Does God get angry easily?

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,332
  • Content Per Day:  0.67
  • Days Won:  0

I took a Christian-based medieval times religion class in college and seem to be stuck on some of the beliefs that God gets angry easily and hates me and that I must be going to hell for some little sin I committed.  This isn't true, is it?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  86
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  6,867
  • Content Per Day:  2.42
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  11/10/1986

Well, any and all sin makes is imperfect, so yes, you would be going to hell by committing "some little sin." But it's not "little" in God's eyes, because sin is sin, and perfection is the standard.

But the Bible is full of reference to God's love, and even to God's nature of being slow to anger.

Psalm 145:8 - The LORD is gracious and merciful, slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love.

And God most certainly does not hate you. God hates sin, not the sinner. If God hated sinners, He would never have sent His own Son to die for them.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.81
  • Days Won:  226

8 hours ago, gerbilgirl said:

I took a Christian-based medieval times religion class in college and seem to be stuck on some of the beliefs that God gets angry easily and hates me and that I must be going to hell for some little sin I committed.  This isn't true, is it?

God loves you. Have you asked Jesus Christ into your life to be your Lord and Savior? Have you asked for repentance of your sins? If you have you are saved. You will go to heaven. We all sin. We are not perfect and we will not be perfect until we get to heaven. Although we do try our best to be obedient to God. We do not sin willfully knowing that God will forgive us anyway no matter what we do. That is mocking God. We read our Bible and we have a daily relationship with God.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  15
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  06/16/1985

John 8:44

43Why do you not understand what I am saying? It is because you are unable to accept My message. 44You belong to your father, the devil, and you want to carry out his desires. He was a murderer from the beginning, refusing to uphold the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks his native language, because he is a liar and the father of lies. 45But because I speak the truth, you do not believe Me!

So first thing for you to know is that Satan is a liar he also is known as the accuser.

Revelation 12:10

Then I heard a loud voice in heaven, saying, "Now the salvation, and the power, and the kingdom of our God and the authority of His Christ have come, for the accuser of our brethren has been thrown down, he who accuses them before our God day and night

Zechariah 3:1-2

Then he showed me Joshua the high priest standing before the angel of the LORD, and Satan standing at his right hand to accuse him. The LORD said to Satan, "The LORD rebuke you, Satan! Indeed, the LORD who has chosen Jerusalem rebuke you! Is this not a brand plucked from the fire?"

Now I would like you to know that you have been forgiven your sins if you accepted Jesus into your heart. 

Romans 3:23-26 ESV / 86 helpful votes Helpful Not Helpful

For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and are justified by his grace as a gift, through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus, whom God put forward as a propitiation by his blood, to be received by faith. This was to show God's righteousness, because in his divine forbearance he had passed over former sins. It was to show his righteousness at the present time, so that he might be just and the justifier of the one who has faith in Jesus

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  91
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,216
  • Content Per Day:  0.80
  • Birthday:  04/02/1958

23 hours ago, gerbilgirl said:

that's not christian based anything.  Going to Hell is an option that pretty much is ruled out by our beliefs as a Christian. Christ is our redeemer and If we believe in him and follow his teaching, then we don't have anything to fear from Hell.

This sounds more like a secular college doing the Readers Digest version of their own prejudicial ideals towards God.

• Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  155
  • Content Count:  7,464
  • Content Per Day:  1.02
  • Days Won:  57
  • Birthday:  12/12/1952

On 10/23/2016 at 11:31 AM, gerbilgirl said:

Change classes, stop listening to man and read the Bible and start listening to God.

17 hours ago, BK1110 said:

Well, any and all sin makes is imperfect, so yes, you would be going to hell by committing "some little sin." But it's not "little" in God's eyes, because sin is sin, and perfection is the standard.

But the Bible is full of reference to God's love, and even to God's nature of being slow to anger.

Psalm 145:8 - The LORD is gracious and merciful, slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love.

And God most certainly does not hate you. God hates sin, not the sinner. If God hated sinners, He would never have sent His own Son to die for them.

So since basically everyone sins you think everyone but a few people are going to hell?

Thank you everyone!  That class is over, it's just not out of my head.  My college has a Catholic affiliation, I'm not sure if that's what you meant by secular.  Much of the class was based of the teachings of Saint Augustine of Hippo.  Is he at all reliable?

• Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,242
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

In medieval times few people could read the Bible.  It was written in Latin (the Vulgate) and only a few monks and priests were allowed to read it.  Even fewer were allowed to read the Greek manuscripts.  So the people only knew what was in the liturgy, and that also was sung in Latin.  It ended up with the perish priest being the one who conveyed the gospel to the people, and that was not always accurate.  The medieval church was all about controlling the people and extracting money from them.  

After the printing press and courageous monks who sacrificed their lives to translate the Bible into the languages of the people, the Bible finally became widely distributed and all born again believers could understand God's message of unmerited mercy and favor--grace.        Rom 6:23  For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.  So no one but Jesus is perfect, which is what God demands.  Jesus took our sins on the cross, taking our punishment, so that all who believe that God raised Him from the dead can also be given everlasting life with Him.  

Yes, we are all sinners deserving hell.  But because of Jesus, all who trust in Him and accept the free gift of salvation that He purchased for us.   He gives us everlasting life with Him as soon as we turn from our sinful lifestyles and rely on Jesus' death as payment for our sins.  We have peace with God and can come directly into His presence in prayer.  

Thank You, Jesus, for purchasing me from the devil's kingdom with your very own blood.  Your salvation is a free gift to me, but it cost You everthing.  Thank Your for suffering and dying for me.  In thanksgiving I give my life to You to change my heart and make me more like You.  Amen

• Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,242
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

No man or his writings are perfect.  St Augustine was a godly priest, but even some of his writings contradicted themselves.  His beliefs seem to have changed a little over the years.  Perhaps the worst of his writings was something about "The City of God" which did not take God's word literally and decided that Rome was the city of God, not Jerusalem.  The Bible should always be read literally whenever possible.   His ideas about predestination changed some, as well as how we are saved.  

As stated above.  It is best to go straight to the Bible.  Read the book of John and the book of Romans.  When you don't understand something, as God to enlighten you by His Holy Spirit.