• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  4,054
  • Content Per Day:  15.36
  • Days Won:  0

2 minutes ago, SavedByGrace1981 said:

At least is was for his LYRICS and not his singing voice.

Blessings,

-Ed

I think the Nobel committee "cherry-picked" his lyrics to award him the Prize.  As for his singing voice, let's just say it has character.  The same could be said of Arlo Guthrie, Joe Walsh, Janis Joplin, and others.  Sometimes character means more than perfection.  Will next year's prize go to Simon and Garfunkel?

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  105
  • Content Count:  3,803
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Days Won:  2

Oh, I think it's well-deserved.  You must not be old enough to appreciate the impact of his lyrics from back in the day.  :laugh:

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,923
  • Content Per Day:  0.61
  • Birthday:  03/22/1953

1 minute ago, Saved.One.by.Grace said:

I think the Nobel committee "cherry-picked" his lyrics to award him the Prize.  As for his singing voice, let's just say it has character.  The same could be said of Arlo Guthrie, Joe Walsh, Janis Joplin, and others.  Sometimes character means more than perfection.  Will next year's prize go to Simon and Garfunkel?

And another one of my favorites, Johnny Cash.

This reminds me of the first time I'd ever heard of Bob Dylan.  It was in 8th grade Social Studies class in about 1967, and I don't think any of my classmates had heard of him, either.

Our Social Studies teacher was a very young man who was in his first year of teaching.  I'm sure Bob Dylan meant a lot to him - now that I'm older and understand the generational significance, I see why.  But at the time, I (we) were just a bunch of kids who had never heard of Dylan.

Our teacher brought out a portable record player and put a Bob Dylan song on it (I forget which one) and said "Class, I wan't you to listen to this". Sadly, our reaction of laughter at the first sounds of Mr. Dylan's voice was not what the teacher expected or wanted.  We must have thought he was being funny or something.

All I remember is the teacher slamming shut the record player and yelling at us.  Oh well . . .

Blessings,

-Ed

3 minutes ago, Jayne said:

Oh, I think it's well-deserved.  You must not be old enough to appreciate the impact of his lyrics from back in the day.  :laugh:

Well, I'm 67 as of this past October 6 and I do remember his music.  I confess though, I was not into the folk rock type of music that he wrote and sang.  I much preferred Black Sabbath, Uriah Heep, Led Zeppelin, Chicago, Jethro Tull, Eagles, Bad Company, Styx, Supertramp, Cream and Mountain, among others.  That's not to say I can't appreciate his artistry and talent.

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  105
  • Content Count:  3,803
  • Content Per Day:  1.29

Then I humbly eat my plate of crow! :b: I'm 55. 

On ‎10‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 0:06 PM, SavedByGrace1981 said:

And another one of my favorites, Johnny Cash.

This reminds me of the first time I'd ever heard of Bob Dylan.  It was in 8th grade Social Studies class in about 1967, and I don't think any of my classmates had heard of him, either.

Our Social Studies teacher was a very young man who was in his first year of teaching.  I'm sure Bob Dylan meant a lot to him - now that I'm older and understand the generational significance, I see why.  But at the time, I (we) were just a bunch of kids who had never heard of Dylan.

Our teacher brought out a portable record player and put a Bob Dylan song on it (I forget which one) and said "Class, I wan't you to listen to this". Sadly, our reaction of laughter at the first sounds of Mr. Dylan's voice was not what the teacher expected or wanted.  We must have thought he was being funny or something.

All I remember is the teacher slamming shut the record player and yelling at us.  Oh well . . .

Blessings,

-Ed

I wasn't a particular fan of Bob Dylan, but I did develop a fondness for The Band that supported him on tour.  Mainly I became a fan of The Band because I was an engineer at Capital Records who pressed all their albums.  My favorite The Band album was Northern Lights - Southern Cross.

• Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  867
  • Topics Per Day:  0.24
  • Content Count:  7,331
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  31
  • Birthday:  04/28/1964

The Nobel prize is not what it once was and has degraded into a farce.

Both Barack Obama and Yasser Arafat have won peace prizes. That should tell you everything!

Whether you like Bob Dylan's lyrics or not, they are simply NOT literature. They may be poetic and they may be meaningful, but they are NOT in any way literature and they were never meant to be literature but were designed to be accompanied by music and not published in print (even if they subsequently have been).

It's all part of the dumbing down of society. Reality TV, the Kardashians, rappers, bland pop music, mimimalist modern art designed to shock rather than educate or inspire, these are all part of the re-education process.

I've no criticism of Bob Dylan himself, by all accounts he is now a born-again Christian but he wasn't when he wrote most of his lyrics. He was possibly on drugs when most of them were written.