Urgent advice required regarding marrying an unbeliever

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  3
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

Please note that I have also put this up on few other forums to get responses.

Praise & thanks to the Lord for having Christian forums like these.

This is urgent so I would really appreciate your inputs.

I was born in a different religion, but the concept of Christianity slowly grew on me since last 10-11 years or so. I am 31 years old now, and started gaining a keen interest in Christianity when I was about 20-21 years old.

So even though I didn't had any major testimony or experience that transformed my heart, I still believe the Gospel and have accepted Christ as my Lord & Savior. 

I try to live by the word each day, and daily communion with the Holy Spirit throughout the day makes me glad. 

However, I wouldn't say that I am a mature Christian yet, and have a long way to go.

Now here is the problem - my family highly objected to me going to Church regularly, and I had to stop fellowship as a result. That was about 6 years ago. So I kept my relationship with Christ as a personal secret, reading the word and growing spiritually - but in the secrecy of my heart. To the rest of my family, Christianity is not much a part of my life anymore - when in reality it is the biggest part of my life. I literally rely on it for everything, as I am very un-gifted and weak/immature/unwise in the flesh.

Now my family started to look for marriage proposals for myself, and after years of being unsuccessfull at finding a suitable match - they have now found a girl. I did talked to her, and she sounds like a very good girl, comes from a modest background, comes from our religion and cultural background (non-christian).

Everything matched between us, she has also said yes and I have no reason to say no. 

Except that I am really looking forward to a biblical marriage with a believer. I don't want to marry a person from another faith, hoping that someday they will too believe, and risk my spiritual intimacy with Christ as a result.

So what do I do now?

-At this stage I can't tell my family that I can't marry because I haven't even told them about my faith in Christ fully.

-Also, I am not a very good candidate for marriage per se. My educatonal qualifications, current financial status and looks etc. are not that great - and are only now getting better as I sow the word of God as the seed in these areas.

So If I do say no to this marriage, it is very likely that I may not get another marriage proposal atleast from my religion. (I am almost 32, and in our part of the world - that's too late already)

Lastly, I do not know how an actual, real body of Christ will recieve me. If I propose a girl from a Christian family - will they reject me stating that my faith is just some story that I made up? (I am not baptized or anything, nor have I shared my faith publicly yet.)

So if I let this one go, will I remain unmarried after not finding a match in either of the communities? 

I just don't have time as the family are expecting my go-ahead by tomorrow.

Please help.

Guest bonnieschamberger

oh my goodness Im so sorry that you are in this situation...I have no idea what to say but right now am praying for you for divine intervention in this situation and praying that someone else comes onto this thread and helps you more than what I am able to

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.35
  • Days Won:  20

11 hours ago, loving precious jesus said:

LPJ,

Bringing up this difficult issue at last minute won't give you a proper solution.  The best you can do at this point is let your folks know that you are not ready to make a decision and buy yourself some time.  After that you will need to take additional steps to get things sorted out.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,795
  • Content Per Day:  6.21
  • Days Won:  58

It would be good if you were open about your faith in Jesus. Try and get into a church. Once there, ask the Lord to show you a good woman to be your bride. He may have one for you or He may not, but marrying a woman who is not Christian will only lead to sorrow. 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.81
  • Days Won:  226

11 hours ago, loving precious jesus said:

Please note that I have also put this up on few other forums to get responses.

Praise & thanks to the Lord for having Christian forums like these.

This is urgent so I would really appreciate your inputs.

I was born in a different religion, but the concept of Christianity slowly grew on me since last 10-11 years or so. I am 31 years old now, and started gaining a keen interest in Christianity when I was about 20-21 years old.

So even though I didn't had any major testimony or experience that transformed my heart, I still believe the Gospel and have accepted Christ as my Lord & Savior. 

I try to live by the word each day, and daily communion with the Holy Spirit throughout the day makes me glad. 

However, I wouldn't say that I am a mature Christian yet, and have a long way to go.

Now here is the problem - my family highly objected to me going to Church regularly, and I had to stop fellowship as a result. That was about 6 years ago. So I kept my relationship with Christ as a personal secret, reading the word and growing spiritually - but in the secrecy of my heart. To the rest of my family, Christianity is not much a part of my life anymore - when in reality it is the biggest part of my life. I literally rely on it for everything, as I am very un-gifted and weak/immature/unwise in the flesh.

Now my family started to look for marriage proposals for myself, and after years of being unsuccessfull at finding a suitable match - they have now found a girl. I did talked to her, and she sounds like a very good girl, comes from a modest background, comes from our religion and cultural background (non-christian).

Everything matched between us, she has also said yes and I have no reason to say no. 

Except that I am really looking forward to a biblical marriage with a believer. I don't want to marry a person from another faith, hoping that someday they will too believe, and risk my spiritual intimacy with Christ as a result.

So what do I do now?

-At this stage I can't tell my family that I can't marry because I haven't even told them about my faith in Christ fully.

-Also, I am not a very good candidate for marriage per se. My educatonal qualifications, current financial status and looks etc. are not that great - and are only now getting better as I sow the word of God as the seed in these areas.

So If I do say no to this marriage, it is very likely that I may not get another marriage proposal atleast from my religion. (I am almost 32, and in our part of the world - that's too late already)

Lastly, I do not know how an actual, real body of Christ will recieve me. If I propose a girl from a Christian family - will they reject me stating that my faith is just some story that I made up? (I am not baptized or anything, nor have I shared my faith publicly yet.)

