Ezra

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.36
  • Days Won:  20

According to Scripture they are both to be found in the Lord Jesus Christ, therefore they are indeed inseparable: For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ. (John 1:17).

What is the significance of this for Christians today? Many are turning away from the truth and turning to fables. But when we closely examine the life of the Lord on earth, we find a perfect balance between grace (which is also Divine love) and truth.

We find Christ in the Temple offering the Holy Spirit as the Water of Life to all who will receive Him.  That is grace. At another time, we also find Christ in the Temple making a whip of cords and driving out the merchants and money-changers from the Temple.  That is truth.

We find Christ in the Temple forgiving the woman taken in adultery and telling her to go and sin no more.  That is grace. At another time, we also find Christ in the Temple strongly condemning the scribes and Pharisees and pronouncing woes upon them. That is truth.

Christians are not generally being taught that God maintains all of His attributes in a perfect balance, and Christ is God. There are those who talk about His sovereignty when they should be talking about His grace.  There are those who talk about His love when they should be talking about His truth. 

Therefore it is up to every Christian to carefully study the Scriptures and see for themselves how God keeps His perfect grace and His perfect truth in balance. That is why when Paul speaks about “all Scripture”, he says that not only is it given for doctrine, but also for reproof and correction (2 Timothy 3:16,17).

Today we are seeing a tremendous departure from God’s truth and a turning to humanistic ideas and false teachings.  This began about 200 years ago, but since we are approaching the appearance of the Antichrist, we can expect more and more of this while the Gospel is watered down and the Bible is attacked.

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,568
  • Content Per Day:  0.69
  • Days Won:  0

I tend to believe that grace and truth are two separate things.  That they are not one and the same thing as you are claiming they are inseparable being one and the same thing but I see them as two separate things altogether.

The truth can be preached but all that hear the truth will not receive the gift of grace through faith after hearing the truth.  Some will still reject it and not respond to it by faith remaining in their sins unrepentant toward God.  

Grace is a gift from God given to only those who respond in faith to the gospel as they come to call on God repenting of their sins and believing Christ died on the cross, was buried, and was resurrected on the third day.

1 hour ago, Openly Curious said:

That they are not one and the same thing as you are claiming they are inseparable being one and the same thing but I see them as two separate things altogether.

Sorry, but I have not said that they are one and the same thing.  To be "inseparable" means to work in tandem. One cannot omit grace and focus only on truth, neither can one omit truth and simply focus on grace.

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,990
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,688
  • Content Per Day:  11.83
  • Days Won:  226

Grace and truth are not the same. They are different.

1 hour ago, Ezra said:

Sorry, but I have not said that they are one and the same thing.  To be "inseparable" means to work in tandem. One cannot omit grace and focus only on truth, neither can one omit truth and simply focus on grace.

But you can have one without the other as I've said therefore they can be separable. Grace can be omitted by way of rejecting the truth for it is a gift from God separate from the truth.  

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,990
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,688
  • Content Per Day:  11.83
  • Days Won:  226

Aren't we thinking a little too hard here? :huh:

Not really

1 minute ago, Yowm said:

The Truth includes Grace and Grace includes the Truth...inseparable, yet they are distinguishable.

Exactly.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  77
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  641
  • Content Per Day:  0.22

On 9/21/2016 at 9:38 PM, Ezra said:

We find Christ in the Temple forgiving the woman taken in adultery and telling her to go and sin no more.  That is grace. At another time, we also find Christ in the Temple strongly condemning the scribes and Pharisees and pronouncing woes upon them. That is truth.

Thank you, wonderful piece, much to ponder.  The above, if truth is accepted then is that a grace as well?  Conversion comes from stark truth.....only truth can lead to grace.  Of course you said that, but for some reason I find this an interesting part of your essay to dwell upon.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  306
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,130
  • Content Per Day:  4.63
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings Ezra...

Beautiful post,thank you......yes indeed,inseparable as I see it and of course(the whole point of your OP I believe-lol) is that they are most certainly very different! 

I do agree that this has become a very big problem today,I see it a lot in many of the popular preachers toiday that preach Grace,Grace,Grace omitting TRUTH...the Truth is not always easy to digest or REceive but most necessary as Jesus is the Way,the TRUTH & the Life,,,,,& as ,as you said,He is GOD,,,,,we are also under His Loving Grace,,,,,,inseparable yet working together ,by His Grace we are Saved & SEaled for Redemption ,Eternal.......in Truth we live a Life More Abundant,here & now and can Spread the Gospel so that others can also walk in Spirit & IN TRUTH                                     To God be the Glory!      With love-in Christ,Kwik