IGNORED

Do you believe in Dispensationalism, Covenant Theology, New Covenant Theology, or something else?

GoldenEagle

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  266
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  13,194
  • Content Per Day:  3.49
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  10/06/1947

Hi Golden Eagle,

I would hold to the dispensationalist view of God`s word.

regards, Marilyn. 

• 3 weeks later...

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  6,574
  • Content Per Day:  1.07
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  10/28/1957

On 10/20/2016 at 11:50 AM, GoldenEagle said:

Do you believe in Dispensationalism, Covenant Theology, New Covenant Theology, or something else? Why?

Dispensationalism is a Christian evangelical, futurist, Biblical interpretation that believes that God has related to human beings in different ways under different Biblical covenants in a series of "dispensations," or periods in history.

Read more about dispensationalism here.

Covenant theology (also known as Covenantalism, Federal theology, or Federalism) is a Calvinist conceptual overview and interpretive framework for understanding the overall flow of the Bible. It uses the theological concept of covenant as an organizing principle for Christian theology.

Read more about covenant theology here.

New Covenant Theology (or NCT) is a Christian theological position which teaches that the Old Testament Laws have been abrogated or cancelled with Jesus' crucifixion, and replaced with the Law of Christ of the New Covenant. It shares similarities with, and yet is distinct from, Dispensationalism and Covenant Theology.

Read more about new covenant theology here.

Ultra-dispensationalism, also known as hyper-dispensationalism/hyperdispensationalism (although some theologians draw fine distinctions between these terms), is the teaching that Paul’s message was unique from the other apostles’ and that the church did not begin until Acts 28 Actador later. For this reason, ultra-dispensationalism is sometimes called “post-Acts dispensationalism.”

Read more about ultra-dispensationalism here.

God bless,
GE

Edit: Spinoff of want to investigate a friend's beliefs and added Ultra-Dispensationalism.

I'm a "post-Dispensationalist."

Dispensationalism served its purpose in its day; now, it's time to move on.

See, Dispensationalism separated God's people, the children of Israel - especially in prophecy - from the Gentile believers commonly called "Christians." This allowed a way against the Replacement Theology belief. Gentile believers in what is called "the Church" do NOT replace the children of Israel in the prophecies that foretell of God's Kingdom. That Kingdom is still primarily for the children of Israel, not primarily for the Gentile believers. Gentile believers are grafted INTO that "Olive Tree," that Kingdom of the Messiah for His people Israel.

However, Dispensationalism went too far. Now, several dispensationalists believe that the Gentile believers in the "Church" will be within the New Jerusalem (or in Heaven) during the Millennium while the children of Israel will be upon the earth during that same time period. They are also commonly of the opinion that the "Church" - the Gentile believers - are somehow SUPERIOR to the children of Israel by virtue of the indwelling Holy Spirit, not realizing that the "indwelling Holy Spirit" was promised to them FIRST!

What Dispensationalism fails to see is that we are to be ONE people in the Messiah (in Christ).

Ephesians 2:11-22
11 Wherefore remember, that ye being IN TIME PAST Gentiles in the flesh, who are called Uncircumcision by that which is called the Circumcision in the flesh made by hands;
12 That at that time ye were without Christ (without a Messiah), being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers from the covenants of promise, having no hope, and without God in the world:
13 But NOW in Christ Jesus (in the Messiah Yeshua`) ye who sometimes were far off are made nigh (close) by the blood of Christ (the blood of the Messiah).
14 For he is our peace (our Shalom = Shlomoh = Solomon), who hath made both one, and hath broken down the middle wall of partition between us;
15 Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in ordinances; for to make in himself of twain (two) one new man, so making peace;
16 And that he might reconcile both unto God in one body by the cross, having slain the enmity thereby:
17 And came and preached peace to you which were afar off (the Gentile Ephesians), and to them that were nigh (the Commonwealth of Israel).
18 For through him (the Messiah) we both have access by one Spirit unto the Father.
19 Now therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellowcitizens with the saints (the Holy Ones, that is, the ones who are Sanctified or the ones Set Apart by God), and of the household of God;
20 And are built upon the foundation of the apostles (the Sent Ones) and prophets (the Foretellers), Jesus Christ (Yeshua` the Messiah) himself being the chief corner stone (the head angle stone = the CAPSTONE);
21 In whom all the building fitly framed together groweth unto an holy temple in the Lord:
22 In whom ye also are builded together for an habitation of God through the Spirit.
KJV

This was one of the biggest appeals of the Messianic Movement I saw when I was investigating them. "The two become one!" Jews and Gentiles worshipping God together.

However, they do NOT become one in the "Church," which is typically a Gentile creation. They become one in the Olive Tree! Jews (and other children of Israel) do NOT have to leave their heritage; their heritage is the ORIGINAL ekkleesia!

Acts 7:36-38
36 He brought them out, after that he had shewed wonders and signs in the land of Egypt, and in the Red sea, and in the wilderness forty years.
37 This is that Moses, which said unto the children of Israel, A prophet shall the Lord your God raise up unto you of your brethren, like unto me; him shall ye hear.
38 This is he, that was in the church (Greek: ekkleesia) in the wilderness with the angel which spake to him in the mount Sina (Sinai), and with our fathers: who received the lively oracles (living words) to give unto us:
KJV

The children of Israel (often truncated to "the Jews") do NOT have to become part of the "Church," particularly with a capital "C"! Rather, it is the believing Gentiles who become part of the ORIGINAL "church," the ORIGINAL "called out" group of people.

Replacement Theology = Jews + Gentiles --> Church, replacing Israel

Dispensational Theology = Jews --> earthly kingdom | Gentiles --> Heavenly kingdom

post-Dispensational Theology = children of Israel + Gentile believers --> Olive-Tree Kingdom of God and His Messiah, absorbing Gentiles

• 1 year later...

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  170
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  01/21/1958

I have followed dispensationalism as explained in the original post from 1978 (When I was saved) until sometime in 2,000, when I came to reject the pre-tribulation rapture of the church.  (I hold to the pre-wrath position, but I do not profess to be an expert.) Now I still consider myself to be a dispensationalist in that I interpret the scriptures literally when the literal sense makes common sense, I recognize 7 dispensations, and I am still pre-millennial.  It has caused me no small amount of internal struggle to be out of step with practically everybody I have ever gone to church with for 40 years. 

I remember reading C. H. Spurgeon once when he quoted 2 Peter 3:9 ¶ The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.  Spurgeon then said, "My theology cannot explain this verse, therefore I bow to the Holy Spirit".  In like fashion, I have determined to attach full authority to the Word of God and give secondary allegiance to my theology.  Everybody says they do that, but usually nothing interrupts their loyalty to their theology.

• This is Worthy 1