IGNORED

Switching Churches

da_man1974

Guest shiloh357
3 hours ago, GoldenEagle said:

I agree too many Christians in America think church has to be done a certain way or is wrong... I have been in a variety of churches in multiple countries personally. Let me just say that the experience is quite different than the pews and experience here in the U.S.

God bless,
GE

What "certain way" is that we think it has to be done?   Churches in the US are varied not only by denomination, but in other ways as well.  We have Native American, African-American Churches, Hispanic churches, Messianic Synagogues, Korean, Vietnamese, Chinese, Japanese churches.   We have churches that geared toward cowboys,  and we have churches that are geared toward those recovering from abuse, alcoholism, prison, prostitution, drug abuse.    There is, in Tulsa, "Rock Church" where they appeal to those in the Heavy Metal culture and it's not the only one.  There is another one called "Skull Church" that does the same thing, elsewhere in the US.

In my my city, there is North Point Church that is geared toward 18-25 year old's and they utilize secular pop/rock music in their services.  They recently (a couple of years ago) used ACDC's Highway to Hell, Journey's Don't Stop Believin' and other songs of similar ilk, in their services.  The preacher preaches from the Message Bible.

We have churches that appeal to young people and churches that appeal to older people.  We have Mega Churches and many with a whole host of bizarre doctrines.

I am just curious given the wide diversity of churches in the US, how is it that we feel it has to be done one certain way or its wrong?   I don't think that characterization really pans out with what is actually happening on the ground.

• Group:  Royal Member *
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  91
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  10,596
  • Content Per Day:  3.69
  • Days Won:  25

31 minutes ago, Yowm said:

So God's Gospel (Word), and Spirit are insufficient, is that your message?

Seems he is saying just the opposite.  The word is what is important, not music and how people dress and how they talk and if they have a beer with dinner..all things so much churches in this country get wrapped around the barrel about.

37 minutes ago, Yowm said:

Only seen footage of them.

You might want to consider making it a point to try and get out to some of them.

1 hour ago, RobertS said:

Feelings can be and often are manipulated; if all we are relying on is "feelings", then Satan has a pretty good "handle" by which to push, pull and swing us any way he likes. This is why we have Scripture which deals with facts.

Feelings were originally given to us to assist, not to be the "be all end all" of decision-making. Only children rely totally on "feelings".

Yes, we should not rely on feelings only, just as we should not pretend we do not use them in a our decision making process, that too seems to be something only children would do

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.81
  • Days Won:  44

2 hours ago, RobertS said:

Feelings can be and often are manipulated; if all we are relying on is "feelings", then Satan has a pretty good "handle" by which to push, pull and swing us any way he likes. This is why we have Scripture which deals with facts.

Feelings were originally given to us to assist, not to be the "be all end all" of decision-making. Only children rely totally on "feelings".

Again, feelings are not evil. The truth is a wise person uses the Bible, the Holy Spirit (prayer), logic, and feelings in making discerning decisions.

God bless

Ge

2 hours ago, RustyAngeL said:

I didn't say anything about audibly.  Holy Spirit does speak to our spirits.  Years ago just one day before my dad died, I had come home from the hospital  I knew it was the last time I would see my dad on this side of eternity.  I heard the Holy Spirit speak to me so clearly in my spirit I knew it was Him.  He gave me a scripture.  "No weapon formed against me will prosper."  I don't know why that scripture, but He knew.  I have never forgotten it, I even remember the exact spot I was standing in.  I was not even thinking of scripture but He knew what I needed to hear.  

Yes we need to be still and know that he is God, and He will speak to us and if we are in tune with Him we will know that it Him speaking to us.  So yes He can and does speak to us.  Our feelings sometimes lie to us.  So as for me I would much rather listen with my spirit to Holy Spirit then what I feel in my "gut"

For me at least, I believe the Holy Spirit speaks to me through my feelings.  I have always been one that trusted my instincts, and it has served me well.  The Holy Spirit knows this and chooses, in my opinion, to use this method to speak to me.  Our "feelings" are what make us human, we should not discount them.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.81
  • Days Won:  44

1 hour ago, Yowm said:

The straw was when you brought up organs and religious sounding preachers,tithing, dress etc., thus attacking the Church when really those are just excuses. You would have had a case if you said the truths of Scripture are not heard anymore like the substitutionary atonement for our sins, or repentance, heaven and hell etc. 

