• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,568
  • Content Per Day:  0.69
  • Days Won:  0

On 10/9/2016 at 0:24 PM, AndyMan said:

If I was to ask God, "God which is the sabbath day of the week, Saturday or Sunday ?" Which day would he say. 

God bless.

AndyMan 

I personally don't think God would pick either one.  But instead he would say... 

Hebrews 4:7-11...Again, he limiteth a certain day, saying in David, Today, after so long a time; as it was said,  Today if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts...For if Jesus had given them rest, then would he not afterward have spoken of another day...There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God...For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works as God did from his...Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief. 

A person enters into The "Day" of Rest (the Sabbath) when they believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and become a new creature.  Being reconciled to the Heavenly Father through Jesus Christ.  The day we cease from our sins is the "Day" (the Sabbath) we enter into His Rest and cease from the labour of our sins.  It however is not talking about our physical labour but it is speaking of the works (sins) of the flesh we committed.  There are people who go to church and have never entered into the Rest (Sabbath) of God as their deeds or works are still evil.  There are many who have not entered into the rest of God because of unbelief as in the OT example that is being referenced in Hebrews 4.  A person can only enter in and have the peace or rest of God when they stop walking in unbelief and start walking in obedience to God set free to walk in the Spirit and not fulfill the lust (sins, works, deeds, wrongdoing, fruit unto death) of their flesh.   If a person finds This Day of Rest then everyday is Holy and one can worship any and every day of the week as one day is not above the other.   OT examples are for our learning.  

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,458
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  01/31/1950

has any one read John 20:19

That Sunday evening the disciples were meeting behind locked doors because they were afraid of the Jewish leaders

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Content Count:  1,029
  • Content Per Day:  0.15
  • Birthday:  02/23/1982

55 minutes ago, Yowm said:

Once again, it seems Paul prefaces this section with...

Romans 14:1 KJVS
[1] Him that is weak in the faith receive ye, but not to doubtful disputations.

and interjects with this...

Romans 14:4-6 KJVS
[4] Who art thou that judgest another man's servant? to his own master he standeth or falleth. Yea, he shall be holden up: for God is able to make him stand. [5] One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike . Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind. [6] He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it . He that eateth, eateth to the Lord, for he giveth God thanks; and he that eateth not, to the Lord he eateth not, and giveth God thanks.

I wanted to address the highlighted portion of scripture.  Is doctrine something that men can be fully convinced of in their own mind or are we to test everything by the word of God.  That statement alone should eliminate from consideration all points of doctrine that are based on the authoritative word of God.  This one of the main reasons why I don't believe Paul could be referring to the Sabbath that is in the heart of the Decalogue.  

13 minutes ago, coheir said:

has any one read John 20:19

That Sunday evening the disciples were meeting behind locked doors because they were afraid of the Jewish leaders

Yes, but I don't think they were assembled to worship or in honor of the resurrection. It says because they were afraid of the Jewish leaders.

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.36
  • Days Won:  20

7 hours ago, Remnantrob said:

Where is "the Lord's day" described as "the 8th day" or sunday in the bible? 

It does not have to be "described". "The Lord's Day" is description enough. Study "the first day of the week" in the NT, starting with the resurrection of Christ.  Also "Sunday" is the pagan designation, since that day was dedicated to the sun. (All the days of the week that we speak of today are connected with pagan gods).

Also the number 8, "the eighth day" and "the morrow after the sabbath" are significant in the Bible.  (Male children, for example, were circumcised on the 8th day after birth).

35 minutes ago, Ezra said:

It does not have to be "described". "The Lord's Day" is description enough. Study "the first day of the week" in the NT, starting with the resurrection of Christ.  Also "Sunday" is the pagan designation, since that day was dedicated to the sun. (All the days of the week that we speak of today are connected with pagan gods).

We know who the Lord of the Sabbath was because of scripture right?  Matthew 12:8 (see also Mark 2:28, and Luke 6:5)

For the Son of man is Lord even of the sabbath day

And we agree that the Son of Man is Jesus Christ right? So wouldn't it be equally important to know what his day is?  

