• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,029
  • Content Per Day:  0.15
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/23/1982

The title is pretty self explanatory. I think a lot of people say the same words and have a different understanding of what it means.  How does the bible define salvation?  What were you saved from?  Thanks for the texts in advance.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.35
  • Days Won:  20

7 hours ago, Remnantrob said:

How does the bible define salvation?

Salvation means both redemption and deliverance.  The Bible does not so much "defines" salvation as "describes" salvation.

But it goes significantly beyond that. Christians are not only saved "from" some things, but also saved "unto" many things.  So, in effect, salvation is complex. 

Sinners are saved from:

1. The wrath of God.

2. Judgment for sins.

3. Hades.

4. Eternal Hell (the Lake of Fire).

5. The power of Satan (and his evil spirits).

6. The power of death, decay, and corruption.

7. The power of sin.

8. The power of guilt.

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.81
  • Days Won:  226

Question: "What is salvation? What is the Christian doctrine of salvation?"

Answer:
Salvation is deliverance from danger or suffering. To save is to deliver or protect. The word carries the idea of victory, health, or preservation. Sometimes, the Bible uses the words saved or salvation to refer to temporal, physical deliverance, such as Paul’s deliverance from prison (Philippians 1:19).

More often, the word “salvation” concerns an eternal, spiritual deliverance. When Paul told the Philippian jailer what he must do to be saved, he was referring to the jailer’s eternal destiny (Acts 16:30-31). Jesus equated being saved with entering the kingdom of God (Matthew 19:24-25).

What are we saved from? In the Christian doctrine of salvation, we are saved from “wrath,” that is, from God’s judgment of sin (Romans 5:9; 1 Thessalonians 5:9). Our sin has separated us from God, and the consequence of sin is death (Romans 6:23). Biblical salvation refers to our deliverance from the consequence of sin and therefore involves the removal of sin.

Who does the saving? Only God can remove sin and deliver us from sin’s penalty (2 Timothy 1:9; Titus 3:5).

How does God save? In the Christian doctrine of salvation, God has rescued us through Christ (John 3:17). Specifically, it was Jesus’ death on the cross and subsequent resurrection that achieved our salvation (Romans 5:10; Ephesians 1:7). Scripture is clear that salvation is the gracious, undeserved gift of God (Ephesians 2:5, 8) and is only available through faith in Jesus Christ (Acts 4:12).

How do we receive salvation? We are saved by faith. First, we must hear the gospel—the good news of Jesus’ death and resurrection (Ephesians 1:13). Then, we must believe—fully trust the Lord Jesus (Romans 1:16). This involves repentance, a changing of mind about sin and Christ (Acts 3:19), and calling on the name of the Lord (Romans 10:9-10, 13).

A definition of the Christian doctrine of salvation would be “The deliverance, by the grace of God, from eternal punishment for sin which is granted to those who accept by faith God’s conditions of repentance and faith in the Lord Jesus.” Salvation is available in Jesus alone (John 14:6; Acts 4:12) and is dependent on God alone for provision, assurance, and security.

https://gotquestions.org/Christian-doctrine-salvation.html

Thanks for the answers so far.  I often hear on a variation of topics I believe the bible teaches blah blah blah but if you don't agree with me whatever because it's not salvific/salvational.  That's one of the reason's I asked the question.  Would I be looking into this scripture too much to say it could define salvation?

Matthew 1:21

21 And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name Jesus: for he shall save his people from their sins.  

That's what I understand to be salvation.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,136
  • Content Per Day:  4.63
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings Beloved Brother

Saved from What?

We are saved or born again but what exactly are we saved from?  The fact is that we are not just saved from going to hell, we are not saved only from our sins, but we are actually saved from the wrath of God.  Paul wrote that “the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who suppress the truth in unrighteousness” (Rom 1:18).  Jesus warned that “Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life; whoever does not obey the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God remains on him” (John 3:36).  There is a day coming when God will come “out from his place to punish the inhabitants of the earth for their iniquity, and the earth will disclose the blood shed on it, and will no more cover its slain” (Isaiah 26:11) and He will “execute great vengeance on them with wrathful rebukes. Then they will know that I am the Lord, when I lay my vengeance upon them” (Ezk 25:17). That is why we should “not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather fear him who can destroy both soul and body in hell” (Matt 10:28).

