• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  320
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  6,830
  • Content Per Day:  0.84
  • Days Won:  1

6 hours ago, saved08 said:

Thank you all so very much for your advice. This is very helpful to me. I will share the scriptures with my boyfriend and see what he says. I have brought up Matthew 19:5 to him in the past, but that didn't seem to make much of a difference. His parents have been reiterating Ephesians 6:1-3  Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right. “Honor your father and mother”—which is the first commandment with a promise— “so that it may go well with you and that you may enjoy long life on the earth.” And this has his feeling conflicted. He even went to his pastor who gave him the same advice and told him he shouldn't marry without his parent's blessings. 

He sent me a sermon from Moody's Ministries, where the pastor said one is to obey his/her parents, even if they think they are wrong or don't agree, for there is blessing in it.

My thinking is that yes, we must all obey our parents, but the scripture goes on to say, "in the Lord", this to me means that as long as it is within Christian principles, you should obey your parents. But if it is not in the Lord, or not within Christian principles, then you are not breaking the Lord's commandment by not obeying. Am I wrong in deriving this translation from the scripture?

You are both no longer Children, they may give you advice regarding your adult lives, which you may or may not take, that's not being disobedient.

You can still honor your parents.

When his parents bring up Ephesians 6:1-3, ask them to read:

Colossians 3:21, Fathers, provoke not your children to anger, lest they be discouraged.

They should not provoke their adult children either. Its a two way street, they should be encouraging something that makes you both happy.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  496
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  0

On 10/6/2016 at 1:29 PM, saved08 said:

My boyfriend and I are Christian and love each other very much. We would like to get married, however there is one big problem. His parents, who are also Christian, do not approve of our relationship. They haven't met me yet, and they refuse to meet me because my parents are not Christian. In their eyes, my boyfriend shouldn't marry someone whose parents are not Christian as they may have an unchristian influence on our home or in our children's lives. We have already talked about how we would raise our kids in a Christian home using Christian principles. My boyfriend and I are really struggling with this. We believe that children should obey and honor their parents, even through we are both adults. And without their blessings he doesn't feel like he can or should marry me.

What should we do? Is it unchristian to choose your own husband/wife or to marry without parents' blessings? Please advise. We want to follow the Christian path. We're both praying about this, but need advice.

Why don't you both give it some time before making any final decision? How long have you been together? If his parents are this strong, did this topic never come out until marriage came out? Why would they let their son see someone if they are not going to agree to the marriage? Or your boy friend never told about you to parents? While it does sound harsh that their parents are being judgmental, it would not be fair to make any conclusions without knowing all the details.

You are very much right in saying we are to obey parents as long as it does not violate God's moral standards. But they are not saying anything immoral here. Frankly, there is no Biblical answer for this. You and your boy friends close relationship with God will only give the answer

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  91
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,216
  • Content Per Day:  0.80
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/02/1958

On 10/6/2016 at 10:29 AM, saved08 said:

My boyfriend and I are Christian and love each other very much. We would like to get married, however there is one big problem. His parents, who are also Christian, do not approve of our relationship. They haven't met me yet, and they refuse to meet me because my parents are not Christian. In their eyes, my boyfriend shouldn't marry someone whose parents are not Christian as they may have an unchristian influence on our home or in our children's lives. We have already talked about how we would raise our kids in a Christian home using Christian principles. My boyfriend and I are really struggling with this. We believe that children should obey and honor their parents, even through we are both adults. And without their blessings he doesn't feel like he can or should marry me.

What should we do? Is it unchristian to choose your own husband/wife or to marry without parents' blessings? Please advise. We want to follow the Christian path. We're both praying about this, but need advice.

What it sounds like to me is they don't have much faith in a person who they've never met's ability to control her own family. You control access to your kids, not your parents. These people sound incredibly controlling and unreasonable in their actions. I would be wondering more how strong your boyfriend is at controlling their influence on any family that you have with this man.

Matthew 19:5 and said, 'For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh'?