By telling someone that the phrase itself is description enough and then guiding them towards how to study a phrase that you've already connected to the original phrase doesn't seem to be objective.  We can leave out the names of days and stick with day 1-day 7 to discover which day is the Lord's day.

5 minutes ago, Yowm said:

I take that to mean, let every man be persuaded in his own mind whether to choose one day over another or veggies over meat' etc.

It's not speaking of doctrinal truth, but an area of freedom and conscience. We have the freedom to stick by our conscience in areas like those.

Amen.  So wouldn't it be error to suggest that it is speaking of a doctrinal truth...i.e. the sabbath?  It's a pretty established doctrine throughout scripture, wouldn't you agree?

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.36
  • Days Won:  20

10 minutes ago, Remnantrob said:

And we agree that the Son of Man is Jesus Christ right? So wouldn't it be equally important to know what his day is?  

Yes. That is why the Bible calls it "the Lord's Day".  That term has been used by Christians for centuries to designate the first day of the week. Read what Justin Martyr had to say about it in the first century, and then read what some of the other Christian commentators have said about it in later times. For example Matthew Henry commenting on Rev 1:10:

The day and time in which he had this vision: it was the Lord’s day, the day which Christ had separated and set apart for himself, as the eucharist is called the Lord’s supper. Surely this can be no other than the Christian sabbath, the first day of the week, to be observed in remembrance of the resurrection of Christ. Let us who call him our Lord honour him on his own day, the day which the Lord hath made and in which we ought to rejoice.

3 minutes ago, Ezra said:

Yes. That is why the Bible calls it "the Lord's Day".  That term has been used by Christians for centuries to designate the first day of the week. Read what Justin Martyr had to say about it in the first century, and then read what some of the other Christian commentators have said about it in later times. For example Matthew Henry commenting on Rev 1:10:

The day and time in which he had this vision: it was the Lord’s day, the day which Christ had separated and set apart for himself, as the eucharist is called the Lord’s supper. Surely this can be no other than the Christian sabbath, the first day of the week, to be observed in remembrance of the resurrection of Christ. Let us who call him our Lord honour him on his own day, the day which the Lord hath made and in which we ought to rejoice.

Ezra, 

You're a sola scriptura guy right?  I love commentaries as much as the next person but I can't just rely on an outside source to prove or establish doctrine.  Either the bible says it is or it doesn't.  Or maybe it even hints to it.  I know that even church father's mentioned it like Ignatius, but I need to see a "thus saith the Lord".  And it's hard to digest Matthew Henry on that one because most opponents of the 7th day sabbath would say that the Lord's day isn't the (christian)sabbath as if there are 2 clearly established sabbaths.  Can we compare Revelation 1:10 with Isaiah 58:13,14?

10 I was in the Spirit on the Lord's day, and heard behind me a great voice, as of a trumpet,

Isaiah 58:13,14

13 If thou turn away thy foot from the sabbath, from doing thy pleasure on my holy day; and call the sabbath a delight, the holy of the Lord, honourable; and shalt honour him, not doing thine own ways, nor finding thine own pleasure, nor speaking thine own words:

14 Then shalt thou delight thyself in the Lord; and I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth, and feed thee with the heritage of Jacob thy father: for the mouth of the Lord hath spoken it.

It should be crystal clear that when John says he was in the spirit/ in vision on the Lord's day and Isaiah says that "my holy day" is the Holy of the Lord that the answer to our question of the Lord's day is that it must be his 7th day Sabbath.  We've already spoken about Jesus being the Lord of the sabbath, but that's another text that can help a reader come to his/her conclusion. The sabbath day belongs to the Lord, therefore it is his day and thereby making the Lord's day=the 7th day sabbath.

Guest shiloh357

The Sabbath Day in terms of the seventh day of the week is only given to Israel in Scripture.   It is never carried over as a commandment to the Church.