IGNORED

Flood waters. Did they filter the light from the sun ?

Churchmouse

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  91
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,216
  • Content Per Day:  0.81
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/02/1958

Genesis 1:7

King James Bible
And God made the firmament, and divided the waters which were under the firmament from the waters which were above the firmament: and it was so.

I know that God made us to live forever and that the sins of Adam and Eve took that away, but i look at the relatively long time people lived before the flood and how the longevity references seem to trail off after Noah.

I was wondering if the separation of the waters above the firmament mean that God created a layer of water surrounding the planet that would filter out the UV rays of the Sun long enough to allow mankind to prosper  from Adam onward? I mean Death was apart of the punishment for sin, but if man lived as long he does today, then Adam would have had only a small amount of Children before he passed on and his children would also  have been restricted by the time they had to raise children, if it not for their ability to live close to 1000 years.

Do you think that the separation above, mentioned in Genesis  was the very flood waters that fell for 40 days and forty night?

Genesis 7:11  In the six hundredth year of Noah's life, on the seventeenth day of the second month--on that day all the springs of the great deep burst forth, and the floodgates of the heavens were opened.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  315
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  3,491
  • Content Per Day:  1.27
  • Days Won:  3

I'm no Bible scholar ?

but this is some of what was explained to me as  a new Christian -

The seperation of waters were for the earth and the earths atmosphere.

Rain did not fall onto the earth until the downpour for the flood.

Prior to that, water would come up from the ground to water the grass, trees, plants etc.

So the atmosphere on earth was different prior to tbe flood - would this have impacted on longevity? I'm not sure.

Wasn't the shortened lifespan a judgement on humanity from God? That's actually a real question I'm asking btw.

Genesis 6 v 2,3: the sons of God saw that the daughters of men were attractive and they took wives for themselves, whomever they chose. Adonai said, "My Spirit will not live in human beings forever, for they too are flesh; therefore their life span is to be 120 years." CJB

But the longevity of man prior to the flood allowed mass population - hence populating the earth.

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,776
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Days Won:  2

2 hours ago, HisFirst said:

Wasn't the shortened lifespan a judgement on humanity from God? That's actually a real question I'm asking btw.

Genesis 6 v 2,3: the sons of God saw that the daughters of men were attractive and they took wives for themselves, whomever they chose. Adonai said, "My Spirit will not live in human beings forever, for they too are flesh; therefore their life span is to be 120 years." CJB

But the longevity of man prior to the flood allowed mass population - hence populating the earth.

And the Lord said, “My Spirit shall not strive

with man forever, for he is indeed flesh; yet his days shall be one hundred and twenty years.”

It doesn't say his "lifespan" shall be ..... it says his "days".  Not "man" as an individual aging person, but "man" as in mankind.

I don't interpret this to a declaration that humans will have life spans of 120 years. 

This was God saying that they had 120 years to repent and turn to him before the judgement of the Flood came.  For a long time after the Flood, people still lived much longer than 120 years.  It gradually decreased to well under 120 years.

3 minutes ago, Jayne said:

And the Lord said, “My Spirit shall not strivewith man forever, for he is indeed flesh; yet his days shall be one hundred and twenty years.”

It doesn't say his "lifespan" shall be ..... it says his "days".

I don't interpret this to a declaration that humans will have life spans of 120 years. 

This was God saying that they had 120 years to repent and turn to him before the judgement of the Flood came.  For a long time after the Flood, people still lived much longer than 120 years.  It gradually decreased to well under 120 years.

Hi Jayne,

Which Bible version is your scripture quote from?

Thanks.

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,776
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Days Won:  2

That was the New King James.

I like this site: http://biblehub.com

You can type in a verse in question, like Genesis 6:3, and it will show you the verse in a wide variety of translation so that you can compare.

18 minutes ago, Jayne said:

That was the New King James.

I like this site: http://biblehub.com

You can type in a verse in question, like Genesis 6:3, and it will show you the verse in a wide variety of translation so that you can compare.

Thanks Jayne.

The majority of my Bible reading comes from the Nkjv, but I do like to get as close to the original Hebrew meanings as I can.

I am not an NIV girl lol and I find KJV just a tad too much, thees, hast etc.