IGNORED

govt demands veterans pay back bonuses, with penalties

ayin jade

Guest shiloh357
On 10/23/2016 at 3:40 PM, Out of the Shadows said:

I agree the laws need to be changed, but I am not even sure that the pentagon can just say "well, forget about it".  Maybe now with all the publicity something will change.

Our government can skirt the law any time they want when it serves their interests.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,795
  • Content Per Day:  6.22
  • Days Won:  58

Some progress. THe pentagon has stopped collection while they figure out what to do to make things better. 

http://www.cbs5az.com/story/33486255/pentagon-suspends-california-national-guard-bonus-repayments?autostart=true

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,332
  • Content Per Day:  0.68
  • Days Won:  0

You're right, that is pretty bad.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.36
  • Days Won:  20

On 10/22/2016 at 6:43 PM, RobertS said:

This is an outrageous disgrace.

Well the Secretary of Defense has stated that there will be no such demands. 

http://www.newsy.com/videos/sec-of-defense-suspends-recollections-of-veterans-bonuses/

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.36
  • Days Won:  20

On 10/25/2016 at 6:59 AM, shiloh357 said:

Our government can skirt the law any time they want when it serves their interests.

Given that the armed forces literally waste billions of dollars in multiple ways, this is about as disgraceful as it can get.  It is also an attempt to undermine the military at this critical time when Russia and China are probably stronger than the USA. Can you imagine the negative impact this is having on soldiers?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,795
  • Content Per Day:  6.22
  • Days Won:  58

1 hour ago, Ezra said:

Well the Secretary of Defense has stated that there will be no such demands. 

http://www.newsy.com/videos/sec-of-defense-suspends-recollections-of-veterans-bonuses/

No such demands NOW. Not until they figure out how to deal with it. Hopefully they mean wiping out the debt but it might mean something else. 

• Group:  Royal Member *
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  91
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  10,596
  • Content Per Day:  3.70
  • Days Won:  25

8 hours ago, Ezra said:

Given that the armed forces literally waste billions of dollars in multiple ways, this is about as disgraceful as it can get.  It is also an attempt to undermine the military at this critical time when Russia and China are probably stronger than the USA. Can you imagine the negative impact this is having on soldiers?

This is not new or unique, it happens all the time in the military.   Somewhere around 15 to 20 years ago the DOD came up with an "alternative" retirement plan where at 15 years you get a lump sum of $30,000 and then get a smaller monthly amount when you retire after 20 or more years.  There were thousands (maybe tens of thousands) of military members who took the "Redux" only to be told 5 or more years later "oh, you didn't really rate that because your PEBD was a month too late" and they had to pay it back with interest.

This is not some ploy by the current Admin to undermine the military, this sadly is business as usual for it 

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  91
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,216
  • Content Per Day:  0.80
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/02/1958

I was in the Army when the Berlin war fell. I remember the government started up The Early Out program to reduce the military, by giving bonuses to get out before your enlistment was to come due.

Only those who were promotable to Sargent and above were to participate. I was a Spec 4 (P) in anti-aircraft artilary and was given the choice of either getting out early with $19,000 or being pushed out with $9,000 in a couple of months. I took the $19,000 and about 6 months after I left, I received a letter in the mail from Uncle Sam saying I was overpaid and they wanted $1,000 back. I never responded to it, but this goes to show you that this incident wasn't unique.

I just wonder if it weren't for it being in the middle of an election years, would we be hearing anything about this at all?

I just wonder