• Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.93
  • Days Won:  3

2 hours ago, Yowm said:

Unfortunately sometimes...

1 Corinthians 5:1-7 KJVS
[1] It is reported commonly that there is fornication among you, and such fornication as is not so much as named among the Gentiles, that one should have his father's wife. [2] And ye are puffed up, and have not rather mourned, that he that hath done this deed might be taken away from among you. [3] For I verily, as absent in body, but present in spirit, have judged already, as though I were present, concerning him that hath so done this deed, [4] In the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, when ye are gathered together, and my spirit, with the power of our Lord Jesus Christ, [5] To deliver such an one unto Satan for the destruction of the flesh, that the spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus. [6] Your glorying is not good. Know ye not that a little leaven leaveneth the whole lump? [7] Purge out therefore the old leaven, that ye may be a new lump, as ye are unleavened. For even Christ our passover is sacrificed for us:

In our overly permissive culture, this is rather 'mean' sounding, but God chastises those children of His that He loves. Heb.12

Oh so much to say here I know I should put in it into another  but post please bear with for a sec.  This brings up a question in my mind. As I have always thought that the church was for everyone. The Lost and the Found alike. But could it be that the church is really just for those who are not the Lost. That when the early church was set up and Paul was saying they should be doing this and that; that the reason for that was that back then  Christians  should be going out side the church and telling people how to become saved outside of the church. Instead of just sending the Lost into the church and hope that the pastor knows what to say to them to help them come to know Christ? That maybe back in Paul's day only those who were already suppose to be Saved came to the church. And the the reason for the church back then was to teach the followers of Christ how to go out side the church and bring others to know Christ.  I am by no means saying this is what all churches should be doing now. But I think it is a good question to address. Thoughts?

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  54
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,419
  • Content Per Day:  0.88
  • Days Won:  0

missmuffet quoted

"I do not like to feel like I am applying for a job when asking to become a member. I think that having to have "requirements" to join a Church is very sad. God would not like that at all. So what happens if a person does not meet the "requirements?". If a person has been attending a Church for quite some time they get the feeling of that Church. When asking about becoming a member often you are given information about that Church.That is all that is needed.  A long time ago a Pastor would shake a new member's hand and say "Welcome".That was it. What has happened since then? But I am sure there are still a handful of Churches left that are receptive to new members and not so strict."

warrior12 reply

Missmuffet, who is pushing the word requirements. I certainly is not suggesting that.  Your foresight in seeing what i am saying about church leadership and its structure is limited.   If a house does not have a proper foundation it will eventually crumble.  Be it a business or a church, you still have to have some form of management to operate.  There are the pastors and elders, deacons ect. They all have a role while the church is welcoming, it must have standards also.  Maybe for a house church with a couple dozen people, you can run it by word of mouth, but large churches has to have some accountability too.  Thanks to all and have a great day

Edited by warrior12

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.81
  • Days Won:  226

1 minute ago, warrior12 said:

I do not like to feel like I am applying for a job when asking to become a member. I think that having to have "requirements" to join a Church is very sad. God would not like that at all. So what happens if a person does not meet the "requirements?". If a person has been attending a Church for quite some time they get the feeling of that Church. When asking about becoming a member often you are given information about that Church.That is all that is needed.  A long time ago a Pastor would shake a new member's hand and say "Welcome".That was it. What has happened since then? But I am sure there are still a handful of Churches left that are receptive to new members and not so strict.

Missmuffet, who is pushing the word requirements. I certainly is not suggesting that.  Your foresight in seeing what i am saying about church leadership and its structure is limited.   If a house does not have a proper foundation it will eventually crumble.  Be it a business or a church, you still have to have some form of management to operate.  There are the pastors and elders, deacons ect. They all have a role while the church is welcoming, it must have standards also.  Maybe for a house church with a couple dozen people, you can run it by word of mouth, but large churches has to have some accountability too.  Thanks to all and have a great day

I understand that and yes you do have to have rules and regulations among a Church. But that does not include treating the congregation like a big corporation with all the politics involved.

