IGNORED

What are your thoughts on Howard Pittman's near death experience?

Amore_Amibo

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  31
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

Many of you may have already heard the story. In the late 1970's, reverend Howard Pittman had a near death experience in an ambulance. He found himself standing at the gates of Heaven, but God wouldn't let him in. To make a long story short, for many years reverend Howard thought he had been truly living a holy life, but in that moment, God showed the reverend just how woeful his worship life and service to Jesus had really been. 

For those who've heard this testimony before, what are your thoughts on it? Do you believe it's true, or does his near death experience seem sketchy to you? If anything, it truly makes me feel like I can never live up to God's holy standard, and that I have to walk on eggshells in my relationship with Him. I mean, with testimonies/near death experiences like this, it makes me wonder how someone could ever know they're TRULY saved in the first place. 

Edited by Amore_Amibo

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.36
  • Days Won:  20

38 minutes ago, Amore_Amibo said:

Many of you may have already heard the story. In the late 1970's, reverend Howard Pittman had a near death experience in an ambulance.

This is the first I have heard of Pittman.  I just read his account.  It is rather unusual, but perhaps that is exactly what happened.

As to knowing whether we are truly saved, Scripture says that we can certainly know this (1 John 5:13), and the apostle John gives us several tests in this epistle to know where we stand:

These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God.

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,990
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,688
  • Content Per Day:  11.83
  • Days Won:  226

I am not an advocate of near death experiences.

It could have been a dream.  I have heard too many near death stories that were completely unbiblical to put much stock in them.  We are supposed to work out our own salvation with fear and trembling, so I don't go around discouraging people from fearing the Lord and judgment, but as far as near death experiences go, I am skeptical.

As for your personal fears, we all fail to live up to God's standard of holiness.  Our best is as filthy rags.  My advise to you is to do the best you can, and trust God to do the rest.  When you do something you know was wrong, immediately ask God to forgive you.  Pray the Lord's prayer each and every day.  In it, we are asking God to forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.  You don't need to go around on egg shells unless you are continually living in sin day in and day out, and I doubt you are doing that.  If you are, repent.  Turn around and go in the opposite direction and start following Christ. 

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  77
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  641
  • Content Per Day:  0.22

I think the "Life Review" that many have is important, but the rest they are all different.  Some seem to be Christ centered, others more new age, I have not idea what to make of them.  There are some who have OBE's and bring back vertical information.  I like to read them, but some fundamentalist and new age NDE's are too scripted for me.  Howard Storm had an interesting NDE, he was an atheist, and is now I believe a Christian Minister.

http://www.near-death.com/experiences/notable/howard-storm.html

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,990
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,688
  • Content Per Day:  11.83
  • Days Won:  226

2 hours ago, Rick_Parker said:

I don't buy it.

Me either Rick :mellow:

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  216
  • Content Per Day:  0.07

How about Colton Burpo? He was 3 when he had his nde. I have read the book(Heaven is Real). I am not sure how much his parents influenced him but it is a good read.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  155
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,464
  • Content Per Day:  1.02
  • Days Won:  57
  • Birthday:  12/12/1952

On 9/28/2016 at 6:21 PM, missmuffet said:

I am not an advocate of near death experiences.

What does that mean, not an advocate? Many people have had them and have been changed totally.  God's are not our ways, I believe He will stop at nothing to seek out a lost sheep. People are saved in many ways, why not a near death experience?

This man was completely changed.  His mom had been praying for him and when he realized this could be his last chance he cried out to God.  He is now a pastor and many have been saved under his ministry.  You might want to read his story.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  56
  • Topic Count:  1,664
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  19,763
  • Content Per Day:  2.39
  • Days Won:  28

5 minutes ago, RustyAngeL said:

What does that mean, an advocate? Many people have had them and have been changed totally.  God's are not our ways, I believe He will stop at nothing to seek out a lost sheep. People are saved in many ways, why not a near death experience?

Amen , God can save people in all places and at all times....nothing is impossible with God because He is a great God,Lord of Lord and King of Kings..