IGNORED

Do you believe in Dispensationalism, Covenant Theology, New Covenant Theology, or something else?

GoldenEagle

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.81
  • Days Won:  44

Do you believe in Dispensationalism, Covenant Theology, New Covenant Theology, or something else? Why?

Dispensationalism is a Christian evangelical, futurist, Biblical interpretation that believes that God has related to human beings in different ways under different Biblical covenants in a series of "dispensations," or periods in history.

Read more about dispensationalism here.

Covenant theology (also known as Covenantalism, Federal theology, or Federalism) is a Calvinist conceptual overview and interpretive framework for understanding the overall flow of the Bible. It uses the theological concept of covenant as an organizing principle for Christian theology.

Read more about covenant theology here.

New Covenant Theology (or NCT) is a Christian theological position which teaches that the Old Testament Laws have been abrogated or cancelled with Jesus' crucifixion, and replaced with the Law of Christ of the New Covenant. It shares similarities with, and yet is distinct from, Dispensationalism and Covenant Theology.

Read more about new covenant theology here.

Ultra-dispensationalism, also known as hyper-dispensationalism/hyperdispensationalism (although some theologians draw fine distinctions between these terms), is the teaching that Paul’s message was unique from the other apostles’ and that the church did not begin until Acts 28 Actador later. For this reason, ultra-dispensationalism is sometimes called “post-Acts dispensationalism.”

Read more about ultra-dispensationalism here.

God bless,
GE

Edit: Spinoff of want to investigate a friend's beliefs and added Ultra-Dispensationalism.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,029
  • Content Per Day:  0.15
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/23/1982

14 minutes ago, GoldenEagle said:

Do you believe in Dispensationalism, Covenant Theology, New Covenant Theology, or something else?

Dispensationalism is a Christian evangelical, futurist, Biblical interpretation that believes that God has related to human beings in different ways under different Biblical covenants in a series of "dispensations," or periods in history.

Read more about dispensationalism here.

Covenant theology (also known as Covenantalism, Federal theology, or Federalism) is a Calvinist conceptual overview and interpretive framework for understanding the overall flow of the Bible. It uses the theological concept of covenant as an organizing principle for Christian theology.

Read more about covenant theology here.

New Covenant Theology (or NCT) is a Christian theological position which teaches that the Old Testament Laws have been abrogated or cancelled with Jesus' crucifixion, and replaced with the Law of Christ of the New Covenant. It shares similarities with, and yet is distinct from, Dispensationalism and Covenant Theology.

Read more about new covenant theology here.

God bless,
GE

Edit: Spinoff of want to investigate a friend's beliefs

Something else? but you already knew that.;)

6 minutes ago, Remnantrob said:

Something else? but you already knew that.;)

Lol I did? :rolleyes:  Want to share again for those who may be new to the forums?

Not sure I remember discussing this with you.

God bless,
GE

59 minutes ago, GoldenEagle said:

Lol I did? :rolleyes:  Want to share again for those who may be new to the forums?

Not sure I remember discussing this with you.

God bless,
GE

I'm an SDA so by default I adhere to "replacement theology". Thought it was common knowledge...sorry for the assumption.

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,990
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,688
  • Content Per Day:  11.83
  • Days Won:  226

Dispensationalist

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.36
  • Days Won:  20

1 hour ago, GoldenEagle said:

This is the best way to interpret the covenants and how God has related to men. Since there is a "dispensation of the fulness of times" (Eph 1:10, a reference to the final dispensation) it would follow that there are other dispensations before that.

At the same time, there are some who believe that there are only five dispensations, not seven.  There is also Ultradispensationalism which adds another "dispensation" connected with the origin of the Church.

1 hour ago, Remnantrob said:

I'm an SDA so by default I adhere to "replacement theology". Thought it was common knowledge...sorry for the assumption.

Ah okay so New Covenant Theology then?

God bless,
GE

1 hour ago, Ezra said:

This is the best way to interpret the covenants and how God has related to men. Since there is a "dispensation of the fulness of times" (Eph 1:10, a reference to the final dispensation) it would follow that there are other dispensations before that.

At the same time, there are some who believe that there are only five dispensations, not seven.  There is also Ultradispensationalism which adds another "dispensation" connected with the origin of the Church.

Good point Ezra. I didn't include that in the OP but I'll it as an option.

God bless,

GE

Just now, GoldenEagle said:

Ah okay so New Covenant Theology then?

God bless,
GE

Not quite.  You stated that New Covenant Theology -

is a Christian theological position which teaches that the Old Testament Laws have been abrogated or cancelled with Jesus' crucifixion, and replaced with the Law of Christ of the New Covenant

I don't believe that Christ death cancelled the 10 commandments or dietary laws per se, so it would be hard to completely lump me with that line of thinking.