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/christiancrier/2014/08/10/top-7-bible-verses-about-salvation/

The New Testament articulates salvation in terms of past, present, and future time. In Christ we were elected before the foundation of the world ( Eph 1:4 ). In hope we were saved ( Rom 8:24 ). Yet the cross is the power of God for those who are being saved ( 1 Cor 1:18 ). Likewise Paul's readers are admonished to work out their salvation with fear and trembling ( Php 2:12 ). And there is yet a salvation that lies waiting to be revealed in the last time ( 1 Peter 1:5 ), a redemption for which we groan inwardly ( Rom 8:23 ). For Paul, the past dimension of salvation is generally conceived as justification, redemption, and reconciliation, while its present dimension is depicted in terms of the Spirit's sanctifying work. Its future dimension is said to be glorification, the culmination of the saving process wherein believers will experience Christ's presence in new and resurrected bodies no longer burdened by the vestiges of sin.

http://www.biblestudytools.com/dictionary/salvation/

I was a bit lazy today,foot hurts ....but I did look up all the references to Scripture they used in both these commentaries &  I was well, pleased........you did ask for some text             Love in Christ ,Kwik

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.35
  • Days Won:  20

1 hour ago, Remnantrob said:

That's what I understand to be salvation.

One should not take a single verse to determine a complete doctrine. Matthew 1:21 is more about the meaning of Jesus (Yeshua or Yehoshua or Yahshua) which means GOD IS [OUR] SALVATION (Yah + shua). So God, as the Man Christ Jesus, is the Savior of His people (and from other Scriptures) He is the Savior of the world.  Even more He Himself is our Righteousness, therefore our salvation.

1 hour ago, Ezra said:

One should not take a single verse to determine a complete doctrine. Matthew 1:21 is more about the meaning of Jesus (Yeshua or Yehoshua or Yahshua) which means GOD IS [OUR] SALVATION (Yah + shua). So God, as the Man Christ Jesus, is the Savior of His people (and from other Scriptures) He is the Savior of the world.  Even more He Himself is our Righteousness, therefore our salvation.

Agreed.  Isaiah 28:10

10 For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little:

Deuteronomy 19:15...last part

15 One witness shall not rise up against a man for any iniquity, or for any sin, in any sin that he sinneth: at the mouth of two witnesses, or at the mouth of three witnesses, shall the matter be established.

Let me get back to you on the other texts because I just got back from lunch. 

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  1,370
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Birthday:  07/18/1868

the natural state of man is to live in rebellion from God and leads us into living a life that pleases us not God, and that separates us from God. We can not be with him on an eternal basis which translates to hell after death.

When we are "Saved" our rebellion is cancelled ( sin is our rebellion) the punishment for our rebellion is paid by Jesus shed blood.

Salvation is then a 3 part process.

1) we are freed from the punishment from sin.

2) we are freed from the power of sin, meaning we no longer have to choose it- we have the liberty to reject sin in our live. This is a life long process also called sanctification.

3) then when we die and shed our fleshly bodies we are saved from the presence of sin- because with out our fleshly bodies we can exist totally free from sin

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  6
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

(From King James version)

For we are saved by hope: but hope that is seen is not hope: for what a man seeth, why doth he yet hope for?" (Roman 8:24)

(Someone has put this verse)

Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ: (Philippians 1:6)

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  977
  • Content Per Day:  0.21

Salvation has many facets. It isn't just the freedom from condemnation and sin. It is also the freedom to live in righteousness, holiness, and in obedience to God's commandments. Salvation is the power to love the unlovable; to have compassion on the undeserving; to show mercy to the unmerciful. It is Christ Himself living His life in and through us to the glory of His Father's name. In summary, I think John 17:3 says it all. "Eternal life is knowing thee, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom Thou hast sent".

Salvation is the receiving of the Light that enables us to know God. It is the final realization of God's eternal plan for mankind, that He, by His power, mercy and grace, may, through man's obedience to the gospel, eradicate forever the lies, insinuations, accusations, and deceptions of Satan, and thereby fully vindicating God in all His purposes and dealings with His creation, both to angels and men.