• Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  265
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  13,128
  • Content Per Day:  3.50
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  10/06/1947

10 hours ago, GoodFruit said:

This could possibly be due to what Jesus says in Matthew 22:30 (and Mark 12:25) in answering the Sadducees questions about the resurrection:

Matt. 22:29-30  NKJV    Jesus answered and said to them, “You are mistaken, not knowing the Scriptures nor the power of God. 30 For in the resurrection they neither marry nor are given in marriage, but are like angels of God[a] in heaven.

Mark 12:25 NKJV  25 For when they rise from the dead, they neither marry nor are given in marriage, but are like angels in heaven.

Hi GoodFruit,

`Neither marry nor are given in marriage, but are like the angels of God in heaven,..` (which marry nor are given in marriage). That is the sense of that statement. It shows in what particular aspect we are like angels - `neither marry nor are given in marriage.`

For we know that when we see Him we shall be like Him. (1 John 3: 2)  And the Lord is not an angel for -

`He has not put the world to come, of which we speak, in subjection to angels.` (Heb. 2: 5)

regards, Marilyn.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  138
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

16 hours ago, Marilyn C said:

Hi GoodFruit,

`Neither marry nor are given in marriage, but are like the angels of God in heaven,..` (which marry nor are given in marriage). That is the sense of that statement. It shows in what particular aspect we are like angels - `neither marry nor are given in marriage.`

For we know that when we see Him we shall be like Him. (1 John 3: 2)  And the Lord is not an angel for -

`He has not put the world to come, of which we speak, in subjection to angels.` (Heb. 2: 5)

regards, Marilyn.

Hi Marilyn,

I agree with you, I don't believe that we will become angels.  I posted what I did in response to someone else wondering why anyone would think we become angels.  I was thinking that maybe somebody read those verses and that what they though.  I didn't intend for it to come across as what I believe.  I should have been more clear.

Blessings,

GF

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  70
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

"The road to hell is paved with good intentions"

Thought to have been originated by Saint Bernard of Clairvaux's quote "hell is full of good wishes or desires"

An earlier rendition~ "the descent to hell is easy" Virgils Aenied

Edited by miracles

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  265
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  13,128
  • Content Per Day:  3.50
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  10/06/1947

38 minutes ago, GoodFruit said:

Hi Marilyn,

I agree with you, I don't believe that we will become angels.  I posted what I did in response to someone else wondering why anyone would think we become angels.  I was thinking that maybe somebody read those verses and that what they though.  I didn't intend for it to come across as what I believe.  I should have been more clear.

Blessings,

GF

Hi GoodFruit,

That`s great. All the best as you continue to post truth.

Marilyn,

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.82
  • Days Won:  44

On ‎9‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 1:01 AM, Jayne said:

How many of these have you thought were in the Bible?  Don't be embarrassed.  Most people have at some point in their walk.

Just to make it all easy - NONE of these are in the Bible.

[1]  "Spare the rod and spoil the child".

[2] "God helps those who helps themselves."

[3]  "God will never give you more than you can handle."

[4]  "Cleanliness is next to godliness."

[5]  "Money is the root of all evil."

[6]  "God moves in mysterious ways."

[7]  "Charity begins at home."

[8]  "The Seven Deadly Sins - wrath, greed, sloth, pride, lust, envy, and gluttony"

[9]  "This too shall pass."

[10]  "The lion will lie down with the lamb."

[11]  "Hate the sin, love the sinner."

[12]  "When we die, heaven gains another angel."

[13]  "The devil can cite scripture for his purposes."

[14]  "To thine own self be true."

Can you think of any more??

Hiya Jayne! :) This is a fun topic of discussion. :thumbsup: 

Re: #1 "Spare the rod and spoil the child"

I think @The_Patriot2016 explained that one. While it may be a reference to a poem. The Biblical proverb came first. :) 

Re: #2 "God helps those who helps themselves"

One could argue this has some loose roots in 2 Thessalonians 3:10, James 4:8?

2 Thess. 3:10
For even when we were with you, we would give you this command: If anyone is not willing to work, let him not eat.

