• Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,696
  • Content Per Day:  2.46
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

26 minutes ago, ayin jade said:

I know one person who was in a war and said he would never ever pick up a gun again. He has gotten 3 guns in the past couple of years. After decades of never having one. I have no doubt the number is higher now. 

I'm sure. I own several, more then 3, and I have many friends with multiple firearms. But, I also know several with only one or two. And even if the statistic is right about the 3%, it has the total number of guns wrong which skews the results. Even if 50% of the guns are owned by 3% of gun owners, that leaves at my estimation, 150 million guns. And, with a 3 million gun figure, that 3% owns on average around 6 guns a person if my math is right, with all others probably owning between 1 and 2, which puts the percentage of gun owners far higher than 30% and closer to the 50% mark.

My point isn't that people don't own multiple firearms, its that the statistic is twisted using false data in order to mis represent gun owners.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.96
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

8 hours ago, Out of the Shadows said:

I do not understand why this study has you all so freaked out, makes no sense at all.

I'm not freaking out. I am puzzled by the claim and seeking to critically analyze the study and the report.

And so I repeat:

Rule number one or two or three or whatever of fact-checking things like this - you need to answer these questions:

Where did they get their numbers from? How was the research conducted? What is the margin of error? 

Seriously, was this done via survey? Interviews? On-line records? What?

And does this report account for the guns on the street (aka illegally obtained)?

Also:

If 50% of guns are owned by 3% of the population, and if no one owns just one gun - how many guns do the owners of the other 50% of guns have each?

• Group:  Royal Member *
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  91
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  10,596
  • Content Per Day:  3.70
  • Days Won:  25

4 minutes ago, nebula said:

I'm not freaking out. I am puzzled by the claim and seeking to critically analyze the study and the report.

And so I repeat:

Rule number one or two or three or whatever of fact-checking things like this - you need to answer these questions:

Where did they get their numbers from? How was the research conducted? What is the margin of error? 

Seriously, was this done via survey? Interviews? On-line records? What?

And does this report account for the guns on the street (aka illegally obtained)?

Also:

If 50% of guns are owned by 3% of the population, and if no one owns just one gun - how many guns do the owners of the other 50% of guns have each?

The final study has not been released so the methodology is not known at this time.

Nobody said "no one owns just one gun", so your questions seems a bit odd.

1 hour ago, The_Patriot2016 said:

I'm sure. I own several, more then 3, and I have many friends with multiple firearms. But, I also know several with only one or two. And even if the statistic is right about the 3%, it has the total number of guns wrong which skews the results. Even if 50% of the guns are owned by 3% of gun owners, that leaves at my estimation, 150 million guns. And, with a 3 million gun figure, that 3% owns on average around 6 guns a person if my math is right, with all others probably owning between 1 and 2, which puts the percentage of gun owners far higher than 30% and closer to the 50% mark.

My point isn't that people don't own multiple firearms, its that the statistic is twisted using false data in order to mis represent gun owners.

How are gun owners being misrepresented? 

Just now, Out of the Shadows said:

The final study has not been released so the methodology is not known at this time.

Nobody said "no one owns just one gun", so your questions seems a bit odd.

Did I misinterpret what you said then? Please clarify:

" those I know that have guns all have multiple guns."

" do you know many people that only own one gun?   I do not know anyone that owns just one gun,"

I was tying in the article claim with what you had said in response because I was not understanding how both statements could be true.

4 minutes ago, nebula said:

Did I misinterpret what you said then? Please clarify:

" those I know that have guns all have multiple guns."

" do you know many people that only own one gun?   I do not know anyone that owns just one gun,"

I was tying in the article claim with what you had said in response because I was not understanding how both statements could be true.

I was speaking of the people I know that own guns, which is about a dozen or maybe up too 2 dozen or so people.  I used that as an example of how the study seemed to support what was true in my experiences, those that own guns tend to own more than one.   I would imagine as you get into a more urban setting the people that own guns would own less than those in a rural setting like where I live, and where it seems many of the people talking about guns live.

11 minutes ago, Out of the Shadows said:

I was speaking of the people I know that own guns, which is about a dozen or maybe up too 2 dozen or so people.  I used that as an example of how the study seemed to support what was true in my experiences, those that own guns tend to own more than one.   I would imagine as you get into a more urban setting the people that own guns would own less than those in a rural setting like where I live, and where it seems many of the people talking about guns live.

"50% of American guns owned by 3% of population."

If that is true, then the other 50% of guns are owned by what percentage of the population? And how many guns per owner?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,795
  • Content Per Day:  6.22
  • Days Won:  58

2 hours ago, The_Patriot2016 said:

And I was commenting on how the numbers of people who own guns, single or multiple, are increasing lol.

14 minutes ago, nebula said:

"50% of American guns owned by 3% of population."

If that is true, then the other 50% of guns are owned by what percentage of the population? And how many guns per owner?

The population of the US is roughly 321 million, so 3% of that would be 9,630,000.  The study estimates 245,000,000 guns, so 50% of that would be 122,500,000.  So, 122,500,000 guns divided by 9,630,000 people gives you about 13 guns per person.   Even at 300,000,000 guns that is only 16 guns for that 3%.  Neither number is all that crazy.  

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,696
  • Content Per Day:  2.46
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

1 hour ago, Out of the Shadows said:

How are gun owners being misrepresented? 

I have already explained, several times. I won't repeat myself. Please go back and re read all my replies, and if you don't understand them then tell me what you find confusing and I'll explain it better.