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  230
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  4,941
  • Content Per Day:  0.95
  • Days Won:  14

1 hour ago, warrior12 said:

The above is a rather disturbing statement.  Absolutely, forgiveness is the church's business and compassion goes with that.  But there are lots of situation that  causes church splits and discords, because someone may want to have things their way.  Say for example [ please this is just for conversation sake ] a young woman going to a church has started to backslide and bring worldly ways into the church, started wearing mini skirts and short tops.  She is spoken to by the elders and she refuses to remedy her ways.   Are you to accommodate her in her persistent ways.  Some people have taken the kindness of the church and have used it for their own exploitation.  A Christ centered church would also see the the Lord's place of worship has to be respected and  the simple rules obeyed.  Churches don't make draconian rules to enslave people, it is to protect you and the worshipers attending and to have some order there.   Every structured organisation has a method of maintenance or it will fall apart.  Even though it is dealing with spiritual things, human elements are there.

In Jesus time, would He have agreed or would He have thought this sounded like the Pharisees ? Why would worshippers need protection? If they are godly people they should welcome the lost or those who misstepped. Gently show them the wrong they do and take them under the wing and help them, teach them the way to live but to refuse them any part in the church...wrong. I cannot see Jesus turning anyone away.

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  230
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  4,941
  • Content Per Day:  0.95
  • Days Won:  14

15 minutes ago, missmuffet said:

I understand that and yes you do have to have rules and regulations among a Church. But that does not include treating the congregation like a big corporation with all the politics involved.

Sadly churches are becoming corporations and forget the person to him they are to minister.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  54
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,419
  • Content Per Day:  0.88
  • Days Won:  0

31 minutes ago, missmuffet said:

Now how are we getting this far.  Start reading this thread from the beginning and see what is my first reply.  So far i have not seen what you have really suggest to this girl.  Tell her something, she is waiting on what to do next. oh well i made my suggestions, how about the rest.  YOWM has made his contribution and thank him for that and has provided some scripture to support what he has said.  good day

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.81
  • Days Won:  44

19 hours ago, jashley said:

I really, really want to go back to my church I was kicked out of. I cant stop thinking about it all the time and want to know if theres anything I can do to be accepted back into that church. It was like a family to me and a home and now I just feel so empty and incomplete without being a part of that church. Do you think theres anything I can do or any chance of being accepted back into that church?

@jashley would you give us more information? Why were you kicked out? Are they open to bringing you back? Why would you want to go back? Why not find another church?

God bless,

GE

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.81
  • Days Won:  44

38 minutes ago, Yowm said:

Predominately the Church is a place where the sheep are fed and edified although those interested in learning more about Jesus should by all means be invited to hear God's Word.

Example...If, therefore, the whole church comes together and all speak in tongues, and outsiders or unbelievers enter, will they not say that you are out of your minds? (1Co 14:23)

Although the Church today is doing a disservice to it's own members by tailoring their services to reach the lost at the sacrifice of their own. We have a lot of weak sheep consequently.

Interesting thoughts Yowm. Particularly interested in your thoughts in red. Why is it a disservice for the Church to try to reach the lost by tailoring services to be welcoming to those who are indeed lost?

God bless,

GE

• Followers:  12

2 hours ago, Yowm said:

Although the Church today is doing a disservice to it's own members by tailoring their services to reach the lost at the sacrifice of their own. We have a lot of weak sheep consequently.

After some more thought on this matter. I think that maybe a church should seek out God's direction for them. For God knows the needs of the community in which the church as been placed.

• Followers:  12

1 hour ago, Yowm said:

The next thing you know they are creating a 'carnival'/'circus' atmosphere to attract the unchurched and will water down the message so as not to offend. So talent shows are in and the warnings in Scripture are out.

Well I don't think the church needs to put on a talent show and do away with Scripture to get people in. I think the church needs to be more in tune with the needs of the community around them. Offering help to people in need. Food Banks, clothing give ways stuff like that. In fact, in my hometown which has many people who are low income and in need. There is a church that has a place in downtown where they help people who are in need to get the help they need. They help them fill out paper work to get the help they need. They also offer counseling. Someone to pray with you, and just someone to talk too.  That I feel is a good way to reach people who are lost.  I personally do not know of  any church around here who started putting on a show and stop preaching the Word just to get people in the doors. Some churches do put on plays and such. While still preaching the Word.