IGNORED

How do you incorporate Biblical teachings into your lives.?

Churchmouse

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  91
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,216
  • Content Per Day:  0.80
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/02/1958

I think this is important since they have the virtue of others seeing the effect of God in practice.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  106
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,810
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Days Won:  2

I'm going to say that you are right - making the Bible applicable to our personal life is important.  In fact, I'll go so far as to say it's a doctrine of the Bible itself.

James 1:22-24 [This was drilled into my head and heart as a child as my church] = " But be doers of the word and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves. Because if anyone is a hearer of the word and not a doer, he is like a man looking at his own facein a mirror. For he looks at himself, goes away, and immediately forgets what kind of man he was. "

Matthew 7:24-27 = " Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock. But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who built his house on sand. The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell with a great crash."

So as to your question, how is that done?

I'll just tell you what I believe and what helps me.

• You've got to actually read the Bible for yourself.  :blink: I know that sounds stupid, but there are Christians in countless droves who believe that their Bible knowledge sufficiently comes from listening to the preacher, the Sunday School teacher, and discussing the Bible on internet forums.  It's like watching someone else eat or talking on a message board about eating.  You've GOT to eat for yourself - three squares a day or you will not grow, function well, and you may even die. Now you won't die physically from not reading the Bible, but your spiritual effectiveness and growth will dry up and crumble.
  • Pray before you read, while you are reading [stop every now and again], and after you read.  Pray MUST accompany Bible reading.  Ask God to show you what you don't know and reveal his truths to you so that you CAN apply them to your life.
  • You've got to ask the right questions when you read.  Is this passage teaching me that I need to repent of some sin?  Is this passage teaching me something about God, Jesus, or the Holy Spirit that I didn't know.  Is this passage something I need to meditate on today or even memorize (hid it in my heart)? 
  • Do topical studies.  Whatever issues are in your life - anger, laziness, sorrow - find those passages and read them in context, memorizing part of them for meditation throughout the day.
  • And do cross-reference studies.  I like to use David Guzik when I read the Bible because he shows you in other parts of the Bible what is critically relevant to what you are currently reading.  So does biblehub.com  Plug in a particular verse and on the right-hand side, it gives you the accompanying verses that further explain that can be found through the Bible.  Read all of that in context.

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.82
  • Days Won:  226

What the Holy Bible teaches us we should integrate those words into everything we say and do.

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,402
  • Content Per Day:  0.99
  • Days Won:  28
  • Birthday:  04/26/1971

How do I?  By the power of the Holy Spirit.

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,568
  • Content Per Day:  0.68
  • Days Won:  0

By obedience actually practicing the things the Bible says.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  155
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,464
  • Content Per Day:  1.02
  • Days Won:  57
  • Birthday:  12/12/1952

2 hours ago, gdemoss said:

How do I?  By the power of the Holy Spirit.

Amen ... And only by the power of the Holy Spirit.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,795
  • Content Per Day:  6.21
  • Days Won:  58

Colossians 3

17 And everything, whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by Him.

23 And whatever you do, do it heartily, as to the Lord and not to men;
24 knowing that from the Lord you shall receive the reward of the inheritance. For you serve the Lord Christ.