IGNORED

I need your help - poll on Bible versions

Omegaman 3.0

For study here in this thread, which of these versions do you prefer to see quoted- voting is anonymous  

57 members have voted

1. 1. If you see verses quoted in the Bible study topic area, which of these versions, would you rather see

• KJV
    • NKJV
    • NIV
    • ESV

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  57
  • Topic Count:  1,546
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  10,320
  • Content Per Day:  1.41
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  11/05/1951

11 hours ago, angels4u said:

Hi Mega, my favorite version is the NKJV, I do like other versions ones too but when I study I like to use my old NKJV )

And old it is..

It can't be THAT old, it didn't even come out until 1982! :) 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  56
  • Topic Count:  1,664
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  19,763
  • Content Per Day:  2.39
  • Days Won:  28

2 minutes ago, Omegaman 3.0 said:

It can't be THAT old, it didn't even come out until 1982! :) 

Hi Mega :)

That I didn't know how old the NKJV is lol ,I have this bible since 1982 or something and it's falling apart :)  I underlined in it,wrote notes in it , it's still  my favorite old  Bible, some of the pages are taped back in Genesis and the cover is duct taped, I do have new Bible in the house but find myself reading this one ..it's Gods gift to me, it was my first English Bible,we moved from the Netherlands to Canada in 19981 and I was a brand new Christian, my grandfather in the Netherlands told me that I was like Abraham , going to a strange land I didn't know, I believe God put me here for a reason,my life would never have been the same without Jesus... ..:emot-heartbeat:

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  76
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  566
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/08/1985

NASB hands down.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,146
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  04/10/1950

Hello there Omegaman,

King James Version for reading

Blue Letter Bible for online reading

Halley's Pocket Bible Handbook for studying

Strong's Concordance for looking things up when off line

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  57
  • Topic Count:  1,546
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  10,320
  • Content Per Day:  1.41
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  11/05/1951

14 hours ago, Hawkeye said:

NASB hands down.

That is nice, but it misses the point of the thread entirely. As I already said, I am not looking for opinions on what versions people like, or why they like them, from all versions available. What I am looking for, is of the four I listed ONLY, which would readers prefer?

Perhaps if I explained why I am asking this question, it would help people know how to best respond to the thread. First, I am not trying to create a thread about versions, my interest is the results of the poll. Here is why:

If I do a study here on Worthy, or on other sites or in other venues (even off line), I typically will quote from the NASB, that is my preference and I have my reasons. Because this is the case, I did not include the NASB, because I already use it frequently.

However, there are those who are KJV all the way, and they disrust other Bibles, so KJV was one of the choices offered in the poll. 

There are those, who are not fond of old English which that they do not understand, but they do not trust the ancient manusripts that some modern versions use, so they gravitate to the NKJV, to get the benefit of the texts that were used for the KJV, but in more modern English. Hence the inclusion of the NKJV in the poll.

Some like how easy to read and understand the NIV is, and have no issue with the original language manuscripts, perhaps even trusting them better that the Textus Receptus (used in KJV) manuscripts.Some place trust in the antiquity and wide spread usage in early times of these other manuscripts, over the incomplete and relativly modern (medieval and even later) texts used for the KJV, which sometimes derived from even latin manuscripts. Also, many people like that the NIV was designed to be a version, without respect to national or denominational biases, some people like that about it. However, many people are not comfortable, with the NIV's paraphrastic nature, where it tends to me more interpretive, and less of a translation, it is largely a paraphrase. Also, over the years, recent versions of the NIV, have gone a bit politically correct, making things gender neutral. Certainly there is room for the understanding that sometimes, words like "man" mean "mankind" and would include women, but many people prefer to determine that for themselves. Anyway, the NIV is a popular, easy to understand version, so it was included as a choice.

While the NASB gets high marks among many for it's scholarship and literal approach to translation, many find the language to be a bit wooden, kind of clumsy and rough, due to it's more word for word approach to translation, so it does not flow well in English for some people, I never had a problem with that. Since some do, I included the ESV. The ESV is easier to read that the NASB and aims also, to be transdenominational and international, but strikes a compromise between the NIV and the NASB, which is perfect for some beleivers. Therefore, I included that in the poll.

I personally think all of these Bibles are fine, God's truth is present in all of them, and I think that all major doctrines are presevered and easily found present in them. So . . . I am just seeking to find out, what alternatives to the NASB, people might like to see, when Bible studies are done. I wanted to do the poll in this Bible study section of the forums, because I figure that here, is the section were those who are more serious about Bible study (not just Bible reading) might congregate and interact.

I could have included hundreds of Bible versions, but, I am not able to do hundreds of separate Bible studies to accomodate everyone's tastes. If I had included more versions, then the votes would be spread out so much, as to be of no use. Think of a presidential election, where there are 100 candidates running in 100 parties, all of whom/which are viable. Under such conditions, could we arrive at any sort of consensus? 

That is why I limited the choices, it is a chance for people to have a say, and make known what versions they might find acceptable or useful for study.

Thanks all, for participating.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  306
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,130
  • Content Per Day:  4.63
  • Days Won:  327

Hey Mega!!!   

I personally think all of these Bibles are fine, God's truth is present in all of them, and I think that all major doctrines are presevered and easily found present in them. So . . . I am just seeking to find out, what alternatives to the NASB, people might like to see, when Bible studies are done. I wanted to do the poll in this Bible study section of the forums, because I figure that here, is the section were those who are more serious about Bible study (not just Bible reading) might congregate and interact.

What a great idea,I do believe it just may promote more participation......wonderful!    Can't wait for your next Study session!!!

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,491
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  02/02/1971

Hey Mega, I tried to vote but it wouldn't let me choose all of them!  

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  138
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

Of the four, I would choose NKJV

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  71
  • Topic Count:  340
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  16,834
  • Content Per Day:  4.73
  • Days Won:  81
  • Birthday:  04/02/2000

On 9/28/2016 at 8:57 PM, woundeddog said:

I don't know-- doesn't any one like "The Message"?? PFFFFFF lol

KJV only for me

LOL The Message is so funny! :24: 

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  138
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Birthday:  12/15/1941

On 9/28/2016 at 5:04 PM, Omegaman 3.0 said:

I prefer the NASB Bible, for study purposes. I realize not everyone does. I would like to know which alternatives you prefer from among the following 4 choices:

• KJV
  • NKJV
  • NIV
  • ESV

Which of the above, would you prefer to see quoted? I am not asking your for opinions or comments about versions, or reasons for your preferances. I just want to know about your preference for Bible study, from these four versions only. Thanks

If you vote (assuming I get the polling to work) your name is annonymous.

NKJV