LadyKay

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.93
  • Days Won:  3

I am unsure what I should do about this or if I should do anything at all. But I went to a Sunday School class this past Sunday and ended up in a political debate. I do not want to go into detail about what was being said, but  the leader of the class was talking about how one of the candidates  running for president is better then the other one. And was dishing out dirt on the candidate that they did not like. Saying stuff like "if they get elected this and this is going to happen ect ect" The whole thing made me very uneasy and I felt like walking out of the class. I did not want to get into a political debate in Sunday School and you know how hard it is for me to kept my thought to myself. So my head was about to explode I sat there trying hard not to be a part of it.  I felt it was very inappropriate for Sunday School class. I am considering not going back to the class until after the election. I do not know if I should talk to the Sunday School leader about this or if I should just let it pass.  Do you think that it as okay what happen? What do you think I should do?

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  496
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  0

37 minutes ago, LadyKay said:

I am unsure what I should do about this or if I should do anything at all. But I went to a Sunday School class this past Sunday and ended up in a political debate. I do not want to go into detail about what was being said, but  the leader of the class was talking about how one of the candidates  running for president is better then the other one. And was dishing out dirt on the candidate that they did not like. Saying stuff like "if they get elected this and this is going to happen ect ect" The whole thing made me very uneasy and I felt like walking out of the class. I did not want to get into a political debate in Sunday School and you know how hard it is for me to kept my thought to myself. So my head was about to explode I sat there trying hard not to be a part of it.  I felt it was very inappropriate for Sunday School class. I am considering not going back to the class until after the election. I do not know if I should talk to the Sunday School leader about this or if I should just let it pass.  Do you think that it as okay what happen? What do you think I should do?

I am not sure what is the age group of this Sunday class is. Typically it is very common for politics to get into discussions when 2 or 3 have gathered! ha ha! :)

We usually go back and forth after Church service while having men talk. It is with the belief that each person has a personal belief and we are just sharing that. Nothing should be taken personal. You are right to say that such talks are inappropriate for Sunday school. It is surprising that the leader of the class would actually get involved in such discussions. Not knowing the structure of the Church, I am not sure who should be approached for this. It would sound appropriate to approach the leader itself to ensure such talks are kept outside the class.

I'm not really sure about the law, but the Church could loose it's tax exempt status if the staff (paid or not) talk politics by endorsing one candidate over another. Other than that, I know that I would have left if the teacher was talking smack about the candidate that I supported because it would have taken the focus off Christ and placed it on man. I go to Church to fellowship with Christ, not discuss human foibles.

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,568
  • Content Per Day:  0.69
  • Days Won:  0

1 hour ago, Yowm said:

I wonder what passage of Scripture the teacher was teaching from ;)

I wonder the same thing.  It could explain perhaps what led the teacher to go into left field pertaining to politics.

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,990
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,688
  • Content Per Day:  11.83
  • Days Won:  226

4 hours ago, LadyKay said:

First of all I do not think a political debate should be a part of a Sunday School class. That was poor judgment of the leader of the Sunday school class. The Sunday school class should be focused only on God and God's Word.....period. I am miss honest. I would tell the leader of the Sunday school class and the Pastor how disappointed I was in this incident. I would go back a second time and if the same thing happened I would not go back again.

• Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.93
  • Days Won:  3

1 hour ago, Openly Curious said:

I wonder the same thing.  It could explain perhaps what led the teacher to go into left field pertaining to politics.

I walked in  a few minutes late for the class and it was going on. So I am not clear what started it. But it went on for a while well after the time that class should have started.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  596
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,043
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

Politics does affect the church and the two candidates definitely have different approaches to how the government will affect the church.  So in my opinion it would depend on what was said. Hillary has made statements that seem to mean that we will have to change our beliefs on some subjects.  So if those things were the beginning of the discussion it might be OK to talk about.

Jim

If evil was being discussed Hillary could fit into the subject matter as well....

11 minutes ago, other one said:

Politics does affect the church and the two candidates definitely have different approaches to how the government will affect the church.  So in my opinion it would depend on what was said. Hillary has made statements that seem to mean that we will have to change our beliefs on some subjects.  So if those things were the beginning of the discussion it might be OK to talk about.

Jim

If evil was being discussed Hillary could fit into the subject matter as well....

There is a time and a place for everything. A political debate is not the place for a Sunday School class.

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.24
  • Days Won:  115

If you felt uncomfortable, you should of left.  Saying nothing, maybe the teacher would of approached you and asked why you left. 

7 minutes ago, OneLight said:

If you felt uncomfortable, you should of left.  Saying nothing, maybe the teacher would of approached you and asked why you left. 

OneLight , I would have left. That would have been a passive message...but a message. I would have spoken to the leader of the Sunday School class afterwards.