James 4:8
Draw near to God, and he will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded.

However, the argument could easily be made that God helps those who cannot help themselves, which is what grace is all about (See the parable of the Pharisee and the Publican Luke 18:9-14, Ephesians 2:4–5, Romans 4:4–5

God bless,
GE

On ‎9‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 10:22 PM, Yowm said:

[15] Please open your bibles to Hezekiah 2:22 

Is that kind of like 1 Hesitations 3:26?

Lol this made me laugh. :) 

God bless,
GE

• Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  155
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,464
  • Content Per Day:  1.02
  • Days Won:  57
  • Birthday:  12/12/1952

On 9/25/2016 at 10:09 PM, The_Patriot2016 said:

First statement is false, it is indeed in the Bible.

Proverbs 13:24

Whoever spares the rod hates his son, but he who loves him is diligent to discipline him

And the lion and the lamb, is also in the Bible, though the lamb is actually laying down with many other animals. Some of these are true, but some are not. It's interesting how the enemy finds ways to trick people into believing his lies-he mixes them in with truths so that people have a harder time telling the difference.

Isaiah 11:6

The wolf shall dwell with the lamb,

and the leopard shall lie down with the young goat,

and the calf and the lion and the fattened calf together;

and a little child shall lead them.

Right, it doesn't say spoil but it pretty much makes it's point.  I believe that is why we have so many out of control kids,  No discipline at home, then the parents wonder why their kids are the way they are.  Sad.  By the time they are three they had better know who is running the show, and it's not them.

Re: 3 "God will never give you more than you can handle."

This not in the Bible. God wants us to be dependent on Him. So that sometimes means giving us more than we can handle.

Yet, we're told God will not tempt us past what we can handle with the aid of the Holy Spirit who lives in us:

1 Cor. 10:13
No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it.

Re: 4 "Cleanliness is next to godliness."

I believe this is recorded in a sermon by John Wesley around 1778. The idea is ancient though as it's found in Babylonian and Hebrew religious tracts.

When David sinned he turned to God for be cleansed. See Psalm 51:7-10 for example.

There was a deep rift between Hebrews (Jews) and those around them. Hebrews thought they were clean and any other race was unclean because of the promises God made as His chosen people. A form of elitism if you will. Certain foods were also seen as unclean. See Acts 10 for example when God commands Peter to eat unclean animals in showing that “What God has made clean, do not call common.”

So many times though this saying is taken to mean that your house needs to be spotless. Reminds me of the different approach of Mary and Martha in Luke 10:38-42. Mary was focused on the guest in her home - Jesus. Martha was focused on the service and activities. Martha forgot that the relationship with others was more important than appearances.

God bless,
GE

• Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,204
  • Content Per Day:  3.35
  • Days Won:  30

I believe that the Lion lying down with the Lamb has more to do with Christ, Who came as the Lamb of God Who takes away the sins of the world, and will come again as the Lion of the tribe of Judah and reign on earth with a rod of iron.  But in the New Jerusalem they are again one, Savior and King.  Alleluia!!  For He shall reign forever and ever!  As such it is scriptural.

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,776
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Days Won:  2

"Spare the rod and spoil the child" is not in the Bible nor is it's equivalent in the Bible.

Spare the rod and spoil the child - EVEN IF it were in the Bible is speaking of the consequences of a child becoming rebellious or somehow damaged.  And the poem isn't even remotely talking about children and their parents.  It's talking a tawdry talk about sexuality between lovers.

What IS in the Bible is "He who spares the rod hates his child".  That is in terms of the parents' failure as parents.  It's admonishing the parent for not loving his child enough to make sure he gets correction when necessary - a totally different perspective.

Two different things.

Do you all think that I am making a reference to not believing in spanking by asserting the fact that the phrase is not in the Bible because I'm not.  I believe in spanking.  What I don't believe in is saying something is in the Bible when it is not.

And to go around saying, "The Bible says 'Spare the rod and spoil the child'" is not citing the Bible correctly.