELY at the beginning of His offer of the Kingdom!

That good news was COMMON and ALREADY KNOWN by the Jews! It wasn't something that John or Yeshua` had to teach!

Mark 1:14-15
14 Now after that John was put in prison, Jesus came into Galilee, preaching the gospel of the kingdom of God,
15 And saying,
The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand: repent ye, and believe the gospel.
KJV

"REPENT" (change your mind 180 degrees) and "BELIEVE" what you already know! (And, "at hand" means "within your grasp," NOT already "IN hand," btw.) Thus, it was already heard and known in a general way, like some people "know" fairy tales, not really believing that they could be a part of one. It's like Martha was saying to Yeshua` about the resurrection:

John 11:21-27
21 Then said Martha unto Jesus, Lord, if thou hadst been here, my brother had not died.
22 But I know, that even now, whatsoever thou wilt ask of God, God will give it thee.
23 Jesus saith unto her, Thy brother shall rise again.
24 Martha saith unto him, I know that he shall rise again in the resurrection at the last day. (HEAD knowledge!)
25 Jesus said unto her,
I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth IN ME, though he were dead, yet shall he live:
26 And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. Believest thou this?

27 She saith unto him, Yea, Lord: I believe that thou art the Christ (the MESSIAH), the Son of God, which should come into the world.
KJV

The rest of the Jews and children of Israel, like Martha, had to be shaken out of their "pie in the sky by and by" mode!

So, what was this "gospel of the kingdom of God?" Well, the word "gospel" is only found in the English versions of the NEW Testament, not the OLD, and yet, the children of Israel only knew the OT or the Tanakh [Torah + Navi'iym (Prophets) + Ketuviym (Writings)]. So, the best way for us to investigate this is to use passages of Scripture that use the word "gospel" in the NT that QUOTE the OT. Here's one:

Romans 10:15
15 And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things!
KJV

So, we just need to look up the OT passage that is being quoted to see what was translated as "gospel" in the NT. To cut to the chase, this passage was quoted (by Paul) from Isaiah 52:7.

Isaiah 52:7
7 How beautiful upon the mountains are the feet of him that bringeth good tidings, that publisheth peace; that bringeth good tidings of good, that publisheth salvation (deliverance or rescue); that saith unto Zion, THY GOD REIGNETH!
KJV

THIS is what the childen of Israel knew about the "good news about the Kingdom."

35 minutes ago, Retrobyter said:

Shabbat shalom, Marilyn.

But, don't you see? The Matthew 13 parables ARE about this "rulership of God through Israel on earth in the Millennium" (and BEYOND)! Don't think that these parables are about or for today! They are not about the "church" or about "heaven"; they are about His COMING Kingdom! The ONLY one of the parables that might be about this current time period would be the FIRST parable, the parable about the Sower, but then the MESSAGE that is sown by the Sower is "the good news about the Kingdom," not some nebulous, general, Christian message! That good news is what was heralded by "John the Baptist" and then by Yeshua` IMMEDIATELY at the beginning of His offer of the Kingdom!

That good news was COMMON and ALREADY KNOWN by the Jews! It wasn't something that John or Yeshua` had to teach!

Mark 1:14-15
14 Now after that John was put in prison, Jesus came into Galilee, preaching the gospel of the kingdom of God,
15 And saying,
The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand: repent ye, and believe the gospel.
KJV

"REPENT" (change your mind 180 degrees) and "BELIEVE" what you already know! (And, "at hand" means "within your grasp," NOT already "IN hand," btw.) Thus, it was already heard and known in a general way, like some people "know" fairy tales, not really believing that they could be a part of one. It's like Martha was saying to Yeshua` about the resurrection:

John 11:21-27
21 Then said Martha unto Jesus, Lord, if thou hadst been here, my brother had not died.
22 But I know, that even now, whatsoever thou wilt ask of God, God will give it thee.
23 Jesus saith unto her, Thy brother shall rise again.
24 Martha saith unto him, I know that he shall rise again in the resurrection at the last day. (HEAD knowledge!)
25 Jesus said unto her,
I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth IN ME, though he were dead, yet shall he live:
26 And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. Believest thou this?

27 She saith unto him, Yea, Lord: I believe that thou art the Christ (the MESSIAH), the Son of God, which should come into the world.
KJV

The rest of the Jews and children of Israel, like Martha, had to be shaken out of their "pie in the sky by and by" mode!

So, what was this "gospel of the kingdom of God?" Well, the word "gospel" is only found in the English versions of the NEW Testament, not the OLD, and yet, the children of Israel only knew the OT or the Tanakh [Torah + Navi'iym (Prophets) + Ketuviym (Writings)]. So, the best way for us to investigate this is to use passages of Scripture that use the word "gospel" in the NT that QUOTE the OT. Here's one:

Romans 10:15
15 And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things!
KJV

So, we just need to look up the OT passage that is being quoted to see what was translated as "gospel" in the NT. To cut to the chase, this passage was quoted (by Paul) from Isaiah 52:7.

Isaiah 52:7
7 How beautiful upon the mountains are the feet of him that bringeth good tidings, that publisheth peace; that bringeth good tidings of good, that publisheth salvation (deliverance or rescue); that saith unto Zion, THY GOD REIGNETH!
KJV

THIS is what the childen of Israel knew about the "good news about the Kingdom."

Hi Retrobyter,

I agree with a lot of what you say - that it is to do with Israel & not the Body of Christ.

