• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  91
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,216
  • Content Per Day:  0.81
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/02/1958

How far should we take the message  of Christ when in Mark 12:17, He said And Jesus answering said unto them, Render to Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and to God the things that are God's. And they marvelled at him.

I think this is profound statement against materialism that still resides today.

I have heard, on several occasions Christian have become angered about legislation that would remove the words, "In God we trust" from our coins and the removal of The Ten Commandments from the courthouses. I am thinking that God created everything so why would he be interested in these things being displayed, just to show other human beings.  I think he would be more interested in us having a personal relationship with him and our concentration on these icon sets ourselves up to fall into the same anger and hate that has consumed the world.

I think anger is a short period of insanity that overwelms us all and I would ask you if you've ever spout off at some inocent because you were in this state.

I think anger and hate are two of the things that eject love from our hearts and what are we without the Love that Christ gave us.

I think this is a tactic of the Devil to seduce us to the qoute/unqoute Dark Side.

I also have a thing

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

Caesar minted coins, as he had a right to do, and he demanded some coins in return, as was his right. After all, his image was stamped on what he had made. God has “minted” the human soul, and He has stamped His image on every one (Genesis 1:27). So give Caesar his due—the temporary stuff of this world—but make sure to give God His due: “Offer yourselves to God as those who have been brought from death to life; and offer every part of yourself to him as an instrument of righteousness” (Romans 6:13).

https://gotquestions.org/render-to-Caesar.html

1 hour ago, missmuffet said:

Caesar minted coins, as he had a right to do, and he demanded some coins in return, as was his right. After all, his image was stamped on what he had made. God has “minted” the human soul, and He has stamped His image on every one (Genesis 1:27). So give Caesar his due—the temporary stuff of this world—but make sure to give God His due: “Offer yourselves to God as those who have been brought from death to life; and offer every part of yourself to him as an instrument of righteousness” (Romans 6:13).

https://gotquestions.org/render-to-Caesar.html

I know the story and I was asking if this was a learning experience  that teaches about materialism.

Edited by Churchmouse

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,784
  • Content Per Day:  6.23
  • Days Won:  58

I believe that He used this as a lesson to show people they need the Lord. People tend to focus on the render unto caesar part, but neglect the part where He says and render unto God part. The coin is in the image of caesar, but what is in the image of God? Man. So man needs to be rendered unto God. Like all the other stories in the gospels, He is saying turn to the Lord. 

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.37
  • Days Won:  20

2 hours ago, Churchmouse said:

I think this is profound statement against materialism that still resides today.

The context of rendering to Caesar is the payment of taxes (tribute). The Lord wants Christians to pay their fair share of taxes.  The question was "Is it lawful to pay tribute to Caesar?" and the Lord said "Yes, it is".  Please note (Romans 13:5-7).

5 Wherefore ye must needs be subject, not only for wrath, but also for conscience sake.

6For for this cause pay ye tribute also: for they are God's ministers, attending continually upon this very thing.

7Render therefore to all their dues: tribute to whom tribute is due; custom to whom custom; fear to whom fear; honour to whom honour.

Whether or not it was about materialism is questionable.

7 minutes ago, Ezra said:

The context of rendering to Caesar is the payment of taxes (tribute). The Lord wants Christians to pay their fair share of taxes.  The question was "Is it lawful to pay tribute to Caesar?" and the Lord said "Yes, it is".  Whether or not it was about materialism is questionable.

The question was an attempt to place Jesus as anti Caesar, but that is not my question.

• Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  50
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,727
  • Content Per Day:  1.05
  • Days Won:  5

churchmouse

Matthew 22:17   Tell us therefore, What thinkest thou? Is it lawful to give tribute unto Caesar, or not?

Matthew 22:21   They say unto him, Caesar's. Then saith he unto them, Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's; and unto God the things that are God's.

The question was about paying taxes.  The answer was YES, if the law requires you to pay taxes, pay them, for all those in authority are there because God put them there whether good or evil.  Walk honestly, and abide by the laws of the land of what they are owed, and also give unto God what he is owed which are not material things, but loyalty of the spirit.  Worship no other.

If we avoid paying our taxes, then we are walking deceitfully, defrauding the ruling powers, and it's not fair on all those who do pay and struggle.  Give them nothing to hold against us.  Don't owe man anything but pay what is due, and by doing this we are fulfilling God's law.

Romans 13:1   Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God: the powers that be are ordained of God.

Romans 13:2   Whosoever therefore resisteth the power, resisteth the ordinance of God: and they that resist shall receive to themselves damnation.

Romans 13:3   For rulers are not a terror to good works, but to the evil. Wilt thou then not be afraid of the power? do that which is good, and thou shalt have praise of the same:

Romans 13:4   For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil.

Romans 13:5   Wherefore ye must needs be subject, not only for wrath, but also for conscience sake.

Romans 13:6   For for this cause pay ye tribute also: for they are God's ministers, attending continually upon this very thing.

Romans 13:7   Render therefore to all their dues: tribute to whom tribute is due; custom to whom custom; fear to whom fear; honour to whom honour.

Romans 13:8   Owe no man any thing, but to love one another: for he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law.

I withdrawl the question. I'm clearly not getting through to you guys. I don't know any other way I can word my questions. I appologize for my inabiliies and shortcomings.

• Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  50
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,727
  • Content Per Day:  1.05
  • Days Won:  5

Churchmouse

Sorry I didn't answer your question the way you wanted it answered.  From Jesus statement I answered what he was talking about.  He didn't give a straight yes or no answer, but cleverly answered them with a subtle strong answer.  Now from Jesus words, your mind is pondering over other things.

You said;

I think it's basically telling us to pay our taxes. Simple.  Give to the world what they require, but give to God what he requires and that includes honoring the laws of the land.  I gave you an example in scripture to back up.

I have heard, on several occasions Christian have become angered about legislation that would remove the words, "In God we trust" from our coins and the removal of The Ten Commandments from the courthouses. I am thinking that God created everything so why would he be interested in these things being displayed, just to show other human beings.  I think he would be more interested in us having a personal relationship with him and our concentration on these icon sets ourselves up to fall into the same anger and hate that has consumed the world.

Now, of course God is more interested in us having a personal relationship with him. He is not concerned with the outside, but the inside of the cup.

I see now you are just venting on things we cannot change in the world regarding hate, which has nothing to do with the heading of your post, the real message of Christ's answer....

We are all affected of being hated of others to some degree.  The world does not run on love, but greed and envy, and Jesus calls us out of this world spiritually to be separate from them.  I don't know what else to say?

Now we mustn't provoke others to anger also.  A simple thank you goes a long way.  You sounded harsh, and I felt angered when I read your reply.  Forgive me too.  I was only trying to help.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  40,780
  • Content Per Day:  7.95
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

5 hours ago, Churchmouse said:

How far should we take the message  of Christ when in Mark 12:17, He said And Jesus answering said unto them, Render to Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and to God the things that are God's. And they marvelled at him.

I think anger is a short period of insanity that overwelms us all and I would ask you if you've ever spout off at some inocent because you were in this state.

I think anger and hate are two of the things that eject love from our hearts and what are we without the Love that Christ gave us.

I think this is a tactic of the Devil to seduce us to the qoute/unqoute Dark Side.

I also have a thing

It is set forth by God that we should honor Him in the very least of our availabilities... certainly that which has been deemed to cessation the very least in eternal considerations.... for if one truly considers the creative element as that which passes away~ what exactly is there to love but God! Yet leaving us here to transform ourselves in the obedience of that which is least that the Glory born from the effort be great unto Him Who has created all things for such events... Love, Steven