So if I let this one go, will I remain unmarried after not finding a match in either of the communities? 

Please help.

You are not from the United States? Your culture believes in arranged marriages?Why haven't you told your family about your faith? What would they do to you? You can not be afraid or ashamed of God. You say that you are a Christian? You need to pray about this. Give this whole situation to God. I do not have the whole picture.

• Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,228
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

Ayin Jade is right.  The Bible plainly states a marriage with a non believer is very hard, and knowingly defying God's word is worse.  He said what fellowship does God have with satan?  That is what is is like being married to an unbeliever.  It is better to trust God to bring the right person to you.  And you do need to confess your faith in God to your family.  He said if you confess Me before men, I will confess you before my Father in heaven.  

2Co 6:14  Do not be unequally yoked together with unbelievers. For what fellowship has righteousness with lawlessness? And what communion has light with darkness? 2Co 6:15  And what accord has Christ with Belial? Or what part has a believer with an unbeliever?

2Co 6:16  And what agreement has the temple of God with idols? For you are the temple of the living God. As God has said: "I WILL DWELL IN THEM AND WALK AMONG THEM. I WILL BE THEIR GOD, AND THEY SHALL BE MY PEOPLE."  2Co 6:17  Therefore "COME OUT FROM AMONG THEM AND BE SEPARATE, SAYS THE LORD. DO NOT TOUCH WHAT IS UNCLEAN, AND I WILL RECEIVE YOU."  2Co 6:18  "I WILL BE A FATHER TO YOU, AND YOU SHALL BE MY SONS AND DAUGHTERS, SAYS THE LORD ALMIGHTY."

I realize that this is very difficult in muslim countries and Hindu countries.   I am praying for you.

I will give you advise based on what I believe God would want, but it won't be easy to follow.  Jesus states in scripture that if we are ashamed of him, he will be ashamed of us.  You can't live your faith in secret.  You need to be open about it.  I am not saying you have to try to force others to accept your beliefs, but don't be ashamed of it. 

Biblically speaking, we are told not to be unequally yoked with an unbeliever, meaning we aren't to bind ourselves to someone who is not of the faith.  That is really your answer.  You aren't to marry someone who is not a Christian.  Here is something you might try.  You could share your faith with this lady and you never know, she might accept Jesus as her Lord and Savior?  But as hard as it is for me to advise you this way, because I do understand what you are going through, scripture would say that you need to share your faith openly and that you don't marry an unbeliever.  I honestly believe that it will only lead to sorrow in the future if you marry someone not of your faith.  Try sharing the Lord with her first.  Pray before you do it that the Lord will make her receptive to the gospel, and see what happens.  I pray that the Lord will give you wisdom to do the right thing. 

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  86
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  6,864
  • Content Per Day:  2.42
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  11/10/1986

God calls us to obey Him, even if doing so will be difficult. Very, very difficult.

You must not marry an unbeliever. It's not a suggestion in the Bible, it's a command. Doing so would be disobedient and sinful, period. You need to admit to your parents that you are a Christian, you are unashamed, you're sorry for hiding it (you should also probably apologize to God for hiding it when you could have been open about it and witnessing to your family all this time as a result), but you have to follow God. We are required to obey and respect our parents...unless they're trying to get us to sin. They may not view it as that, but that's what it is, and you know it.

If you follow God truly, He will provide. Remember all the times in the Bible when women who thought they were too old had children. God provides. He will provide you a Christian wife if that is His will. If not, then He won't. Either way, you are called to be obedient and accept His will.

You must come clean with your family. God bless, I will pray for you!

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  3
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

Hi everyone, just thought I should update you all on this situation.

After that day, I was so overwhelmed with everything that I resigned everything to God. 

I had a honest prayer - wherein I said "Dear God, let your will be done". That's all I could do.

And thankfully, the girl's family said no a few days later!

Apparently they had second thoughts on going ahead with this. (her brother did called me up a few days later to ask me about my job, future plans etc.)

This is amazing and I am so relieved.

Most importantly, I realized that it is when you are about to lose Christianity and this personal, intimate relationship with God forever - that you realize how much you depend on it, love it and can't do without it. 

The very next Sunday, I attended a church for the first time in over 6 years and it was great.

I'll make sure I never leave fellowship again, and am looking to go as deep into Christianity as possible to find out for myself where it leads me.

Thanks again to whoever took the time to read/reply to this thread.

• Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,136
  • Content Per Day:  4.63
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings loving Precious Jesus...

I'm very happy for you,praying "Gods Will be done" is the only prayer we ever need pray,His Will is always for our good,our very best& it will always lead to His Glorification!!!!You had stated that you did not know  how you would be Received by the real Body of Christ,the Body of Christ is your REAL Family!!!!!Brother,you are welcome & Received with arms wide open,with Love & Gratitude.....Praise Jesus!!!!      That is how!

Yes,as you can see,it is time to grow up,spiritually,physically,mentally & emotionally....high time!!! The Lord God is your Rock,your Refuge,your Provider,He is your Strength & your Salvation.........if it is His Will that you have a wife,a woman of God,then so it shall be....seek ye first His Kingdom & ALL things will be added!!!!!!

Do Not Worry
Matthew 6:32 For the pagans pursue all these things, and your Heavenly Father knows that you need them. 33But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things will be added unto you. 34Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Today has enough trouble of its own.…

God Bless you                                                       Glory to God                                                      With love-in Christ,Kwik