missmuffet

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

From what I understand in Scripture we are to respect all Christians and unbelievers? That the saying " Respect is earned" is not Biblical. There are a number of people I just do not respect. What do you think about the words of "Got Questions"?. Please do not be bias just because it is got questions but only the words. Please give me critique with Scripture not just your opinion.

Question: "What does the Bible say about respect?"

Answer:
The apostle Peter summarizes the Bible’s teaching on respect in his first Epistle: “Show proper respect to everyone: Love the brotherhood of believers, fear God, honor the king” (1 Peter 2:17). This passage encompasses four major areas of our lives, teaching us that, as followers of Christ, we should respect all men, other Christians, God, and governmental authorities. The word respect is a translation of the Greek word timēsate, meaning “honor or value.” It literally means “to place a great value or high price on something.” Interestingly, today we tend to place our values on our personal rights and the equality of man. However, biblical respect is far different, more about a perceived inequality in that we recognize that some things and some people are more important than we (compare Philippians 2:3).

To respect everyone, believers must be conscious that God has created all people in His image, regardless of whether they believe in Christ. We should show them proper respect and honor because their souls are of more value than all the wealth in the world (Luke 10:33–34; 1 Corinthians 10:33).

Loving the brotherhood of believers means to love all believers, regardless of color, nationality, opinions, or affiliations. We are to demonstrate to the world that we love our brothers and sisters in Christ. The apostle John wrote of this principle a number of times. Quoting Jesus, he writes, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another” (John 13:34–35; cf. 15:12; 1 John 3:23).

https://gotquestions.org/Bible-respect.html

The word fear is a translation of the Greek word phobeisthe, meaning “fear, dread, and respect.” The word also implies that our fear of Him leads to us to total obedience (Leviticus 18:4; Psalm 119:67; John 14:15). Though we are to honor the king, we should “fear” God (compare Deuteronomy 10:12; Isaiah 8:13). The bottom line is that it is God alone whom we should “fear” in the sense of having an awed respect.

We honor and respect our governing authorities because they exist by the very will of God (Romans 13:1–7). Such respect must be given whether we agree with them or not. Those in authority are God’s instruments for carrying out the purpose of governing and worthy of the respect God mandates. When we obey the principles of this passage, we give genuine credibility to our faith. As believers, we are to honor our governing authorities and their rights as such. But we may not give to the government those rights that belong to God alone (Luke 20:25).

Christians are to be a people of order and discipline, of righteousness and justice. We are to be dynamic examples of love and peace so that others may be won to Christ and be saved for eternity (Matthew 5:14–16). Part of living as examples of Christ before the watching world is showing respect to others.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  91
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,216
  • Content Per Day:  0.81
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/02/1958

Does it say respect or honor?There is a difference between acknowledging a person for who created him and respecting someone.  It is the difference between honoring their potential and honoring how close they have tried to reach that potential.

10 minutes ago, Churchmouse said:

Does it say respect or honor?There is a difference between acknowledging a person for who created him and respecting someone.  It is the difference between honoring their potential and honoring how close they have tried to reach that potential.

Did you see the Biblical Scripture in the "Got Questions" article?

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  2,216
  • Content Per Day:  0.81
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/02/1958

3 hours ago, missmuffet said:

Did you see the Biblical Scripture in the "Got Questions" article?

Did you not quote it in it's entirety? Christ said love each other as you loved me. He also said What you do to the least of these, you do to me.  This is consistent with love and that is pretty much what I stated.

I have read all the scriptures noted and that which proceeded and followed and see nothing wrong with what I said.

Respect is the acknowledgment of what someone has done. Love is honoring them with the appreciation for who they are, above and beyond what they do. This is why you can love a person and still not like what they do. That's the same sentiment on loving the sinner, but hating the sin.

To me, Sin is a verb, not a noun. It is an action not a person.

• Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  315
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  3,491
  • Content Per Day:  1.27
  • Days Won:  3

Interesting topic MM!

Not as simple as you may think.

One may respect a person because of "Who" created them but not actually "like" that person but then again, as followers of Jesus Christ, we are called to love one another...

Is this love  exclusive just for the brethren, or the person you respect but dislike?

• Group:  Royal Member *
  • Followers:  8
  • Content Count:  10,596
  • Content Per Day:  3.73
  • Days Won:  25

I know we are not supposed to talk about "got questions", but here is why I do not trust them.  

The apostle Peter summarizes the Bible’s teaching on respect in his first Epistle: “Show proper respect to everyone: Love the brotherhood of believers, fear God, honor the king” (1 Peter 2:17). 

If you click on the link to 1 Pet 2:17, that is not wording of the verse you are linked to. In fact I cannot find which translation their words come, it seems to be a made up combination of many different bible versions.   Sites like this count on the fact most people will not follow the links.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  304
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,094
  • Content Per Day:  4.65
  • Days Won:  327

I just wrote a big long post & lost it because of that 'glitch" thing going on.....I can't even do that all over again.....basically I agree with OotS,I have to look up everything when it comes to someones opinions,commentaries & interpretations.....I can't even follow gq.org here,KJV does not translate timao as "respect" .......the Word of God is referring to the Fear of the Lord and that is what/WHO we revere(place value)  Then they go on to say we must respect governing authorities whether we agree or not?How can I be obedient to anything directly opposing the Will/Word of God?

Peeps,I'm not really sure I even understand what you are asking,you say you ate looking for "critique",of what,gq.'org? Their commentary?Or what you said about not respecting everyone?

All I have is my opinion......God is no respecter of any persons,that is to esteem one above the other,neither do I,......I see everyone as  equal,I can certainly be respectful but that does not mean that I place a higher value on anyone,what they say or do-however I respect the fact (or them) as individual,air breathing,heart beating human beings(just like me)  that God Created in His Image.....Oh I can certainly LOVE them all but that is easy because of Jesus in me       Love,Kwik

So according to Scripture we are to respect everyone. No matter what they say or what they do. How does this look to you?

• Group:  Royal Member *
  • Followers:  8
  • Content Count:  10,596
  • Content Per Day:  3.73
  • Days Won:  25

1 minute ago, missmuffet said:

So according to Scripture we are to respect everyone. No matter what they say or what they do. How does this look to you?

No, scripture does not say we are to respect everyone, even the thing you linked to from got questions puts it as "show proper respect'.  that would indicate that the amount of respect is different for each individual. With some individuals the proper respect would be none at all. 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  304
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,094
  • Content Per Day:  4.65
  • Days Won:  327

No, scripture does not say we are to respect everyone, even the thing you linked to from got questions puts it as "show proper respect'.  that would indicate that the amount of respect is different for each individual. With some individuals the proper respect would be none at all. 

Exactly!Gods Word does not say to "respect everyone".......I can't find it anywhere & have never read that