• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,784
  • Content Per Day:  6.23
  • Days Won:  58

8 hours ago, OakWood said:

The Nobel prize is not what it once was and has degraded into a farce.

Both Barack Obama and Yasser Arafat have won peace prizes. That should tell you everything!

Whether you like Bob Dylan's lyrics or not, they are simply NOT literature. They may be poetic and they may be meaningful, but they are NOT in any way literature and they were never meant to be literature but were designed to be accompanied by music and not published in print (even if they subsequently have been).

It's all part of the dumbing down of society. Reality TV, the Kardashians, rappers, bland pop music, mimimalist modern art designed to shock rather than educate or inspire, these are all part of the re-education process.

I've no criticism of Bob Dylan himself, by all accounts he is now a born-again Christian but he wasn't when he wrote most of his lyrics. He was possibly on drugs when most of them were written.

When I first read that he had gotten it, I thought hmmm they gave some long dead poet a nobel prize. Then I realized it was the singer. Perhaps the ones who judge the prizes read the poet and confused him with the singer?

Basically though, as you wrote, the prizes are a farce now.

• Group:  Royal Member *
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  91
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  10,596
  • Content Per Day:  3.73
  • Days Won:  25

This prize went to a musician/song writer in 1913.  Guess they have been dumbing it down for a long time

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  867
  • Topics Per Day:  0.24
  • Content Count:  7,331
  • Content Per Day:  2.01
  • Days Won:  31
  • Birthday:  04/28/1964

22 hours ago, Out of the Shadows said:

This prize went to a musician/song writer in 1913.  Guess they have been dumbing it down for a long time

Yes but he won the prize for the books and poetry that he wrote, not for his music or his lyrics.