Now we need to remember that the rulership of God through Israel will be two-fold as promised -

- on earth, (in the Millennium & beyond)

- in the city, which comes down from God. (in the New Heavens & New Earth time)

Marilyn.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  216
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  0

Hi Marilyn C 

The fish in my avatar is called a snook, a common snook as there are 4 species here. Sadly big sugar thinks money is more important than silly fish or birds or people but that's a whole other story  http://riverscoalition.org/.  Snook are very heavily regulated now and to keep one it must be between 28" and 32". They are my favorite fish to eat and great fighters.  Also i'm Dave, nice to know ya!

6 hours ago, Marilyn C said:

So the righteousness that exceeds the righteousness of the scribes & Pharisees, is for the people of Israel to do the works with the right heart motivation. If they didn`t keep some part of the law they could make a sacrifice of a bird or animal etc with a humble heart. 

Self righteous works no matter how humbly performed can not save anyone. Only Jesus saves. We who are saved are made to be the righteousness of God through Christ. That said since Jesus is a jew and He was speaking these parables to a group consisting of mostly jews His message was for them. That was before the cross, since then we are told in a few places that there is now no difference between jew and gentile. 

6 hours ago, Marilyn C said:

Hi Retrobyter,

I agree with a lot of what you say - that it is to do with Israel & not the Body of Christ.

Now we need to remember that the rulership of God through Israel will be two-fold as promised -

- on earth, (in the Millennium & beyond)

- in the city, which comes down from God. (in the New Heavens & New Earth time)

Marilyn.

Shalom, Marilyn.

Good. Then, all we need is to merge the two into one. The "Body of Christ" is the "Body of the JEWISH Messiah." We become "Jews" in the sense that we have been "circumcised" in the heart, in the breath!

Romans 2:23-29
23 Thou that makest thy boast of the law, through breaking the law dishonourest thou God?
24 For the name of God is blasphemed among the Gentiles through you, as it is written.
25 For circumcision verily profiteth, if thou keep the law: but if thou be a breaker of the law, thy circumcision is made uncircumcision.
26 Therefore if the uncircumcision keep the righteousness of the law, shall not his uncircumcision be counted for circumcision?
27 And shall not uncircumcision which is by nature, if it fulfil the law, judge thee, who by the letter and circumcision dost transgress the law?
28 For he is not a Jew, which is one outwardly; neither is that circumcision, which is outward in the flesh:
29 But he is a Jew, which is one inwardly; and circumcision is that of the heart, in the spirit, and not in the letter; whose praise is not of men, but of God.
KJV

And, this leads me to...

Ephesians 2:1-22
1 And you (the Gentile Ephesians) hath he quickened, who were dead in trespasses and sins;
2 Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience:
3 Among whom also we all had our conversation (lifestyle) in times past in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind; and were by nature the children of wrath, even as others.
4 But God, who is rich in mercy, for his great love wherewith he loved us,
5 Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ (the Messiah), (by grace ye are saved;)
6 And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus (in the Messiah Yeshua`):
7 That in the ages to come he might shew the exceeding riches of his grace in his kindness toward us through Christ Jesus (the Messiah Yeshua`).
8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.
10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus (in the Messiah Yeshua`) unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.
11 Wherefore remember, that ye being in time past Gentiles in the flesh, who are called Uncircumcision by that which is called the Circumcision in the flesh made by hands;
12 That at that time ye were without Christ (outside the Messiah), being aliens from the commonwealth (citizenship) of Israel, and strangers from the covenants of promise, having no hope, and without God in the world:
13 But now in Christ Jesus (in the Messiah Yeshua`) ye who sometimes were far off are made nigh by the blood of Christ (the Messiah).
14 For he is our peace, who hath made both one, and hath broken down the middle wall of partition between us;
15 Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in ordinances; for to make in himself of twain one new man, so making peace;
16 And that he might reconcile both unto God in one body by the cross, having slain the enmity thereby:
17 And came and preached (announced good news of) peace to you which were afar off, and to them that were nigh.
18 For through him we both (children of Israel and Gentiles) have access by one Spirit unto the Father.
19 Now therefore ye (the Ephesian Gentiles) are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellowcitizens with the saints (the ones cleaned and set apart), and of the household (Greek: oikeioi = "those-of-His-own-house" = Hebrew: mishpachah = EXTENDED FAMILY) of God;
20 And are built upon the foundation (the bedrock) of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone (the capstone);
21 In whom all the building fitly framed together groweth unto an holy temple in the Lord:
22 In whom ye also are builded together for an habitation of God through the Spirit.
KJV

Thus, the goal is not to make Jews a part of the "Church" (as some think should happen); rather, the goal is to make Gentiles part of the COMMONWEALTH, the CITIZENSHIP, of Israel! The TWO ("TWAIN")  become ONE in the Jewish Messiah, Yeshua`!

And, just to clarify and answer a question before it is formed, John tells us:

1 John 3:19-24
19 And hereby we know that we are of the truth, and shall assure our hearts before him.
20 For if our heart condemn us, God is greater than our heart, and knoweth all things.
21 Beloved, if our heart condemn us not, then have we confidence toward God.
22 And whatsoever we ask, we receive of him, because we keep his commandments, and do those things that are pleasing in his sight.
23 And this is his commandment, That we should believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ (Yeshua` the Messiah), and love one another, as he gave us commandment.
24 And he that keepeth his commandments dwelleth in him, and he in him. And hereby we know that he abideth in us, by the Spirit which he hath given us.
KJV

So, "keeping His commandments" is not just living up to God's Torah! It's believing on the authority of His Son Yeshua` the Messiah, which IS "loving God with all ones heart, soul, mind, and strength," and loving one another!