Jayne

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,776
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Days Won:  2

How many of these have you thought were in the Bible?  Don't be embarrassed.  Most people have at some point in their walk.

Just to make it all easy - NONE of these are in the Bible.

[1]  "Spare the rod and spoil the child".

[2] "God helps those who helps themselves."

[3]  "God will never give you more than you can handle."

[4]  "Cleanliness is next to godliness."

[5]  "Money is the root of all evil."

[6]  "God moves in mysterious ways."

[7]  "Charity begins at home."

[8]  "The Seven Deadly Sins - wrath, greed, sloth, pride, lust, envy, and gluttony"

[9]  "This too shall pass."

[10]  "The lion will lie down with the lamb."

[11]  "Hate the sin, love the sinner."

[12]  "When we die, heaven gains another angel."

[13]  "The devil can cite scripture for his purposes."

[14]  "To thine own self be true."

Can you think of any more??

Edited by Jayne

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  146
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  0

Wow, yes there are a few of them I was under the vague impression they may be in the Good Book. A few of them my mother has quoted to me during my life, so I think I just assumed where they were from really.

No 5 is so often misquoted, it is 'The love of money is the root of all evil'. It changes the meaning entirely.

No 12 is just weird, I don't understand people who think we become angels, or those who deify them either. Angels are messengers of God, very important and having key roles, but not exactly main players.

No 14 is from Shakespeare's Hamlet, and I knew that couldn't possibly be in the Bible.... otherwise Shakespeare was a master plagurist and I'm the first to work it out. Hooray, me!

I'm glad you posted this, it's quite thought-provoking and makes me realises that I don't know as much as I think I do!

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  216
  • Content Per Day:  0.07

Numbers 1,3,6,9,11 and 13 are all biblical yet those exact quotes are not in there. 

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

I found the "concept" if some of those quotes in the Bible. Just not the exact words.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,673
  • Content Per Day:  2.46
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

First statement is false, it is indeed in the Bible.

Proverbs 13:24

Whoever spares the rod hates his son, but he who loves him is diligent to discipline him

And the lion and the lamb, is also in the Bible, though the lamb is actually laying down with many other animals. Some of these are true, but some are not. It's interesting how the enemy finds ways to trick people into believing his lies-he mixes them in with truths so that people have a harder time telling the difference.

Isaiah 11:6

The wolf shall dwell with the lamb,

and the leopard shall lie down with the young goat,

and the calf and the lion and the fattened calf together;

and a little child shall lead them.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  138
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

On 9/25/2016 at 3:06 AM, emdie said:

No 12 is just weird, I don't understand people who think we become angels, or those who deify them either. Angels are messengers of God, very important and having key roles, but not exactly main players.

This could possibly be due to what Jesus says in Matthew 22:30 (and Mark 12:25) in answering the Sadducees questions about the resurrection:

Matt. 22:29-30  NKJV    Jesus answered and said to them, “You are mistaken, not knowing the Scriptures nor the power of God. 30 For in the resurrection they neither marry nor are given in marriage, but are like angels of God[a] in heaven.

Mark 12:25 NKJV  25 For when they rise from the dead, they neither marry nor are given in marriage, but are like angels in heaven.

• Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  304
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,094
  • Content Per Day:  4.65
  • Days Won:  327

Good stuff Jayne

Yers,these are quoted as though they are Verses of Scripture,word for word as you posted,,,,,,of course we know that some are paraphrased versions of w4hat iS in the Word of God but I get your point,I've posted something similar  years ago                                          With love-in Christ

I) think the most common mis-quoted verse of Scripture is "Money is the root of all evil"Which of course is waaaaay off

King James Bible
For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.

1 Timothy 6;10

Thanks for sharing                                                                                              With love-in Christ,Kwik

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,776
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Days Won:  2

19 hours ago, The_Patriot2016 said:

First statement is false, it is indeed in the Bible.

Proverbs 13:24

Whoever spares the rod hates his son, but he who loves him is diligent to discipline him

Actually, Samuel Butler in the 17th century had something else in mind entirely when he coined the phrase we know today as spare the rod and spoil the child" in his epic poem Hudibras.

“If matrimony and hanging go
       By dest’ny, why not whipping too?                           
       What med’cine else can cure the fits
       Of lovers when they lose their wits?
       Love is a boy by poets stil’d;
       Then spare the rod and spoil the child.

I'll not explain nor give further citations from the poem. :o

• Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,673
  • Content Per Day:  2.46
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

1 hour ago, Jayne said:

Actually, Samuel Butler in the 17th century had something else in mind entirely when he coined the phrase we know today as spare the rod and spoil the child" in his epic poem Hudibras.

“If matrimony and hanging go
       By dest’ny, why not whipping too?                           
       What med’cine else can cure the fits
       Of lovers when they lose their wits?
       Love is a boy by poets stil’d;
       Then spare the rod and spoil the child.

I'll not explain nor give further citations from the poem. :o

oh, im sure he may have-but the phrase-or at least the meaning behind the phrase-is indeed in the Bible, as I showed you in proverbs.

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  146
  • Content Per Day:  0.05

8 hours ago, GoodFruit said:

This could possibly be due to what Jesus says in Matthew 22:30 (and Mark 12:25) in answering the Sadducees questions about the resurrection:

Matt. 22:29-30  NKJV    Jesus answered and said to them, “You are mistaken, not knowing the Scriptures nor the power of God. 30 For in the resurrection they neither marry nor are given in marriage, but are like angels of God[a] in heaven.

Mark 12:25 NKJV  25 For when they rise from the dead, they neither marry nor are given in marriage, but are like angels in heaven.

Maybe angels are the closest thing there are that is comparable to being dead, so that's why the comparison was made. I didn't know about that being said in the bible though (but I like reading quotes from other people).

I was thinking more of people who are into the trendy popular culture of angels, if you go into a 'new age' shop or the like you'll find they do a very good trade on anything with angels on it. You know, the typical Botticelli images, and beautiful women with a pair pf perfect wings for example, which is highly idealistic in view. I think if an angel appeared to us today we would be terrified and overcome at the sight, as were the shepherds when the birth of Christ was announced to them.