• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  60
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  07/23/1965

This is a cut from a dated interview, but I thought it might be interesting to talk about.

ChristianMusicToday: 

Do you feel that other Christian metal bands take such responsibility in their messages to young listeners?

Ryan Clark:

I think there is a lack of responsibility in bands to back up what they talk about. It could even be said that there is a lack in how they word what they are talking about. Some bands have a clever way to mask Christianity using a poetic take on spirituality. I think that is a selfish way of writing and dealing with spirituality. I see no point in being a Christian band if you're not reaching out to people with a certain amount of blatancy.
I am all for bands giving people a message that they can hear for what it is, rather than being poetic or entirely vague, making listeners dive in and figure it out on their own if they want. I think people who have that poetic view in a Christian band take responsibility for granted and act in opposition to the whole idea of sharing a clear Christian message. Being rebellious or subversive as rock musicians and [coming in under the radar with a Christian message], I can understand that to a degree, but in some instances, it still strikes me as playing it safe. Demon Hunter is not a safe band.

Over the last twenty years I’ve noticed a disturbing evolution in Christian music. 

The “message” has been bleed out on an altar of desire for acceptance. In supposed attempts to reach a wider audience, many bands have given up on outreach. Now, I am not writing this in judgment of any band member's relationship with Jesus, but I am curious about their motives and the evolution of Christian music.

Edited by Dr3ams

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.93
  • Days Won:  3

2 hours ago, Dr3ams said:

The “message” has been bleed out on an altar of desire for acceptance. In supposed attempts to reach a wider audience, many bands have given up on outreach. Now, I am not writing this in judgment of any band member's relationship with Jesus, but I am curious about their motives and the evolution of Christian music.

If you don't like it don't buy it or listen too it. Also just because the message is lost on you does not mean that someone else does not get it. What I mean is people are different. While you may not understand or get what message they are trying to say in their music, someone else just might. So I don't get all upset and up in arms if I happen to hear a "Christian" band and don't like what they are saying or how they are saying it. I just say well, no that isn't to my liking and I don't listen or buy. Does that mean they are a bad band? Well it might just mean that I am not able to understand their message cause it is not meant to reach someone like me. Get what I am saying? Anyway that is what I think about Christian bands.

I listen to some Christian goth bands that I know some of you here would be like "what! on earth are they singing about" :o

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  60
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  07/23/1965

1 hour ago, LadyKay said:

If you don't like it don't buy it or listen too it. Also just because the message is lost on you does not mean that someone else does not get it.

1 hour ago, LadyKay said:

So I don't get all upset and up in arms if I happen to hear a "Christian" band and don't like what they are saying or how they are saying it. I just say well, no that isn't to my liking and I don't listen or buy.

A little sensitive are we? 

4 hours ago, Dr3ams said:

I see no point in being a Christian band if you're not reaching out to people with a certain amount of blatancy.

The above quote from Ryan Clark is the point I was trying to make. I own a colossal collection of secular and Christian cassettes, CDs and DVDs. I could care less if it is Christian or secular, if the music and message is what I'm looking for, then I'll buy it. What I see as a contradiction and what bothers me, is when a group of Believers slap the label Christian on their band, but does nothing to promote the meaning. I've been to a lot of concerts where this occurs all too often. I'm old enough to have seen this happen in reverse with an 80s band called Rage of Angels. Because the secular market was saturated with heavy metal hair bands at the time, they thought they could gain some notoriety in the Christian market. Their album was good and it began to take off, until some Christian metal magazine exposed them as pretending to be Believers just to sell albums in Christian book stores. It only took a few months for that to spread and then they were done. Kind of sad in my opinion. My point is, be true to who you are and to your potential fans. Don't throw a Christian label on your band if you're not willing to represent. If you want to reach both audiences, just make good music...without being labeled. Christians aren't stupid (most of them anyways), you'll get noticed. A good example of a band who did it right is Thrice. Thrice had a mix of both Believer and non-believing musicians. Their lyrics are saturated with Biblical influence, but when asked if they were a Christian band, they said no. They got noticed. Their album Beggars is in my top 10 list of the greatest albums ever produced.     

Edited by Dr3ams