I don't know if I can explain this any better but I will try. Are you purposefully trying to misunderstand me here?

I said the message of the Gospel hasn't changed. Jesus is the only way to God. We must believe and repent of our sins. Anyone who calls on Jesus and confesses Him as Lord will be saved. And so on and so forth... Although many churches don't teach that either so the message in many cases has been watered down.

The method is what I've been talking about. In other words here's an example.

Method: Write a letter, send a text message, use social media, or send an email. All four methods or mediums will deliver the message right? However, today letters are less common place. I might write a letter once or twice a year. 10 years ago you might send someone an email. I send personal emails regularly. Probably one every few days. However, a text message or through social media might be the easiest way to get in touch with someone today under 50 to give them the message "Jesus is the Only way to God." The message hasn't changed. The method has changed. 

Does this clarify what I'm  trying to say?

God bless,

Ge

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  219
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  0

On Tuesday, October 11, 2016 at 1:39 AM, da_man1974 said:

We have been attending a church for about 18 years or so.  My kids were raised in this church.  Now they are not liking to go because there is no one their age there.  I understand that church should be about God not everything else.  There is another church available in the area. But we have made a lot of friendships and what not in the church we are in.

Not sure if we should switch or not?

Hi da_man1974,

I dunno if you've already made your decision or not, but I hope this will be helpful.

Speaking from personal experience, it is quite important how your kids feel. I think it should definitely be one of the factors in the making of your decision.

I myself am a teenager, and I know what its like to dislike going to church. My experience also had to do with lacking friends at the church I was going to. There was nothing wrong with the church itself, I just didn't wanna be there and that turned into a negativity, that after a while, I began associating with that church. In hindsight, I see that the reason why I was disliking that church and being negative, was bcuz I wasn't "happy". From my perspective then, I needed something particularly to be happy, and (maybe as a teen way of complaining??? I dunno…) I started being negative bcuz I couldn't get that thing. How was it solved? After a few months (not as a result of my complaining) I got the thing I wanted and I was "happy".

So, I guess what u need to do is either find out what they need to be happy, and/or help change their perspective on what will make them happy, then fulfil that one. 

I realize its not really possible to make evry1 happy, but if u can at least get them satisfied with hope that they will be happy later, then I think that might do it. 

Your decision obviously shouldn't revolve around what your kids are gonna feel, but it should definitely be taken into consideration. And whatever u decide, u could still visit the other church once in a while.

I hope this will be helpful.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,136
  • Content Per Day:  4.63
  • Days Won:  327

I'm not sure that we can make our kids feel a certain way.

Yet I think you hit the nail on the head. Our attitudes as adults, parents, grandparents, etc. are extremely contagious. I find that with my kiddos. It's good when I look in the mirror of my child's face and see God's grace. It's sad when I see my own words or actions play out in a way that clearly shows my children are disobedient or angry. They mimic everything - good and bad.                                      Golden Eagle

Heya Brother

I stand corrected!    I agree,we cannot "make" them or anyone else "feel" a certain way,we can be a great influence........thanks for the correction,I appreciate that because that is not really what I wanted to say.....CONTAGIOUS is a much better word!!!!:thumbsup:                                      With love-in Christ,Kwik

BTW,I would love to hear it,PM anytime!!!!~!

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  266
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  13,200
  • Content Per Day:  3.49
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  10/06/1947

Just a thought for those in America. Apparently 4,000 (four thousand) churches are closing each year. (from DVD `When God has left the building.`)

Maybe time to build our/your own network of relationships that don`t `leave,` when we/you leave a meeting. We have done that for the past 15 years in our area & have solid relationships that help in everyday life, plus help each other reaching out & mentoring others.

something to think about, Marilyn.

Edited by Marilyn C