• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,491
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  02/02/1971

Anybody read Bruce Wilkinson's book The Prayer of Jabez?  Any opinions?  

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,795
  • Content Per Day:  6.22
  • Days Won:  58

Its pointless and dangerous. It turns a lone bible verse into a magic incantation to get material stuff. Instead of looking at the heart of jabez and why his prayer was answered. Just wofer nonsense. 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,990
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,688
  • Content Per Day:  11.83
  • Days Won:  226

7 minutes ago, ayin jade said:

Its pointless and dangerous. It turns a lone bible verse into a magic incantation to get material stuff. Instead of looking at the heart of jabez and why his prayer was answered. Just wofer nonsense. 

That is way I have heard jade.

• Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  155
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,464
  • Content Per Day:  1.02
  • Days Won:  57
  • Birthday:  12/12/1952

Nope never read it, and from what I"m hearing now I most likely never will.

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,795
  • Content Per Day:  6.22
  • Days Won:  58

Verses about jabez show up in the middle of a genealogy.

1 Chronicles 4

9 And Jabez was more honorable than his brothers. And his mother called his name Jabez, saying, Because I bore him with sorrow.
10 And Jabez called on the God of Israel, saying, Oh that You would bless me indeed, and make my border larger, and that Your hand might be with me, and that You would keep me from evil, so that it may not grieve me! And God granted him that which he asked.

We are not told anything more than this, but Im guessing the Lord granted him the request because of his character and definitely not because of some particular incantation.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  315
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  3,491
  • Content Per Day:  1.26
  • Days Won:  3

3 hours ago, hmbld said:

Anybody read Bruce Wilkinson's book The Prayer of Jabez?  Any opinions?  

Yes I did.

-I read things, put them beside God's word and ask for wisdom and knowledge.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,491
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  02/02/1971

9 hours ago, ayin jade said:

I wanted to get back to church and be involved a little, so I started attending this study wed evenings.  Small group, but I respect these people as solid bible believing non wofer, and much elder than I. Listening to Bruce makes my head hurt, and I get an incredibly weird feeling like I want to spit all his words out, and correct him on use of scripture.  I get an image of the bible being a field, he walks all around the field and grabs scripture here and there, but never stands on the field.  Then I apply the takes one to know one, as people often recognize their own faults in others, and wonder if I am the one walking around the field, yet never standing on the word of God.  I have attended other wed evening studies, and have never been this disagreeable, I felt like I was going to be the crazy one who makes disturbances if anyone their asked me what I thought, which they usually do try to get me more involved.  Everybody is excited, talking about their Jabez experience this, Jabez experience that, enlarge my coast, step out of your comfort zone, well, this whole study is a weird example of everything wrong.  Repeat this prayer every day.  The great focus is on asking God for more of something, then what can I do for God.  What can I do for God?  I can be obedient, the focus should not be on how important I am for God to use me, it should be on Jesus and listening and being obedient to the Holy Spirit and all to the Glory of God!  I don't want to be the crazy guy objecting to my elders.  In person, when I try to say something in a group setting, my thoughts scatter and my words get mangled and nobody understands what I want to explain.  Its been a month, trying to settle myself down and accept teaching from my elders.  I'm more unsettled each time I go back.  I can warm a church pew, but I am unable to get involved usually due to anxiety, now this.  I have no problem with the Jabez prayer, or even praying it.  But the focus is wrong.  This is really eating me up and my inability to speak up is leaving me very unsettled.