• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  320
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  6,829
  • Content Per Day:  0.85
  • Days Won:  1

Vladimir Putin ‘orders Russians abroad to return’

VLADIMIR Putin has reportedly told officials to fly relatives living abroad back to Russia, leaving many worried about the reason for the “urgent” call.

The Daily Star reports local media as saying Mr Putin wants Russian officials and politicians to return to the “Fatherland” now.

The call extended to elderly relatives overseas and children, even if they are in the middle of the school year.

The newspaper says the edict applies to “administration staff, regional administrators, politicians of all levels and employees of public corporations” and that “anyone who fails to act will put their chances of promotion at risk.”

Russian political analyst Stanislav Belkovsky told the Star: “This is all part of the package of measures to prepare elites to some ‘big war’.”

It comes as relations with the West continue to deteriorate.

Mr Putin has cancelled his trip to Paris scheduled for October 19 after the two countries fell out over the bombing of Aleppo.

“With Russia, France has a major disagreement on Syria,” French President Francois Hollande said. “The Russian veto to the French security resolution prevented putting a stop to the bombing and the declaration of a ceasefire.”

Earlier this month, Mr Putin ordered more than 40 million people, or about a third of the country, to take part in a civil defence exercise that involved steps to take in case of a nuclear war.

Russia reportedly has built enough nuclear bunkers to house Moscow’s 12 million residents.

http://www.news.com.au/world/europe/vladimir-putin-orders-russians-abroad-to-return/news-story/7a161b208b03ae76b2237560a090c13c

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  593
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  55,875
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

https://www.yahoo.com/news/gorbachev-warns-dangerous-point-us-russia-ties-sour-090340767.html

Moscow (AFP) - Former Soviet leader Mikhail Gorbachev warned on Monday that the world has reached a "dangerous point" as tensions between Russia and the United States spike over the Syria conflict.

Relations between Moscow and Washington -- already at their lowest since the Cold War over the Ukraine conflict -- have soured further in recent days as the United States pulled the plug on Syria talks and accused Russia of hacking attacks.

The Kremlin has suspended a series of nuclear pacts, including a symbolic cooperation deal to cut stocks of weapons-grade plutonium.

"I think the world has reached a dangerous point," Gorbachev, 85, told state news agency RIA Novosti.

"I don't want to give any concrete prescriptions but I do want to say that this needs to stop. We need to renew dialogue. Stopping it was the biggest mistake."

As the last leader of the Soviet Union, Gorbachev oversaw an easing of decades of tensions with the West that helped to end the Cold War.

He signed several landmark nuclear disarmament deals with Washington aimed at defusing the standoff between the two superpowers.

"It is necessary to return to the main priorities. These are nuclear disarmament, the fight against terrorism, the prevention of an environmental disaster," he said.

"Compared to these challenges, all the rest slips into the background."

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  275
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  5,208
  • Content Per Day:  1.00
  • Days Won:  0

I removed a few posts in an exchange where Putin was called a generally not so rude, but a mildly disrespectful name. This took the thread off topic more than anything. If you want to give an opinion or describe what you feel are a world leader's political or leadership shortcomings, please feel free to do so, but without name calling.

God bless,

Steve

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  91
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,216
  • Content Per Day:  0.81
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/02/1958

Well, i stand corrected. Thank you steve and thank you YOWM. I'm not above saying I was wrong.