• Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  155
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,464
  • Content Per Day:  1.02
  • Days Won:  57
  • Birthday:  12/12/1952

2 minutes ago, SHINY4UJESUS said:

One of the great tragedies in modern day America is that society and legality have severely limited a parent's freedom to reasonably discipline our children. Some states do not allow "spanking," while others do. Some states do not allow giving a child a "time-out," even speaking to them in a stern manner can constitute verbal and child abuse in some states. Grounding a child to their room is considered child abuse in some cases. If a child refuses to eat, a parent can neither "force, " the child to eat, nor allow them not to eat...a bit of "catch 22," is it not? As such, society has contributed to the moral decay of the world by simply giving the child the power within the family dynamic. If a child or another does not agree with the punishment, the parent can be in danger; and especially savvy children quickly learn how to manipulate this system to their own benefit. Praise God for the intelligence of these children,lol; but shame on society and the justice system for causing this issue. Regardless what society says..these folks are correct-the bible clearly states that reasonable physical discipline is not only allowed but is promoted; that the child's welfare and furute potential for success within society may benefit. The only thing I would advise: rather than simply spanking, or doling out other reasonable discipline; let it be followed with a period of explanation. We as parents have a duty not simply to discipline, but to educate our children not only that it is wrong; but why its wrong, and what impact it can have if allowed to continue unchecked. I think some of us neglect this second part more than we probably should. Let us keep this in mind when we discipline, so that our children have a fuller understanding of the critical nature of proper behavior. 

To much government when a state tells a parent what and how they can discipline a child.

Guest shiloh357
9 hours ago, RobertS said:

Well, we stopped largely with spankings in this country; in doing so, we have severely "dropped the bar" for what we expect in our children as they transition to "adulthood". The consequences of doing so are now being realized, as we see we have not raised adults,  but perpetual children. We see the rise of: "safe zones", people who have no personal responsibility, manners or sense of right and wrong, and entitled "adult" brats who think everything should just be given to them. This has become a "Peter Pan" society that caters to youth and leaves everyone else to pay for the wants and whining of a spoiled generation of malfunctional emotional imbeciles who cannot even hold a conversation without the aid of a "smartphone" or other electronic media venue. And when we challenge the whole idea of not including corporal punishment, Liberalism claims we are "stifling creativity", are "being cruel and barbaric" or some other nonsense.

The only thing spanking a child (not beating them bloody) stifles is bad behavior.

This country needs to lose the conceited view that elevates a child to the status of demi-goodhood and circulates everything around youth and attractiveness, and return to the concepts oft:

- Age and experience are valuable and need to be respected and recognized, not stigmatized, mocked and relegated to ignominity.

- Hard work and determination are prerequisites for building anything of lasting value.

- Solid moral foundations, self-discipline and personal responsibility are the basic minimum  requirements for being considered an adult in this society.

- Civilized behavior, the ability to articulate an idea and discuss it without screaming or "shouting down" an opponent, the ability to accept criticism without an emotional "meltdown", and not being personally threatened by someone disagreeing with your views are hallmarks of adulthood.

But the worst is yet to come: when this newest generation of "young adults" begin to raise their own offspring, it will decline even moreso from where we are now. The momentum of this situation will continue until we have essentially returned to a land of barbaric savages that operate purely on instinct (which I am convinced we are not far from at this point). The kind of cruelty and savagery we see in third world nations will quickly overtake what will be left of this country.

One aspect of the End Times I am seeing now, and one reason I believe the Lord's coming and the Tribulation are not too far off.

Could not have said that better!! :thumbsup:

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  40,788
  • Content Per Day:  7.95
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

It is as it is and the fruit is as it is ... words will not alter the results only action but the recovery will be to difficult for the is of now... society has not the ability of self sacrifice to recover!

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  77
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  641
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Days Won:  0

15 hours ago, 1to3 said:

There was a  t.v.program called the nanny that aired several years ago, perhaps still does?.

This program would teach parents how to implement rules and discipline in children without having to resort to corporal punishment.

I am all for this type of discipline.

There has been way to much abuse done by way of corporal punishment.

There are far better and more effective ways to bring up a child than resulting in corporal punishment.

As for the Holy Spirit of God?

I have always found Him to be gentle of Spirit even when coming to convict me of my sins. He has always done so in a very gentle but effective way of making me see my wrongs and where I need change in order to walk better with Him.

If my Father in heaven treats me, a sinner by way of a gentle yet effective Spirit, I see not why I would go and treat and discipline my own child with lesser love than a merciful yet effective one that God my Father has done to me.

Beautifully said, thank  you.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  336
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  11/12/1953

22 hours ago, 1to3 said:

There was a  t.v.program called the nanny that aired several years ago, perhaps still does?.

This program would teach parents how to implement rules and discipline in children without having to resort to corporal punishment.

I am all for this type of discipline.

There has been way to much abuse done by way of corporal punishment.

There are far better and more effective ways to bring up a child than resulting in corporal punishment.

As for the Holy Spirit of God?

I have always found Him to be gentle of Spirit even when coming to convict me of my sins. He has always done so in a very gentle but effective way of making me see my wrongs and where I need change in order to walk better with Him.

If my Father in heaven treats me, a sinner by way of a gentle yet effective Spirit, I see not why I would go and treat and discipline my own child with lesser love than a merciful yet effective one that God my Father has done to me.

Spoken like a mom, which is why moms usually are not the ones who do the corporal disciplining. ;)

We are told in the Bible that sparing the rod does spoil the child and we're told that who God loves he disciplines. We're also told that whatever we sow we reap and that can be a lot more debilitating than being spanked as a child. 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

4 minutes ago, StanJ said:

Spoken like a mom, which is why moms usually are not the ones who do the corporal disciplining. ;)

We are told in the Bible that sparing the rod does spoil the child and we're told that who God loves he disciplines. We're also told that whatever we sow we reap and that can be a lot more debilitating than being spanked as a child. 

Everyone sees this subject differently.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

8 hours ago, enoob57 said:

It is as it is and the fruit is as it is ... words will not alter the results only action but the recovery will be to difficult for the is of now... society has not the ability of self sacrifice to recover!

scratch.gif

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  336
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  11/12/1953

5 hours ago, missmuffet said:

Indeed...but we are supposed to look at it, if we are believers, through the eyes of Scripture. No?

Edited by StanJ

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  40,788
  • Content Per Day:  7.95
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

3 hours ago, missmuffet said:

scratch.gif

To grow and gain nearness in The Lord one must die to self by reckoning and performance .... the Church has seemed to have lost this concept. Society has what's in it for me and the well is nearly dry!

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Content Count:  2,458
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  01/31/1950

6 hours ago, missmuffet said:

If God says do not spare the rod and some one teaches spare the rod are they not going against Gods teachings?

I wonder which is best to follow?